another tree ident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check it as quercus imbricaria, shingle oak. Some of the bark pictures here look right and the leaves are the right shape. If it gets tiny paired acorns it is shingle oak.
I disagree about Shingle Oak. Their leaves are more slender "cigar shaped" and multiple leaves come from one central point. If I had to guess( I can't see a close up of the leaf) I would guess Elm of some sort.

Looks like ash to me. this is a white ash split from a standing dead. seems that the center likes to darken up a lot when it dies.

here is a shot of the rounds so you can see the bark. the deep sharp furrows are a good giveaway.

And for comparision, this is red oak. unmistakable center, and the bark is more broken shingles then furrows.

Plus red oak leaves are very typical lobed oak.

Looks like ash to me. this is a white ash split from a standing dead. seems that the center likes to darken up a lot when it dies.

here is a shot of the rounds so you can see the bark. the deep sharp furrows are a good giveaway.

And for comparision, this is red oak. unmistakable center, and the bark is more broken shingles then furrows.

Plus red oak leaves are very typical lobed oak.

Thanks, I am sure that it is Ash. I sure am learning about ident of hardwood species, we never see those out here except as a yard tree. Working in that tree plantation (about 15 acres) I am seeing lots of different hardwoods as well as Western Larch (I knew that one already) and Red Fir.

I'm guessing Red Oak but I don't think those have such dense, shiny leaves.

tree_zpsrzv5ykn8.jpg

leaf_zpsqjblcnxe.jpg

bark_zps4tzzpkab.jpg

cugt_zpsx6gvxkje.jpg
Could be a Hickory too.
My Bitternut Hickories look similar.

Latest posts

Back