another tree ident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm guessing Red Oak but I don't think those have such dense, shiny leaves.

tree_zpsrzv5ykn8.jpg

leaf_zpsqjblcnxe.jpg

bark_zps4tzzpkab.jpg

cugt_zpsx6gvxkje.jpg

Check it as quercus imbricaria, shingle oak. Some of the bark pictures here look right and the leaves are the right shape. If it gets tiny paired acorns it is shingle oak.

Here is a close up of the leaves - Opposite pinnately compound, and toothed -not like any oak I've seen, simple or lobed leaves . Looks like I can see some seedlings behind the leaves. If so, can we get a close up of them?

View attachment 507517

No seedlings there. That shot was of a branch dangling down about 5' off the ground. Anything behind teh leaves would be tree trunk.

I believe you are right. Those leaves just don't look like oak. I had a green ash but it got ruined in t-storm wind blast - all that is left is a flush cut stump.
Was the wood that dark? That's what has me puzzled. I've seen ash get that dark after laying on the ground for a couple years but the bark was completely gone.

Was the wood that dark? That's what has me puzzled. I've seen ash get that dark after laying on the ground for a couple years but the bark was completely gone.

The center is even darker than it shows in the pic. The stuff I am cutting is from logs pulled out of dozer piles, dead but still solid. Most show signs of having broken off at the bse from rot but the rot only runs a few feet up the log.

been reading a bit.... perhaps these ash have or had ash yellows disease ? the tree slowly dies back and suffers a slow death .. lot of limbs on the ground in picture 1.... just an idea

been reading a bit.... perhaps these ash have or had ash yellows disease ? the tree slowly dies back and suffers a slow death .. lot of limbs on the ground in picture 1.... just an idea

Lots of deadfall including entire trees in that old plantation. The pics were taken near the edge of a huge jumbled pile of dozed up logs and limbs, dirt. The stuff in the pic was not from the tree it is laying by. Landowner thinks he is "cleaning up" by using a brush blade on his dozer and pushing it into big piles. That only builds big, ugly piles that his descendants will be looking at for a 100 years or longer.

I am breaking the piles appart by using the dozer to pull out logs, cutting anything good into 16" rounds and leaving them for whomever. This is just something to keep me occupied and get exercise. Yep, I'm crazy.

Lots of deadfall including entire trees in that old plantation. The pics were taken near the edge of a huge jumbled pile of dozed up logs and limbs, dirt. The stuff in the pic was not from the tree it is laying by. Landowner thinks he is "cleaning up" by using a brush blade on his dozer and pushing it into big piles. That only builds big, ugly piles that his descendants will be looking at for a 100 years or longer.

I am breaking the piles apart by using the dozer to pull out logs, cutting anything good into 16" rounds and leaving them for whomever. This is just something to keep me occupied and get exercise. Yep, I'm crazy.
Nothing wrong with that turnkey...years ago when I built our house first thing I did was cut many of the trees down to make lawn , a garden spot, ect... And then started transplanting trees back in "mostly white pine"... We have 3 1/2 acres which is two house lots ; we had a trailer on the adjacent lot that was mostly field .. Long story short I planted white pine in rows "probably something over a hundred of them on it" and I mowed around them for years till they grew me out .. haha .. Anyhow between the two lots I planted close to two hundred trees, alone the property lines and what not... It kept me busy and out of trouble back then as it does now trimming and cleaning up after them...I'm retired now, and I can't stand just siting around, I like to stay busy...As crazy as it or I may be I'm glad I have those trees to look after..... keep up the good work T

Latest posts

Back