Another Reason I Love My Band Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's because owning a bandmill allows me to saw fast enough to make some money, and many times folks offer to trade me things to mill their logs!!! Some times they are low on $$, so they offer me "neat things", like this industrial precision 22" Solberga Mekaniska "gear head" drill press! (made in Sweden)

standard.jpg

This guy deals in industrial tools, and has some neat stuff!! Last time, he traded me a really nice european 12"x30" metal lathe!

Well today, i finally made the deal to bring the drill press home... I met my tool dealer friend at his warehouse this morning, and i agreed to do some logging and milling of "his" logs, in trade for it.

Here it is, loaded and ready to head to it's new home...

standard.jpg

Once i got it home, i rolled it into place useing some pipe under it, as it weighs 1,000 pounds... I already had a MT3 Jacobs 3/4" ball bearing "super chuck", so i put it on it, and i also did the best i could do for a vise, and put this Wilton on it that i had laying around...

standard.jpg

Like i already said, it's a "gear head", so NO belts to slip. And the motor has 1.5 hp so there should be plenty of torque available for even the biggest holes! I'm really going to like that slooow 120 rpm speed when i'm using bigger bits and hole saws!! You move two levers that are on the side to "shift the gears" to change the speeds...

standard.jpg

Now all that's left to do, is wire it in, and i'll get to that in a day or two... I think i'm going to be very happy with my "new to me" drill press!

Rob

Nice heavy duty piece of equipment there. Trade is great, I do a lot of trading too, of course it is hard to pass up the $ when it is there.

Nice score Rob - seeing it alongside the regular drillpress shows just how massive it is, especially the table. I have a 1.3 HP MT3 Drill press that I make a lot of use of but can appreciate the direct drive would be significantly superior.
:cheers:

Yep, you made out well.
I've used similiar machinery, gear-head drill presses, it's a joy to work with quality equipment.:clap: :clap:

Back