Any idea what this wood is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevatorGuy

Yota’s and John Deere green!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My Buddy got this from his neighbor, Him and I have no clue. Bleeding a sap after cut, wood is pretty pale. We don’t think it’s pine, the rounds are dense and heavy. The bark also doesn’t look like a pine we have seen. Tree company chipped all the brush.IMG_0383.jpegIMG_0384.jpeg

Are all those pieces from the same tree? The background pieces are definitely oak - look at the bark and medullary rays (piece near top right). The foreground piece also has typical bark for the lower trunk of a black oak. The wood is probably paler from being dead awhile.

Are all those pieces from the same tree? The background pieces are definitely oak - look at the bark and medullary rays (piece near top right). The foreground piece also has typical bark for the lower trunk of a black oak. The wood is probably paler from being dead awhile.
No, He only grabbed a few of these because he wasn’t sure what it was. It was a live tree, per the neighbor.

Sweet gum splits easily on a log splitter.

Black gum doesn't really split, the splitter cuts through the wood. If the splitter is strong enough that is.

Black gum end cuts are bright white in my experience. Your's look yellowish and that is why I guessed Persimmon.

Back