Another Wood I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efederlein

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
20170408_094427_zpszxywxcf5.jpg
20170408_094437_zpsgyybfxt0.jpg

I think it is locust of some kind.
What do you guys think ?

Im pretty sure they may be seperate.....they are clearing a public trail by me and leaving behind what cant be shreaded by machine they are using. I am in kinda Upstate New York if that helps.

20170408_120344_zpsc91g8sqi.jpg

Here it is split.....no licorice smell.....i guess i would say a woody earthy smell....lol.
Seems to split slightly stringy but easy not like fresh hickory. Straight grain.

I think it is poplar (yellow poplar/tulip poplar). The heart looks green on fresh cut end grain but turns a brownish color after sitting. how heavy is the wood? never messed with sourwood, but poplar is everywhere here in Appalachia. It is one of the least dense hardwoods (less than some softwoods) but grows fast and in the same areas as better firewood species like oak, locust, and hickory. Firewood sellers around here sell it as mixed hardwood but they are taking advantage of people imo. It can be good early in the burn to build a fire or maybe in bulk for an outdoor boiler but no coaling so it isnt good otherwise. Ive noodled a poplar that was 40"+ 35' off the ground. Has white sapwood and olive green and occasionally some violet in the heart. IMG_6017.JPGIMG_6020.JPG. Maybe that's what you have there. Free is free though. That's all I got.

I think it is poplar (yellow poplar/tulip poplar). The heart looks green on fresh cut end grain but turns a brownish color after sitting. how heavy is the wood? never messed with sourwood, but poplar is everywhere here in Appalachia. It is one of the least dense hardwoods (less than some softwoods) but grows fast and in the same areas as better firewood species like oak, locust, and hickory. Firewood sellers around here sell it as mixed hardwood but they are taking advantage of people imo. It can be good early in the burn to build a fire or maybe in bulk for an outdoor boiler but no coaling so it isnt good otherwise. Ive noodled a poplar that was 40"+ 35' off the ground. Has white sapwood and olive green and occasionally some violet in the heart. View attachment 571542View attachment 571543. Maybe that's what you have there. Free is free though. That's all I got.
It is fresh cut so its rather heavy....meaning i did not notice it being lighter than any other firewood ive cut.

Those splits look like aspen or cottonwood. Their bark varies by region. The stuff I've cut in upstate NY looks somewhat different than what I have cut at home.

Latest posts

Back