Another Stihl 034AV question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This was about a year ago, so memory is fuzzy.

So my old Stihl 034 bow that Ive been cutting with since I was 12.. Somebody used the saw and it was returned with the part under the throttle grip broken off! So the throttle grip was unsupported and had to be replaced. Replaced entire fuel tank assembly and had to take carb out to do this. Put new fuel line in. Don't remember if I messed with carb, but don't think I did as it ran fine. Bought new gasket for something on the intake side and it was not the right gasket. There was a hole on the saw that was not on the gasket.

After this, the saw is hard if not impossible to start without either using ether or gas on air filter. After it starts, it runs great. Idles well and cuts strong. Restarts OK, but sometimes have to choke it sits for even a minute or two.

Seems like it is losing fuel prime not sucking hard enough to pull fuel in until it is running. Once running all is good.
I know this is sketchy info at best.

Any ideas? I know I need to tear back into it and investigate fuel line and everything. Anybody have any idea what gasket I need? If no one knows right off hand, I'll tear into intake and carb and look, but I remember stihl dealer telling me that they didn't make that gasket anymore.

I changed the tank on my 034 also and it is almost impossible to start, just like you, really need to tear back onto it.

I changed the tank on my 034 also and it is almost impossible to start, just like you, really need to tear back onto it.
Was there a gasket in there somewhere that you had to take off where a hole didn't line up, like impulse air or something?

Back