Another weaver couger saddle recall!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Sully

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Weaver Leather has another recall on their couger saddle.

Featured Arborist Products from Weaver Leather

Its for the unmarked o-rings. Anyone that has one should check this out. It says their was an accident with one. This makes number 2 that im aware of, should have never bought this junk thing. Yup, think im goin for something else. I dont think its very comfortable myself. Any opinions?

Be Safe,
Sully

Weaver Leather has another recall on their couger saddle.

Featured Arborist Products from Weaver Leather

Its for the unmarked o-rings. Anyone that has one should check this out. It says their was an accident with one. This makes number 2 that im aware of, should have never bought this junk thing. Yup, think im goin for something else. I dont think its very comfortable myself. Any opinions?

Be Safe,
Sully

Duly noted 2 weeks ago http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/162296.htm and supplier should have contacted you already. There was no accident and no injuries in either case. The fault was noted during an inspection of equipment, something we all should do daily.

Right on, i just misunderstood the page. Thats good no accident. I did a search before i posted. should have done a more general search. glad ur lookin out too and went and posted it.

I've been climbing on a couger saddle for over a year now and really like it, but I'm starting to get a little apprehensive. I called Bishop and they said my saddle wasn't involved in any recalls, but if your not secure and confident with your equipment it prays on your piece of mind while climbing.

This is the last time I endorse another product ever again. Mine has been sitting in a trash can in the shed since the begining of winter so I still have to check the rings out but I had mine 6 months before the rope bridge was of concern. So far, other than those two " little" problems the thing is pretty good.
Of course I did wonder why it was so cheap!

I am getting a little pissed off about my Weaver Saddle, not to mention I have lost all confidence in it and Weavers produces. The Company rep at Bishop told me I was mistaking and there was no recall on the rings, and they would be the first to know, not some internet forum.
I have e-mailed them the link from weaver on the recall.
I won't ware this belt no more and have went back to my old sliding D ring belt. I am going to take Monday off and personally return it and tell them they can keep the piece of Junk.
There are many potential dangers in our profession, having to worry about a piece of equipment failing is not acceptable to me.

Too bad that Weaver is having all of these problem when they didn't manufacture the rings in the first place. It's also too bad for me because I like the saddle for the price that I paid. Next time it's Petzl for me.

Too bad that Weaver is having all of these problem when they didn't manufacture the rings in the first place. It's also too bad for me because I like the saddle for the price that I paid. Next time it's Petzl for me.

I feel the same. Yes, yes, and yes.

I have been using the weaver cougar with the batten seat since it came out. I bought it from wesspur. I thought the rope bridge was alittle sketchy when I first got it so I made my own out of a piece of climbing line. Then sure enough they have a recall on it. I Used to Climb on a weaver wide back with floating D's which I still have and think I am gonna bring it back into action. The cougar seems a bit heavier than the wide back and I am always re-tightening the leg straps on the cougar. The only thing I do like about it is the thick foam back padding. Think I am gonna hang it up and bust out the floating D's. Just for piece of mind in the tree. Just my 2 cents on the cougar!

yeah i got an old p.o.s. with strings hangin from it that i am starting to trust more. wonder if weaver would just give me a refund, heck they prolly dont even want em!!!!:laugh:

yeah i got an old p.o.s. with strings hangin from it that i am starting to trust more. wonder if weaver would just give me a refund, heck they prolly dont even want em!!!!:laugh:

Haha no doubt Sully! My older saddle is still in great shape. When the cougar came out it looked to be really comfy and had a decent price tag on it. So I said what the heck, I'll give it a shot. To me it just seems like it is cheaply made and doesnt impress me that much. Let me know if you have any luck with the refund! Maby we should both start giving em the gears about their P.O.S!

power by numbers sounds good to me. pretty well same situation on my end, although i dont feel its cheaply made just not thought out well, i think the batton seat model would be incredible. the price was the definate winner for me also. I really would like to get a higher priced model but nobody wants to spend money so no work on my end.

My spare/training saddle is a Cougar I bought new last summer. It has the black/yellow bridge and the rings have proper markings so it is supposed to be OK for climbing on. Problem is, I'm just not sure I trust it any more. I wouldn't want a climber in training with me to be the one that finds the next defect the hard way.
The part that concerns me the most, is the idea that any climbing gear company would use any unmarked ring for a life critical function since the fiasco over those Kong rings a few years back. I don't remember who it was, but on one forum I read about a climber finding an unmarked ring while sorting through some gear. He said it didn't have the flashing edges so notable of the Kong rings, but he promply got out the bolt cutters and made it useless. He just wasn't willing to chance someone trying to use it.
We always hear the advice "don't trust used climbing gear if you don't know the history of it" but don't seem as concerned with new gear that doesn't have proper markings on each critical part.
Rick

Latest posts

Back