Another Wood Stove For Ranch House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Another Wood Stove For Ranch House - Pics

Thinking of getting another wood stove and installing it in the 2nd bedroom on other end of house.

While I did save $2000 not using oil...we did turn heat on at nights a little... So if I can save $3000 instead of 2000 I'm ahead of game.

Currently I have a tiny one which only fits 1 16" piece diagnolly or 2 14 inch horizontally.

I have to reload on average every hour!
Just a simple yes or no....If I got a 18" stove, will I get a 2 hour burn with it?

Last edited:
1 piece? an hour burn? You are doing something WRONG....must be the smallest stove ever.....:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

If'n ya want a long burn time get a Big old Fisher stove. They might not be the most efficient but they sure will burn for a long time when fully loaded.

1 piece? an hour burn? You are doing something WRONG....must be the smallest stove ever.....:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

LOL!! Sorry...meant without overloading and overheating...seems like I got 1 hour of heat..

100_0882.jpg

100_0884.jpg

Seems to me, maybe you need to cut the wood shorter...I have never been happy with what manufacturers claim to be a 16" log accepting stove....

That looks like a quadrafire, and you're loading it wrong...

Pieces should be loaded with the ends towards the glass, at least if that is a quadrafire. Depending on the type of wood you burn, you should be getting a 6-8 hour burn easily. Even burning cedar, I only load every 2-3 hours. Burning oak, that is extended to 5 hours easily.

You should be able to load 3-4 pieces. If not, then they aren't split small enough.

Pieces should be loaded with the ends towards the glass, at least if that is a quadrafire. Depending on the type of wood you burn, you should be getting a 6-8 hour burn easily. Even burning cedar, I only load every 2-3 hours. Burning oak, that is extended to 5 hours easily.

You should be able to load 3-4 pieces. If not, then they aren't split small enough.

THANK YOU!....:clap::clap:

:agree2:I have same stove as pictured and can easily get a 5-6 hr burn time.

I'm not talking about the stove 100 degrees..I'm talking about a piece of wood burning and keeping stove above 300. When temps are over 30 I get a 2hr burn.

I can't put pieces toward window then I'd only be able to fit 12" pieces. Lol

I can't put more then 2 otherwise the stove goes over 600 degrees!

Seems like I need to try different things before getting another one.

Thanks guys

sounds to me like the air control is not working or your door gasket is bad on the stove.if you have an air leak you basically have no temp control on the stove causing very short burn times

sounds to me like the air control is not working or your door gasket is bad on the stove.if you have an air leak you basically have no temp control on the stove causing very short burn times

I agree. 600 degree temp is close to over firing. If you leave that air control all the way open, you're going to over fire the stove, potentially causing a house fire.

Also, front to back, 12", yep, they made some stoves to take 12-14" pieces. Seriously, the airflow is designed with the stove being loaded with the ends pointed towards the glass.

I'm not trying to beat you up on this, just saying that's how this stove was designed to be used.

Right now is an excellent time to upgrade that stove, though. You get a 30% government rebate, and most of the wood stoves are now on sale since we are getting out of the heating season. Here in Oregon, we also get a 25% tax rebate, and then there is a local energy credit. I sold my old stove (still EPA certified) and bought a brand new one, and made $50 in the process when it was all said and done!

Great points guys! I did replace the door seal not the window seal and I felt as if it wasn't a good job. Interesting.

I'll have to do some maintenance on it before winter. Did not know government was rebating purchases of wood stoves. I thought maybe it was bad for enviroment so government would actually end up taxing us for using it.

We should start a thread on that!

Caveat on that rebate - it must be an "energy efficient" new stove, purchased in 2009 or 2010, and installed in 2009 or 2010. Oh, and you have to be a taxpayer to qualify for the rebate, because it comes as a tax credit.

Latest posts

Back