A bike helmet in the woods....oh no...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the guys who say...the solution to tops landing 5' from you is not a helmet. People die from getting hit by tops which break off and are slung willy-nilly by the other trees. No realistic escape route will solve that problem, either.

My take, one either cuts enough other trees to open up a clear path for the snag to fall into, or one cripples the tree and uses a long rope to break the strap...and, start the tree falling. Long like 200'.

I imagine there are other options.

In any case, Andrew, I don't think cutting ash snags, in a closed canopy, is a reasonable way to develop the experience you need for the safe cutting of ash snags in a closed canopy.

Roy
If you have a tractor you can get a winch like a Tajfun or Wallenstein

I wore my bike helmet all last month working on a roof twenty feet in the air. But in your situation I might wear my WWII Civil defense fireman helmet.

Attachments

• IMG20230909172940.jpg
    IMG20230909172940.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I consider a ski helmet to offer the most protection from say a smallish rotten limb falling from the top of a tree in a wind or the initial movement of felling. I wear mine for cycling as well

1695276959516.png

Latest posts

Back