another seasoning question...locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Power company came in and cut down 8 locust trees along my drive in Feb 09. O cut and stacked it all then. Its been sitting in rounds uncovered since then. I am splitting it now. How will this be to burn this winter? I have enough wood left from lastyear to get me through until about Jan. Will it burn ok then? Thanks

I love splitting locust it is like butter. It dries pretty quick but Jan might be pushing it. How do the splits look? Was it honey or black? Great BTU wood!

But it was cut 18 months ago...splits seem ok but iv never cut locust before. It's wet under the bark from rain but the barks all flaming off.

Get it split. It's still too wet to consider, but after sitting as rounds and drying quite a bit it should be pretty close, and a couple months might be enough. Not much you can do about it, except get it split, and give a couple splits a try come Jan.

My bet is that it would be fine, or darn close enough to it to mix with other stuff if needed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's what I'm hoping...put a good dent in it the last 2 nights n will have it done by the end of the weekend. Procrastination sucks!

I just split 3/4 of a cord of locust that was log length since aug 09. still over 30%+ MC (off the range of my MC meter). It seems to weigh as much today as it did when we hauled it in last year. I don't think you'll be able to burn it this year without lots of popping and sizzling.

Doesn't sound so good now! Guess wel see come Jan or so. Its all i got once I run out of past years. Should see if i can find a meter n see.

I just split 3/4 of a cord of locust that was log length since aug 09. still over 30%+ MC (off the range of my MC meter). It seems to weigh as much today as it did when we hauled it in last year. I don't think you'll be able to burn it this year without lots of popping and sizzling.

Often times, downed logs will retain moisture while at the same time "Seasoning", and when bucked and split, will dry a bit faster than a log that was bucked and split right after getting dropped.

Check that Locust in a couple weeks and see what it's doing.
Sometimes Locust can be surprising.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think most people's wood isnt seasoned enough, but its so much nicer to burn propperly seasoned wood. Thought i would jsust update with a pic from last night...mostly locust with some walnut on top. The trees were all locust with 1 walnut and 1 poplar. Burned the pop in the firepit and camping this summer.

Squatting the Popo:
IMAG0061-1.jpg

There's a world of difference between log length and bucked to firewood length. Most of the moisture is lost through the ends. (Some research says as much as 50:1, end loss vs. side loss.)

18 months since felling & bucking? It's probably fine.

You'll get more btu's from locust that is almost seasoned vs say cherry/walnut/soft maple that is fully seasoned.
I think you will be surprised come January how seasoned the locust actually is. I would bet with locust you'll be fine.

I've been surprised at how quick the locust that I've cut in the past seasons. Once split and stacked it seems to season alot quicker than any other hardwood I've had. I don't have a moisture meter but it burned good after being cut from live tree and seasoning for approx. 7 months.

Back