A bike helmet in the woods....oh no...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, I had two dead standing Ash tree's I fell today. I could NOT see the top of them as there were multiple adjacent trees with branches blocking the view to the top. I wanted to get the trees down as they are adjacent to the path my wife and kids walk by. We have about 30 acres of woods and enjoy many family walks. Being that I could not see the tops I decided on wearing a helmet in case branches started to fall. This is where it gets rough...I don't have an arborist helmet. But I do have my ironman pro bike helmet pictured below. So I wore. that.

The trees came down nice and smooth, right where I wanted with minimal collateral damage, kind of surprising, my woods is so dense they usually get hung up. The one tree did break in half as it started to fall and the top came back to me and landed about 5 feet from me. Pretty close. Exactly what I was prepared for actually. Well moderatly prepared for as I was wearing a bike helmet after all. Gssh.

Anyways. I would like to hear from some arborist or more seasoned fellers about how dumb I was. I need to protect my family and therefore myself. I should probably pony up the $100 and buy a helmet like the Kaska Zenith.
Thanks
-Andrew

1695087928487.png

Well, I had two dead standing Ash tree's I fell today. I could NOT see the top of them as there were multiple adjacent trees with branches blocking the view to the top. I wanted to get the trees down as they are adjacent to the path my wife and kids walk by. We have about 30 acres of woods and enjoy many family walks. Being that I could not see the tops I decided on wearing a helmet in case branches started to fall. This is where it gets rough...I don't have an arborist helmet. But I do have my ironman pro bike helmet pictured below. So I wore. that.

The trees came down nice and smooth, right where I wanted with minimal collateral damage, kind of surprising, my woods is so dense they usually get hung up. The one tree did break in half as it started to fall and the top came back to me and landed about 5 feet from me. Pretty close. Exactly what I was prepared for actually. Well moderatly prepared for as I was wearing a bike helmet after all. Gssh.

Anyways. I would like to hear from some arborist or more seasoned fellers about how dumb I was. I need to protect my family and therefore myself. I should probably pony up the $100 and buy a helmet like the Kaska Zenith.
Thanks
-Andrew

View attachment 1113548
A Kask Super Plasma will work just fine. Or get the Stihl Promark helmet. I have both. I have the Stihl version of the Kask.

I hate to say it, but I think you need to look at your felling plan more than your headgear... why were you dropping dead ash when you couldn't see a clear path for the tops to fall through?
Thanks for the reply and exactly the start to the wisdom I am looking for.

I was dropping the dead ash to make a path more safe that is utilized frequently by my family.
These two Ash were surrounded by American Beech trees. The Beech had branched out occluding my view to the top of the Ash, granted these were not huge branches that would largely impact the fall or path of the tree.

What would you have done...probably hard to craft a perfect response. Each tree is pretty unique then it's own unique surrounding so I understand the response may have to be pretty generic.

Sometimes you have to remove other trees before your main target tree can come out. Not sure if that was the case here.

Anyway, wearing a bike helmet is better than no helmet at all. But, yeah, get a arborist helmet. It will incorporate hearing and eye protection. The mesh eye guards do not fog up or scratch like polycarbonate lenses. Bonus: it is cheaper than brain surgery!

The one tree did break in half as it started to fall and the top came back to me and landed about 5 feet from me.
-Andrew
I agree with the guys who say...the solution to tops landing 5' from you is not a helmet. People die from getting hit by tops which break off and are slung willy-nilly by the other trees. No realistic escape route will solve that problem, either.

My take, one either cuts enough other trees to open up a clear path for the snag to fall into, or one cripples the tree and uses a long rope to break the strap...and, start the tree falling. Long like 200'.

I imagine there are other options.

In any case, Andrew, I don't think cutting ash snags, in a closed canopy, is a reasonable way to develop the experience you need for the safe cutting of ash snags in a closed canopy.

Roy

I should probably pony up the $100 and buy a helmet like the Kaska Zenith.
It does not have to be $100. But it should be purpose designed. Many ‘forestry helmets’ are basic hard hats, with attached ear protection and face shields.

But they have a protective shell and suspension, which is different than a lightweight bicycle helmet.

How about chainsaw chaps? Do you have / use those?

Philbert

Forestry helmets are made to protect from stuff falling on your head. Arborists helmets are made to protect from your head hitting a tree when you fall. Forestry helmets have a simple webbing system to absorb energy because all the energy is coming from one direction. Arborists (and bicycle) helmets use foam because the force can come from various directions.

The top of a tree is likely pretty heavy if it's any size at all and a helmet can only do so much. Ditto the chaps and also foot protection (steel toes or cut resistant chainsaw boots).

ANSI rates work helmets as Type I (top impact protection) and Type II (top and side impact protection).

The terms ‘hard hat’, ‘forestry helmet’, ‘arborist’s’ helmet, etc., are more about style and form.

Any of these could be rated Type I or Type II.

A whole bunch of other categories for electrical, cold / hot weather, etc.

Bicycle, motorcycle, and other types of protective head gear are rated by other agencies / organizations (CPSC, Snell, DOT, FIM, etc.).

https://blog.msasafety.com/what-is-the-difference-between-type-1-and-type-2-hard-hats/

Sometimes you have to remove other trees before your main target tree can come out. Not sure if that was the case here.

Anyway, wearing a bike helmet is better than no helmet at all. But, yeah, get a arborist helmet. It will incorporate hearing and eye protection. The mesh eye guards do not fog up or scratch like polycarbonate lenses. Bonus: it is cheaper than brain surgery!
Appreciate your feedback. I made a calculation based on historic felling of dead Ash and decided not to take down any neighboring trees. It fell as anticipated without having to remove any healthy living trees. Had I felt my safety was compromised beyond what I was comfortable I likely would have left it.

Thanks for the helmet recommendation.

I agree with the guys who say...the solution to tops landing 5' from you is not a helmet. People die from getting hit by tops which break off and are slung willy-nilly by the other trees. No realistic escape route will solve that problem, either.

My take, one either cuts enough other trees to open up a clear path for the snag to fall into, or one cripples the tree and uses a long rope to break the strap...and, start the tree falling. Long like 200'.

I imagine there are other options.

In any case, Andrew, I don't think cutting ash snags, in a closed canopy, is a reasonable way to develop the experience you need for the safe cutting of ash snags in a closed canopy.

Roy
Excellent recommendation regarding using a rope and crippling the tree. I do have an atv I could use in combination with a rope, from a distance.
Thanks Roy

It does not have to be $100. But it should be purpose designed. Many ‘forestry helmets’ are basic hard hats, with attached ear protection and face shields.

But they have a protective shell and suspension, which is different than a lightweight bicycle helmet.

How about chainsaw chaps? Do you have / use those?

Philbert
Hey Philbert, I do have a pair of Labonville Chaps. I do wear them. I have located a Kask Zenith Air brand new for $90. It lacks a shield and ear protection, I would use in conjunction with my current ear protection (plugs).

Forestry helmets are made to protect from stuff falling on your head. Arborists helmets are made to protect from your head hitting a tree when you fall. Forestry helmets have a simple webbing system to absorb energy because all the energy is coming from one direction. Arborists (and bicycle) helmets use foam because the force can come from various directions.

The top of a tree is likely pretty heavy if it's any size at all and a helmet can only do so much. Ditto the chaps and also foot protection (steel toes or cut resistant chainsaw boots).
Thanks for the explanation between the two types of helmets, I was ignorant to that. I have done some mountaineering/rock climbing and the Petzel helmets I have used seem similar with the webbing system.

Appreciate your feedback. I made a calculation based on historic felling of dead Ash and decided not to take down any neighboring trees. It fell as anticipated without having to remove any healthy living trees. Had I felt my safety was compromised beyond what I was comfortable I likely would have left it.

Thanks for the helmet recommendation.
Wait, what? The top landed 5 feet from you and that was anticipated?

Wait, what? The top landed 5 feet from you and that was anticipated?
Well yeah, every standing dead Ash I have cut when it gets about 80 degrees, my woods is so thick it hits something and the top breaks off and falls back towards me. It is anticipated at this point. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it lands further. This was the closer. But I try to watch carefully.

Gosh I hope I don't sound careless.

5 feet closer and it would have planted him. No helmet/safety gear will protect you from that.
The top part that breaks and comes back towards me is no thicker than my forearm, and I'm not a large man, haha. The base of these trees may only be about 14-20 inches in diameter. The size may come into part of the discussion as we could be visualizing completely different things.

Thanks
-Andrew

View attachment 1113548
A helmet prob won't help when a big, heavy chunk of tree lands on you!

Latest posts

Back