Another month heating sesaon officially starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well guys we are getting close to the start of another heating season.
Although it seems some of us never stopped heating all together.:buttkick:
With cooler air coming...yehaw...I love it when it's cooler it'll be time to fire up our wood appliances.

If you have not ,now would be a great time to make sure you flues have been brushed.

I woke up just a couple days ago to the smell of wood burning! Seems the wife wanted a fire. So she built one and WARMED up the basement. Middle of July and 80 something outside and the basement needs warmed up, go figure. I think she has it worse than me, except she don't see the need to keep gathering wood in the summer months. :dizzy:

Keith, heating season is still 2 1/2 months away in my area. Due to sickness in the family I'm a little behind this year in gathering my wood. I hope we don't get any of the heat the folks in the PNW are getting. Way to hot for me.

Nice looking crappie you are showing in your avatar. The nearest place to fish for them in any quantity is about 50 miles away. You'er lucky.

Middle of October around here before we fire things up. Unusual to get a frost till beginning of Oct. Sure am looking forward to being able to see my breath and watching the trees change.

attachment.php

No...that's not my breath.

We start in late september here in NW Oregon (not Portland).
October is the beginning of our rainy season and the stove warms up quick.
We always have ten or twelve slash-piles to burn. 107 degrees today (all time high in Oregon).
I was out ripping in half some pine with my worm-drive this morning, sweating my butt off by 8 AM.

I woke up to the smell of wood smoke.

We don't start a heating appliance until November 1.

I usually wait till the middle of Oct to start up. But I've never had to light a fire in June before this year either!:dizzy:

Felt downright hot today. Mid to upper 80's. Working on the woodpile isn't easy in the middle of the day. We usually light our first fire in Oct. Alot of people here refuse to build a fire until Holloween. The snow can be flying by then, but let it come I say. I've got plenty of wood to last the season!

I've been devoting between 3-6 hours a week scrounging cutting and splitting every week for quite some time. I get wood for myself and a good friend that has less acess to wood than I do. I was maul splitting today and some old bag walking down the road said, "it's too hot to do that today!" Why can't people just be quiet and mind their own buisness? Reminds me of last year when I was replacing my roof I'm mid july sweating my ass off and some busybody cunny screeched up to me that I should've waited till fall. Well gee tramp, if the leak would have waited till fall I guess I would have! Back to the firewood issue. Scrounging, splitting, and admiring my work is just about my only hobby. :givebeer::dizzy::dizzy:

Unsolicited advice....I only allow people to give me the following advice: have a nice day.... Other than that, they are tuned OUT!

I see where you're coming from but I don't even like "have a nice day." They don't care about your day, it's just an empty pleasantry. Besides, I like having a bad day. It's a great excuse to close the blinds and get 20 deep into a 30 pack then pass out.

We have first hard frost usually by the 3rd week of september around here , I'll have the wood stove fired in the evenings before that time.

A guy down the road from me hand painted a sign on a piece of plywood and put it in front of his house , it says " STAY AWAY" .

Went to the woods yesterday and flattened out the lanes with the skidsteer. The weeds were head high and needed flattened down for when the cutting starts. I've probably got a good month before my saw gets ran much but then it will be all out cuttin fever till the weather turns real bad. I've never been much on cuttin ahead although every year I swear I'm gonna do it. Luckily we have so much dead stuff just waiting to be cut down and burned that seasoning isn't usually an issue. I do have a HUGE half live fallen over locust that I wish I had cut up this summer. I'll cut it up first and it should be ok by mid winter.
If all the summer festivities and get togethers would just get over with I'd be in good shape.

I wore a jacket to work this morning and was thinking the same thing. Since we instlalled the OWB we have been firing up mid-September.

Keith, heating season is still 2 1/2 months away in my area. Due to sickness in the family I'm a little behind this year in gathering my wood. I hope we don't get any of the heat the folks in the PNW are getting. Way to hot for me.

Nice looking crappie you are showing in your avatar. The nearest place to fish for them in any quantity is about 50 miles away. You'er lucky.
Since we deal with folks all over the country...I guess what I was saying is that it starts for us.
I know that we see frost around the 1st of September.Our lakes normally have a good solid 4" of ice by Thanksgiving.

Took a half day Thurs for a bit of R&R....that's rearing and reeling.
DSC03322.jpg

Had a funeral yesterday to go to in Mpls....

You can tell we are getting close with the heavy dew in the grass every morning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back