Another Stihl 028 muffler question!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have just aquired a Stihl 028 AV Super that has been passed down a few generations. Its a little rough around the edges but runs well. It seems like a good saw so I would like to keep it going. Will be replacing the bar and chain as they are very worn plus probably replace the worn sprockett with a rim sprockett.

The biggest issue is the muffler. I dont know what the front is supposed to look like but this one is rusted through with nice big hole in the front. I will post a pic when I get home tonight.

I swung by the local Stihl shop and they informed me that mufflers for the 028 are not made any more and that they sold the last one they had a year or 2 ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a second hand pne over the internet? Started trawling ebay and the like but it needs to be somone who will ship internationally.

I am contemplating bending a bit of steel sheet to see if I can fabricate a functional replacment. Hoping this will be a last resort as I am sure blood and tears will be involved knowing my fabrication skills.

Cheers

J

A bajillion of these were made so there shouldn't be much of a problem sourcing one. I only have one and it's attached to a working saw. Maybe find the part number and use that in your search.

chainsawr guy. they are a sponsor here. their flashing banner is up at the top of the page. if you don't see the muffler you need on their site give them a call. they have the rim sprocket clutch drum conversion too. :msp_thumbup

Just to add that there are two different mufflers used on 028`s. The earliest 028`s had a different bolt on design where they had two screws into the cylinder and one bottom bolt is positioned to install side on so there needs to be a boss on that muffler to accept the screw. The later mufflers had the two screws in the cylinder and two into the case through the cover and rear muffler housing.

This is the earlier muffler,

bar_3_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I had a look at the chainsawr site and there is a couple that may be what I need. Will have to see how much shipping to New Zealand is :)

Here are some pics of what I have:

View attachment 293027 View attachment 293028 View attachment 293029

From Pioneerguys photo it would appear that I have the later muffler?

Cheers

J

if you look at the chainsawr website you will see that both the early and later mufflers are sold out except a NOS later style one which is $70. i'm sure you'd rather not spend that so give them a call. I bet they have a used one you could buy. almost everytime i'm looking for a part their site says sold out they actually do have it. shipping from chainsawr is very reasonable. when I order a can't believe the price it is. makes me wonder why It costs so much for me to ship anything :confused:

Thanks for all the info and advice. I will drop chainsawr an email and see what they can do for me.

Cheers

J

Last edited:
028 muffler

I think I have a couple that style in much better shape. I won't be home from work until Thursday mid day. I'll look through the pile of bones. I've acquired a bunch of 028's from guys. If chainsawr cannot help, I'll send you one if I have it.

D

I think I have a couple that style in much better shape. I won't be home from work until Thursday mid day. I'll look through the pile of bones. I've acquired a bunch of 028's from guys. If chainsawr cannot help, I'll send you one if I have it.

D

Hi,

Thanks for the offer. Thats very good of you but hopefully I now have one winging its way round the world from chainsawr.

Westcoaster90 was right. I dropped them and email and they had a used one in stock.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers

J

Muffled

Good to hear. He is only about an hour drive from me. I usually just order ups and skip the big city traffic. He has ALOT of inventory and is a standup guy. Time for a muffler mod while it will be passing near the bench.

D

Props to chainsawr.com Package arrived a couple of weeks ago with a muffler and chain catcher and I finaly got time over the weekend to fit them.

Great to deal with and the only downside being, that due to living half way round the world, the delivery costs of anything from the US gets a bit expensive. :)

Just need to sort out the sprocket now and its good to go.

Cheers

J

Latest posts

Back