Another YouTube "How to" video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
I really like Cody, and believe he's well intentioned -- but he shouldn't be making instructional videos for timber felling.

Not only does he not fully understand what he's doing, but he actually does things that are incorrect, as well as giving broad generalities and leaves out important information.

I don't make "How to do leg surgery" videos, just because I have a slight grasp of what's going on. :msp_rolleyes:

Someone might actually watch my leg surgery video, and try to do it themselves. Perhaps because I led them to believe I was a competent professional in many areas, so why not that too?

He begins the description with "Are you doing it right?" :laugh:

No disclaimer whatsoever, no warnings. . .

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M_3CZ6fCelc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What is it with guys notching a tree 2' up the bole? I can understand it if the bottom is really ugly or there's wire, but the strongest fiber in the tree is right at the very base....cutting up high puts you into wood that can more easily break free unexpectedly....

And if that fir is 600 years old I am 900 years old.

No mention of side lean or gunning corrections, unintentional kerf Dutchman, leading people to believe a tree will go "Where the line on the saw" is pointing.

The problem here is, Cody doesn't know why he's doing what he's doing!

He's miming things he's been shown, seen on videos, learned on a fire, or gleaned from another source.

He doesn't comprehend stump shot (his is all over the place), he didn't recognize the danger of a Dutched kerf, obviously left too wide a hinge and wedged a tree that didn't need wedging -- and isn't versed in the mechanics of the steps he's "teaching".

Like I said earlier. . . He doesn't know enough about timber-falling to be making online "how to" videos.

Last edited:
What is it with guys notching a tree 2' up the bole? I can understand it if the bottom is really ugly or there's wire, but the strongest fiber in the tree is right at the very base....cutting up high puts you into wood that can more easily break free unexpectedly....

And if that fir is 600 years old I am 900 years old.
attachment.php
attachment.php
this is a 600 year old fir. if that one was that old it was growing in a cave.

As I feared, it has already begun.

Someone from OZ commented: "I had to drop a few medium sized trees leaning over fencing and they all came down exactly where the face cut pointed."

Hope nobody gets hurt when a tree they decide to cut down doesn't "go where the face pointed." :msp_unsure:

As I feared, it has already begun.

Someone from OZ commented: "I had to drop a few medium sized trees leaning over fencing and they all came down exactly where the face cut pointed."

Hope nobody gets hurt when a tree they decide to cut down doesn't "go where the face pointed." :msp_unsure:

Hmmmm. The tractor beam must have been defective. :msp_rolleyes:

Don't be so harsh there guys.... This video could be a good lesson for some folk. I turned up to climb a tree for another tree company one day, only to have the guy ask me "do you cut that triangle thing on the front, or the back?". No kidding.

Shaun

Don't be so harsh there guys.... This video could be a good lesson for some folk. I turned up to climb a tree for another tree company one day, only to have the guy ask me "do you cut that triangle thing on the front, or the back?". No kidding.

Shaun

Not being too hard on him, but it's been said, and reiterated by northmanlogging above -- he shouldn't be teaching.

I'm not too hip on "How to" videos for tree felling on YouTube as it is, even if they're really good fallers, and present a well thought out and explained technique. Some schmuck will inevitable try to copy something waaaaay out of their skill-set, and bad things will happen.

This is with good technique and skill in their videos, let alone a video by a guy that is just "going through the paces".

Cody speaks with authority, so people will believe he's an authority.

Not a good idea IMO.

Back