Another Porty Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got another question about the Port-a-Wrap. How big of a piece of wood have you lowered on it?

To tell the truth I have limited experience with them. I have used them working with subs but I still use wraps on a tree myself. It's really a trust thing with me. I just don't have a lot of faith in the portys. Not that I don't think it can handle big pieces, I just trust what I am experienced at more. Another thing is I am not on the ground to supervise things which I would ideally be when trying out a new piece of equipment. Personally, 2500-3000 pounds is about as heavy as I like to go when blocking chunks unless I can tip tie them where there is not a lot of shock.

Just curious about how big of pieces you guys are taking with the portys...

The weak link will always be the cordage in the system, I've snapped rope and had no damage to the porty. The azaleas were a bit worse for wear...

I have 3 different size portys.....4 including old school. I agree that it likely would not be the weak link in the system whichever choice for related application.

We started a job Friday and used Le Friction (our French slang for "the Porty") and it worked perfectly. Nothing too heavy, a few 200lb pieces of Spruce, but the tree was right inside their stone patio\walkway and we couldn't risk any damage.

Heaviest piece? Maybe 2000lb. Used it to lower the trunk of a broken and leaning poplar that was right over a fence. We tied off the tree and lowered it to within a foot of the fence and then sliced and diced with no damage done. Great stuff. :)

I got another question about the Port-a-Wrap. How big of a piece of wood have you lowered on it?

To tell the truth I have limited experience with them. I have used them working with subs but I still use wraps on a tree myself. It's really a trust thing with me. I just don't have a lot of faith in the portys. Not that I don't think it can handle big pieces, I just trust what I am experienced at more. Another thing is I am not on the ground to supervise things which I would ideally be when trying out a new piece of equipment. Personally, 2500-3000 pounds is about as heavy as I like to go when blocking chunks unless I can tip tie them where there is not a lot of shock.

Just curious about how big of pieces you guys are taking with the portys...

The large steel one is indestructible. I use a timber hitch, and have never had any problems. I go big too.

Surprised you haven't gotten on this yet md.. you've been wasting a lot of time taking wraps around the tree.

What knot do you use to attach your sling?

It depends on trunk size, I will use a loopie on smaller wood and an old rigging line with a stilson on bigger trees.

After having a rigging bag walk off a jobsite I quit buying eye slings and just tie an anchor on to the end, follow-through-bo'lin on real big stuff.

keep in mind md. that who ever you've had running your ropes these past years is going to HATE the porty for the first couple to a few efforts. hate it.

you also are too used to using tree as friction. you know the situation....half a tree wrap at the base cause you see all the other places on the tree the rope is touching up to the lowering point and knowing that is a bunch of friction even though you about to hang a biggish top.

as you will be going for the straightest line from pulley to porty all that friction is gone....blahblahblah.

what i am trying to say here is its going to take some time to get used to friction levels on the porty. you will take some rides rigging with it the first couple times.... lol. hang on. because you groundie wont know that 1 wrap is enough vs the 2 or 3 he will want to put on.

i love the porty, man. although i hate the hockling the rope will get. or at least the ropes i've used.

great tool for sure when you got a big tree to rig out.

The large steel one is indestructible. I use a timber hitch, and have never had any problems. I go big too.

Surprised you haven't gotten on this yet md.. you've been wasting a lot of time taking wraps around the tree.

:agree2:

You will save mountains of time, because the POW wraps into the rigging much faster than walking around a tree with a big bundle of loose rope. Really, that feature alone makes it worth the investment.

I agree, you will snap the rope before you will damage the Porty, or Le Friction!
To answer your Q, I have used it on massive chunks, MASSIVE, But I try and stay away from the dynamic load, let em run I say!, if you can, sometimes ya cant, then we go small. Dont like the big stops, ropes will snap, but you already know that!

My biggest was around 1500lbs I don't really like to go over that just for my piece of mind. Portys just save wear and tear, time, and money in the end worth getting. I have got the large steel one heavy but a beast for sure.:cheers:
As said before there is a learning curve for the groundy.

You gotta have the biggest one for bull ropes > 5/8". The tiny one is nice in the tree for my micro line but also will work on half inch. Then you can lower yourself if you got a bozo groundy.

Latest posts

Back