Another PP Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
While on the subject of PP in trees, I was thinking I have had two HT 75's and both of them eventually have stopped oiling the chain. I have had one repaired and the mechanic only said the oil canal was stoped up with sawdust. Now my second PP is doing the same thing.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem of if it is just me.

Thanks for the fast response RJS..... I will fix it when I have the time. Now I will not need to go to the added expense (and downtime) of getting it repaired.

My old echo doesn't even have an oiler. I just drip a little oil on and spin it by hand a bit to get it worked in. this is good for several cuts, then I do it again.
My PP isn't a tool that gets used a lot, so it's not a big deal. If your PP gets clogged again, just hand lube it until you get a chance to do the maintenance.

Another thing that helps is to run the chain a little on the loose side. Where the drive links are just barely up into the underside of the bar.

We've got the same problem. Annoying isn't it.

Originally posted by Ax-man
Another thing that helps is to run the chain a little on the loose side.

I've never seen a PP yet that didn't require the chain to run with much more slack then you would think it could. I run mine with the drive links hanging even lower.
Suprisenly, it hardly ever jumps off the bar.
Maybe thats why(knock on wood) I've never had an oiler problem. The chain runs right, has the same color, and the bar looks okay.
I HAVE had oiler problems with the plastic tank getting busted, but I would rather have a plastic tank over a metal one. That suckers heavy enough! :)

When I first got our PP from Thechnic it was recommended by their representative to set the chain a little on the loose side. The oiling system on these tools can't keep up with the chain when it's going full throttle. Sthil's oiling system is much better than Technic's, but still needs room for improvement. A relaxed tension setting on a PP gives better performance lubed or otherwise.

As far accelerated bar and sprocket wear, I haven't noticed any, a PP doesn't have the RPM's like chain saws do. So the problems associated with a poor or non funtioning oiler on a chain saw aren't as pronounced on a PP as compared to a chain saw.

Brian,
I have a custom made "belly bar" on my PPPP.
It is so I can do exactly as Ax-man suggests, run the chain a litle loose.
If PP were tools that required a lot of bar and chain maintenance, then running loose might matter. They do not run like a saw mill or firewood saw, so your comments are, well, stupid.
If you run your PP chain at the same tension as your woods saws, then you are a ???? ??????? ?????? ??????.
THe best thing to do in terms of maintaning your power pruner is to learn to climb. Use it spairingly, only when you need to, for removals or safety reasons.
If you do that you will only use it for one or two cuts a month.
As far as lubing my PP, well, you caught me JP. :eek:

His wife would probably shoot me with her hunting rifle.

FWIW, I've used a spray bottle to lube saws that don't oil well, such as an oversized bar whilst stump cutting and once for a PP that had the had a bad oiler.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn

FWIW, I've used a spray bottle to lube saws that don't oil well, such as an oversized bar whilst stump cutting and once for a PP that had the had a bad oiler.

Spray bottle? Sounds like a good idea, but it will suck up oil? :confused:

Fixed my PP today (sounds funny though).

Took off oil tank and sure enough the screen was, well, clogged would be an understatement. The small lower throat or neck in the tank was also crammed with crud...sawdust of course. Cleaned oil tank and it works fine.

When the PPs first came out the Stihl rep told me it was normal to run the chain loose on the bar. This makes it easier for the entire system to run. I do not know if this is entirely true, but it is what he said. Also he informed me never to run it tighter as the other saws.....have not had any problems...

I do think though my bar is close to being toast for the chain sometimes gets caught in the sprocket end sometimes and gets in a bind...

Use it spairingly, only when you need to, for removals or safety reasons.
If you do that you will only use it for one or two cuts a month.
[/B][/QUOTE]

If we used my PP for one or two cuts a month I would not have spent the money for it. It almost rates daily use with us.

RJS

Took a little longer than 2-3 minutes...old style tank. Really clogged. Washed out tank. Was a bit awkward putting tank back on and lining up the hose...but it was alright.. Probably 20 minutes or so..thanks for the help.

I'll agree that the PowerPruners don't like overly tight chains but I'm with Brian about running things sloppily loose. If my PP chain is sagging more than what I would consider a normal initial setting for a chainsaw with a hardnose bar it needs adjusting. (For those who have never had the displeasure of running hardnoses-initial setting allows the chain to sag enough to slip a dime between the tiestraps and the rails.) Once things are set properly chain stretch is pretty minimal. I've found that I get better oiling performance with vegetable oil instead of "bar oil".(Caution in hot weather you may find yourself craving french fries!;) )

Latest posts

Back