Another new member says Hi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the one I meant... I am goin to edit it...

Get a Big Sho to set your ropes higher as possible, plus some. Get a coupla throw bags and a coupla pieces of zing it, and a line tammer to flake it back up. You can get all of this for under $200

I've never tried a Big Shot. I've seen the pictures and it looks pretty slick, anything has to beat climbing a poison ivy covered tree just to attached a rope for a dropper.

Hey Bob. Good for you on wanting to start out on your own. Just keep in mind that you have to have some basic skills. Arbor Master training is definately a good start. I have my own business, but have been sub-contracting, this winter, for a guy that has had a tree service for about 3 years, and knows absolutely nothing about trees except that there is good money. I actually got to see him try and climb today. But before he went up I had to re-instruct him on how to tie a "bowline" into his rope snap, and how to tie a blakes hitch. then I watched him free climb up this maple to set his rope because he doesnt know how to use a throw ball. Meanwhile I was in a tree in the back yard laughing like a hyena. Keep in mind. Its good to be eager, just not ignorant.

Oh, by the way, I finally figured this thing out and this is also my first thread I am responding to so I guess in a way we are in the same boat. But for all you jackels waiting to pounce on a new guy I have been climbing for about 4 years now. Yes I know I am still a rookie, and am learning alot from you guys.

Thanks
Rangers Lead the Way!!
Kenn

All good advise.

I have two seasoned climbers that will help me with the difficult/risky jobs.
As for running the ground operations I have plenty of experience there.
I'm going to training so I can learn some of the latest techniques and become better rounded.
Climbing for me won't be a full-time thing, just for the easy stuff until I feel absolutely confident of my abilities.
(I got a wife, 5yr & 11 month old boys . . . they need me around for a while longer ;-)

POUNCE!

:p

Welcome to the site, glad you got it figured out.

Sounds like you darn near split a rib, eh?

Nice to see another student of Roger's on here.

Right on. Just make sure you learn the basics and every thing after that is just a spin off of the simple stuff. Learn from your vets and dont be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.

Rangers Lead The Way
Kenn

First standing order of Rogers Rangers.

"dont forget nothin"

Oh you should have seen it. It was hilarious. He has now been nick named "Brother Flounder" And if He didnt have hemaroid problems before. Im sure he has a few now after trying to decend into that nasty maple that had been topped about 5 years ago and was full, and I mean FULL of suckers.

Rangers Lead the Way
Kenn

W hat do you know about pricing and selling jobs..... not to mention tree evaluation and recommendations????
Getting the prices right can help get you off to a good start...
My recommendation... Keep 'em high...
Anyone can sell jobs at the lowest price... it takes people and sales skills to close deals at higher prices...
Once you know you can provide quality work.... get your name and logo on the sides of everything with wheels and work to establich regular maintenance clients.... That is you automatically show up once a year and leave a proposal for the recommended work. That will be for high end clients.... people that want their trees cared for... which is much different than people wanting their tree problems solved...

Err, my ears were perking there fer a minute....glad to know I wasn't being talked about behind me back...

Anyhow, welcome to all ya ASite newbies, aspiring business owners, and learning fellers. (fellows? Err, sounds that way, but where o where are the climbing wenches?)

Hey Rock, whatsa matta....these guys too nice to lay into?

Dang I'm in a good mood! First we craned out 2800 board feet of big fir sticks that had been waiting. Then we craned the rest of a good sized elm. Then we did about 50 alders....in 13-14 picks!!!! Wish I could got pics, but it was raining cats and dogs all day..and the camera was at home. Gotta say it was cool craning 4 trees at a time....even if the biggest were 11-12 inch dbh and 50 feet or less in height.

And we did it all with the 17 ton boom truck, two guys were late, and we were done before 5 pm.....about $2500 after crane fees plus log sales, maybe $800.

Tomorrow we do two firs to really fill up the log truck load.

Here a pic from January, felling an 1200 board foot 65 foot fir stick right alongside a house....just another tite squeeze.....cool, but Janet Jackson has o so much to squeeze.....

Howdy

How= How
are is understood
d=doing
y=ya

It didn't sound right to say howyd, sounded to much like howard, so it is Howdy.

Howdy all.

Carl, Etymologically speaking I think that the derivation was from "How do you do?" shortened to "How do?" shortened to "Howdy".
Entymologically speaking it bugs me. It makes me antcy. TFIC;)

Hey Carl, don't you have to get up early for school....

or is your lady not around?

Latest posts

Back