Another new member says Hi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all!
Bob here, aka: Xtra.

I'm interested in starting my own tree service here in NJ.

My formal background is in marketing business software but I've spent many summers doing landscaping and as a tree ground guy. Well, I was laid off from my marketing job (after 10 years being cooped up in an office) and so began working full-time for a tree business to clear my head . . . I had forgotten how much I liked working outside. That was 2 years ago and now the tree business bug has really got me. The guy I work for is a real hack so, I've decided to take some ArborMaster classes to see what I've been missing out on.

I really want to start out right and grow a real business not just a part-time pickup & saw deal. My stepbrother runs a large landscaping business and is willing to sub me for all his tree work, which should help get me started.
(sorry, for the long background babble)

This site has great information!
I hope you won't mind my occasional newbie questions.

First question:
So, how do you tie this thing called a "bowline"????
(only joking)

- Bob

Originally posted by Xtra

First question:
So, how do you tie this thing called a "bowline"????
(only joking)

- Bob

Hello back and even though you may be joking about 'bowline' you would be surprised how many in the business can't tie it properly.:)

Welcome to the site, and thank you for the background.

Most of the owners here, like myself, started out from such humble beginnings, so you're not alone.

I started out (equipment-wise) with a 1/2 ton pickup and a chain saw and little more.

Howdy.

I started (August 2003), and are still using a pickup and trailer. However, I ran up the credit cards (which have always been paid in full at the close of the month) and bought me the best equipment. I have a good bit of equipment now, and stay fairly busy, after school and on weekends. One thing that I have found is to always buy the best, because it is worth it. Just because it cost more doesnt always mean that it is better, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Check out Sherrill (an AS sponsor) it is a great place to get your gear.

Carl

Ah the jokes....

It is mad about me for climbing, and bumping it into stuff, ect. A real PITA (gotta wipe with the other hand now).

Carl

LOL Carl... if it's THAT mad at you, looks like your other hand...

um...

you know...

;)

Well, you can't say I didn't warn ya!
aaf_wink.gif

I might.... 3 pines gotta go (in another town) saturday, and more trims between then... gotta go to school at least one day to show it off :p...

Carl

I think Xtra's thread has been hijacked!

Back on topic... Welcome, again, Xtra!

Is your hand saw a Silky? And your climbing saw a 200?

Yeah I know, I'm an old master at staying on topic...

Extra, what equipment do you have now?

Thanks for the welcome guys,
No problem about the highjacking.

My equipment has not been bought yet . . . I've decided to wait and complete my ArborMaster training next month in NC and see what new school climbers use. In the meantime I've been window shopping in all the top catalogs - Sherrill, Baileys, etc.

Equipment that I was using:
- 021 for climbing (I'm thinking about looking at the Echo)
- Old Weaver belt, buckingham spikes, and an adjustable lanyard with a prussik . . . . I didn't do too much climbing, mostly just setting ropes for droppers and managing the ground crew
- 029/039/044 on the ground and a Stihl polesaw.
- Bush Bandit 250 (I really like that chipper)
- Carlton 4400-4 stump grinder (a heavy brute but it did the job)
*I was wondering how much the tracked stump grinders rip up a yard?

I'm going to get a dumping trailer (I've spent too much time hand unloading landscape trailers).
I'll be looking for a good used chip truck and will probable settle on some kind of bucket truck with a dump.

I really want to go all out (or as far as my finances & wife will let me go). So, although I'd like to buy new, the truck, chipper and grinder will have to be used. Right now I'm kind of a blank slate and any recommendations or suggestions would be more than welcomed. Luckly I have my stepbrother's shop to store stuff and can borrow/rent a lot of his equipment until I get set up.

- Bob

PS: No offense about the pickup & saw line I wrote . . . back in the 80's I worked for a guy and that's all we had one Homelite and an F-150, in fact sometimes I would even have to ask the homeowner if I could borrow their rake :)

I had to borrow a trailer too...

I would reccommend the ness, unless you are happy with the weaver.

I would get into rope climbing, you will be much better off with it.

Top handled saws, IMO make the best climbing saw

Get a silky say, perferabley the Zubat

Dump trailers are ok but they sit higher than regular trailers.

Carl

Back