antique chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
homelite paint

Hi Cindy
Try to find some paint on your saw that has been protected from exposure to sun and other elements. This will be the best way to get the correct color. Then you can take it to a local paint store. Most of them can computer match your color from a sample of your old paint. If you are going to run the saw after you paint it, you should use laquer paint since it will not lift and peel as easily as enamel paint when exposed to gasoline. Good luck!
Scott

BillW

BillW

ArboristSite Operative
Model 17

Made from Feb 1954 thru July 1956 replaced by the 17L (which had a flexible fuel line)4.32 cu in / 3.5 brake HP
Old HOMELITE p/n 22771 Red & 23343 Green which were laquer paints

BillW

BillW

ArboristSite Operative
Vintage HOMELITE

Thanks Darin for your comment...I'll try.
BTW I have quite a few 'VINTAGE' parts that someone may need to keep them antiques (the saws, not their owners, running)

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Homelite 17

Bill, I have a homelite 17A my dad bought to replace his pair of McCulloch 3-25's (had to go to the woods with two saws, because they wouldn't start hot...run out of gas and oil, refuel, and cool down while using the other saw!)

So if the 17L followed the 17, do you know where the 17A fits in?

Thanks!

BillW

BillW

ArboristSite Operative
Homelite 17A

Normally it would indicate an improvement on the 17, but that was too far back & my records are a bit spotty...Does yours have the flexable fuel line, so the carb could be turned to stay verticle?

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Homelite 17A

Bill, my 17A has a Tillotsen HL carb...doesn't need to turn to switch from felling to bucking. Kind of like a little brother to the 5-20 popular on the west coast.

I had always assumed they were made sometime in the mid to late 1950's. I do know it was before the Textron finance name went on them.