Another "which saw to part with" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am giving away a couple of saws. (I must have whatever version of CAD where you get rid of your less used saws so you can allocate more of your money toward your newer and/or larger cube saws lol.)

One saw is going to my uncle who recently gave me two smaller saws and one will be donated to the children's camp where I do charity cutting so I do not need to haul my saws there (or cut larger wood with the small MS211 they have on hand).

Thinking I will give my uncle the 55 Husky that I am working on currently once I run it a bit to make sure I didn't mess anything up. He is up in the mountains of western NC and has many 20-30 inch trees around his yard. Not that a 55 is the perfect saw for 20" plus wood but with a fresh top end plus muffler mod and 18" and 20" bars will be sufficient anyhow.

The other saw that I am able to part with is my near cherry Husky 350 that is virtually new (every moving part except for the main rod bearing was replaced last winter when it was built). Certainly more powerful than the 211 but in the big picture, not all that much more powerful. The camp property is in upstate NY and has some pretty big trees as well.

So the dilemma is if I give the 350 to camp? Or do I sell the 350 and use a portion of that cash to buy a larger project (say something in the 61/266/268/272 family). I really do not know.

I have no real advice for you. All I can say is I have a real soft spot for the 268-272 and 350. But hand's down the 268-272 wins for me. Only exceptions when I would rather have the 350 is if I wasn't the only operator or lots of limbing.

Steven

Do you expect to be the only user of the 350 at the camp, or does it then become subject to possibly clumsy users or worse, abusers? I am always hesitant to "donate" a fine tool to unknown users. I gave a well used, but perfectly functional JD Garden tractor to the local little league to mow fields, pull a cart of diamond tex from stock pile to field, and pull a drag on infields. Though the tractor was near un-breakable in 20+ years of service up to that point, it nearly disintegrated in one season of "service" under the hands of volunteers. I know I gave it to them, and shouldn't have had another thought about it, but I couldn't help but feel bad about how it was treated. Ultimately new board members imposed on a local JD dealer for a new tractor. Unfortunately, the new tractor lasted only about a season and a half. Good news, my son moved on up to 13 year old full sized fields, and I have no visibility to the treatment nor condition of whatever they use there any longer. Out of sight, out of mind.

We did a lot of contracting work at a local kids camp and I agree with Jere39. They bought a brand new 40 hp Massey with a bucket, back blade, and a front mount snowblower. I still remember watching one of the "maintenance" guys going down a camp road with the back blade down at near 30 mph. Needless to say the blade looks live a letter v now and the blower is sitting in there equipment graveyard. Not sure what they did to it but it only lasted about 1 season and I'm sure cost 7 or 8 grand. These guys they hire were complete boneheads. I'm sure it's similar at a lot of camps where you make minimum wage, get free room and board, or all volunteer.

They already had a minor accident when letting staff use a saw a few years ago so only the camp director would be using the saw in my absence. The tools are all kept in a locked building that is only unlocked for immediate access to tools by the director and the handyman. He (director) has been known to rock chains pretty well or not fill the bar oil and wreck a bar or two on the camp saw. But from what I can tell is diligent about making and using mixed gas as they have not blown up any of their other o p e for as long as our kids have been going there.

As I keep thinking about it, a bigger saw is probably the best bet for them provided I can get a good value out of this one.

And to echo what you guys said about "volunteers", I have seen my share of donated goods up there get trashed in a single season...nice stuff just left outside in the elements until it is trash. And to make you peanut butter fans cringe, I saw them throw away about 10 cases of peanut butter a couple of years ago when the camp went nut-free to avoid any allergic reactions.

I could tell camp stories all day from this place. Lots of weird things go on at camps. One time we were building a pump house and the 2nd in command maintenance guy came over in a full snowsuit. We could smell him from 10 feet away. So we casually brought up the suit and he proceeded to tell us how it never gets washed because it won't fit in there washing machine. Since at least when he's been there he said, so 10 years or so. Me and my brother looked at each other like wtf is wrong with this guy? He was at least 325-350lbs so it was probably a 3 or 4xl. I understand washing coats, and snow suits isn't a typical thing you do very often, but 10 plus years??? Him and the number 1 maintenance guy were both large and shared the suit. They also both stayed through the years, but the other workers changed typically every year. The one characteristic that remained constant was lack of common sense.

I agree with your line of thinking that the 2xx Husky may be the way to go. A 50cc isn't generally the best one saw plan, IMO, for overall property maintenance.

I could tell camp stories all day from this place. Lots of weird things go on at camps. One time we were building a pump house and the 2nd in command maintenance guy came over in a full snowsuit. We could smell him from 10 feet away. So we casually brought up the suit and he proceeded to tell us how it never gets washed because it won't fit in there washing machine. Since at least when he's been there he said, so 10 years or so. Me and my brother looked at each other like wtf is wrong with this guy? He was at least 325-350lbs so it was probably a 3 or 4xl. I understand washing coats, and snow suits isn't a typical thing you do very often, but 10 plus years??? Him and the number 1 maintenance guy were both large and shared the suit. They also both stayed through the years, but the other workers changed typically every year. The one characteristic that remained constant was lack of common sense.
The jumbo washers at the laundromat can fit two to three "big man" sleeping bags! How could you not find a way to wash it. Hell, heat up a big wash basin on the stove and wash by hand if needed.

I cannot imagine dawning something that stinky and especially to share it with another sweaty, stinky man.

Although I have toyed with the notion of giving my uncle the 350 and giving the camp the 55. My uncle will take great care of the saw. The 55 is solid but not a showpiece so might be better at the camp, but since they already have a smaller saw it would be ideal to have a larger one.

You need to give the saw and lose their contact info. Otherwise you'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night in a nervous sweat. Having nightmares about rocks, straight gas, and smoking bars.

Kind of like when you say to the wife "Honey, treat yourself to a shopping spree" then pour over the receipts, about how much she spent. You knew she would, and you know they are going to ruin the saw. You need to go into it with that mindset, and be willing to do so anyways.

You need to give the saw and lose their contact info. Otherwise you'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night in a nervous sweat. Having nightmares about rocks, straight gas, and smoking bars.

Kind of like when you say to the wife "Honey, treat yourself to a shopping spree" then pour over the receipts, about how much she spent. You knew she would, and you know they are going to ruin the saw. You need to go into it with that mindset, and be willing to do so anyways.
Very good point. I have thought about that, and if they do smoke a top end I have a spare for the 55 and also have a spare 345 cylinder for the 350. I would provide limited warranties for these where I would not for most people.

We did a lot of contracting work at a local kids camp and I agree with Jere39. They bought a brand new 40 hp Massey with a bucket, back blade, and a front mount snowblower. I still remember watching one of the "maintenance" guys going down a camp road with the back blade down at near 30 mph. Needless to say the blade looks live a letter v now and the blower is sitting in there equipment graveyard. Not sure what they did to it but it only lasted about 1 season and I'm sure cost 7 or 8 grand. These guys they hire were complete boneheads. I'm sure it's similar at a lot of camps where you make minimum wage, get free room and board, or all volunteer.

Unfortunately, it isn't just volunteers :(, The first company I drove for, it simply wasn't practical to assign Tractors(Highway), we had 28 Tractors and about 40 Drivers, just not realistic to lease 12 tractors more than you need, and have them sitting idle 2-3 days a week, Sunday was enough idle time.

I had the longest route, with much travel far from service, so I was able to 394 assigned to my California run most weeks on Tue, Wed, Thur, but then 3 other guys would drive "My" tractor the rest of the week, I really TRIED to keep up with the truck's maintainance and condition, it was a losing battle. After that business ended, I didn't drive poor ol' 394 for a bit over six months, it was SAD, how the condition of what had been our Nicest tractor had deteriorated:eek:

If it is NOT their "OWN" or at least assigned, and looked at as their own, MANY Employees (yes mainly GUYS, but we have to be PC;)) simply don't CARE about company equipment, even if they KNOW Better.

The next company that I drove for, I put over 541,000 miles on it before we turned it back in to the leasing company, it was in so much better shape at 541,000 miles than any of the first company"s tractors at 100-150,000 miles.

Part of the problem was in addition to not caring was the Deniability factor, I used to leave a Grocery sack in the cab MARKED "Garbage Bag, PLEASE FEED ME", there would still be burger wrappers, fry boxes and drink cups(that was a Foodservice company)all over the floor. I would grab the inspection book, and start going back and collaring guys about leaving "My" tractor a mess, it was always "It was Like That when I got in it". The Monday and Saturday drivers might be able to Bull $hit their way out with that excuse, but not the Friday driver, I KNEW what the tractor looked like when I got out of it.

It was the same thing with Damage to the vehicles, nobody ever knew how damage ever happened,it was always "Like that when I got that morning":confused:, it got to the point that, a supervisor would go out and inspect each truck and trailer as they returned every day with a damage sheet to record any damage to the vehicles, but the supervisors, justifiably got tired of THAT, and that eventually ended, and it just became an unhappily accepted cost of doing business. Now, I am assigned a tractor, and if damage does happen, I had better DAMN WELL know HOW it happened. We have a MUCH smaller crew where I am now, only 3 drivers, and even if I get sent to help at another account, or go on Vacation, my tractor will often sit unused the whole time, or if another drivers tractor needs to go in for service, there is enough mutual respect between us, that on the Rare occasion that we do drive each others tractors, we treat them with respect.

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back