''Another splitter Question'''

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If some one already mention this, sorry, I skipped most of the discussion. I posted a question a couple days ago about the Bliss Stump Ax Co. They built my old splitter. It cost me $3800 back in 82 and they recommended 40 HP to run it. I used a John Deere 2010 which I think was only 25 or 30 HP. It had a tray about 6 ft long with 1' plate about 3ft high at each end and a 3 ft blade sharpened on both sides. The tray was probably close to 4 ft wide. You would put the round on the tray and run the blade through it slicing off a 3 or 4 inch slab, scoot the round over a couple inches and cut another slab going the other direction. When you had the whole round slabbed you would roll it over and run the blade through the already cut slabs and several pieces would fall off. The machine was so powerfull you could snip small logs, up to about 10 inches, into firewood like tooth picks. It was big enough that I could stack about a 1/4 cord on the tray to bring it out of the woods with the tractor. I've seen several versions of this splitter in commercial yards but other than the Bliss, I don't know the names of any to Google. Good luck, Joe.

I can speak up and say I have seen one operate that was built exactly like the OP stated. A friend built one for use on his Bobcat and it works fine. The occasional stringy log will get stuck, but nothing a chain wrapped around the log and using the hydraulics to move the log or the stuck wedge. Understand in splitting propably 20 cords of wood with this it has only happened a couple times, on pieces most of us would of thrown in the junk pile to begin with.

Latest posts

Back