Another tree id please

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I ID wood is by the cross section of the end grain cut with a razor blade/something sharp and viewed with 5X or better magnification. Bark can vary a lot, even on the same tree, leaves also. In the case of Hophornbeam, it's diffuse porous VS ring porous for Elm. That would be clear from one look with a loupe. Elm also has a wavy pattern to the pores that's very characteristic. If it's ring porous, it's not Hop or Birch. J

The way I ID wood is by the cross section of the end grain cut with a razor blade/something sharp and viewed with 5X or better magnification. Bark can vary a lot, even on the same tree, leaves also. In the case of Hophornbeam, it's diffuse porous VS ring porous for Elm. That would be clear from one look with a loupe. Elm also has a wavy pattern to the pores that's very characteristic. If it's ring porous, it's not Hop or Birch. J
I will try and do this today

image.jpg I cut a round and tried to split it with this. It's all I have at work. It bounced off like the wood was rubber. I will get it cracked open when I get home later

do you have a picture of what i'm looking for when I do this?

That link has a pic of 'Red Elm', where you can see the wavy pore structure. Oak or Ash are good examples of ring porous. If you look at Maple-Birch-Cherry, you'll see what diffuse porous looks like. Hophornbeam is in that group too. You only need a small X-section of heartwood to ID.
Elm can be a ***** to split by hand and so stringy, it's even a pain with a hydro splitter, DTDT. JinNJ

That seems to narrow it down to Elm or Hackberry. Guess it could be Hackberry, but I'm not familiar with that tree/wood.
yes I was just goin to say that I saw that hackberry has the same structure as elm. does anything else?

I think all the Elms have the wavy thing, Hackberry and that's it. BTW, this way of IDing wood is a helpful tool if you need to know what you have and aren't sure. A gray area is the hybids that show up, but you'll probably still get close enough..
JinNJ

I still vote Elm of some sote.
Look back to #45. See how thick the bark is.
HHB has thin bark. Elm has thick bark.

Woody: See if you can get the bark to peel of in long strips.
It might be difficult to start but it should peel.

David

I still vote Elm of some sote.
Look back to #45. See how thick the bark is.
HHB has thin bark. Elm has thick bark.

Woody: See if you can get the bark to peel of in long strips.
It might be difficult to start but it should peel.

David
Hop horn beam is out. We are down to elm and a remote chance of hackberry

Back