Antique Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Reaction score
Last year I got two antique stoves for my house, and I am truly amazed by their performance. I can get the house warmer than wanted, even when outside temperatures are below zero. They are cleaner than modern stoves, and look better to me. They only need to be filled 3 times a day, and they have huge ash pans that only need to be emptied a couple times a week. They are both 18" diameter cylinders, but can take a 24" log easily when stood up vertically.

They are not as efficient as a modern stove, but they generate much less soot on the chimney flue.

So here are a couple pictures of the Round Oak 18-O-2. I purchased this stove from Madison Stove Works, and couldn't be happier. The stove was about the same price as a Jotul Firelight or a Vermont Castings Defiant. It was originally built in the 1920's, and by it's construction I expect it to last a long time.

007-10.jpg

009-7.jpg

Beautiful stove and setting Ambull:yourock:

I have to agree. I have a D16 which is smaller older and doesn't have all that beautiful trim on it in my little cabin UP north. But it will heat me out of the place even in -0 weather and usually have to leave a few windows open to cool it down enough to be comfortable.

Billy

Yeah until a couple of years ago I didn't realize that these stoves were so easy to acquire, and I had no idea how well they work. I just made this post to inform people that there is an alternative to the big hunk of cast iron that is so commonplace today.

Thanks Billy

Great lookin stove!

I have used old stoves and like em, but I do like my Jotul better :)

I used to have a Jotul Firelight in the same spot. This stove burns more wood no doubt, but it heats more space, and it doesn't get the room as dusty. The Jotul was very dirty, as it seemed like the ashes and dust would pour out the door every time it was opened.

This stove will go about 10 hours, but the Jotul would stay smoldering for at least 24 hours on a full load.

The Jotul was very dirty, as it seemed like the ashes and dust would pour out the door every time it was opened.

You are correct about single door Jotuls. Everytime the large front door is opened there is a tendency for ash and dust to spill out, however that is the beauty of the Jotul Oslo because it has a side door for feeding the stove and a large ash collection pan. The front door only gets open a couple times a month to clean the glass and the ash can be moved away from the front door through the side door before opening.

I used to have a Jotul Firelight in the same spot. This stove burns more wood no doubt, but it heats more space, and it doesn't get the room as dusty. The Jotul was very dirty, as it seemed like the ashes and dust would pour out the door every time it was opened.

This stove will go about 10 hours, but the Jotul would stay smoldering for at least 24 hours on a full load.

I do like your stove, a lot!!!

I have the F118CB, old style box stove that made the Jotul famous. No ash/dust problem. So in a way, it's an antique also :cheers:

That's a great looking stove and an impressive living space. Love the stone.

For an old stove that thing has a lot of fancy stuff on there.

Lovely old stove! Looks like new.

For safety, I hope you have some air space behind the stone behind the stove, and venting above & below, of course.

I'm wondering why you put the stove up on the pedestal; kinda isolates it from cool air massing down there.

Lovely old stove! Looks like new.

For safety, I hope you have some air space behind the stone behind the stove, and venting above & below, of course.

I'm wondering why you put the stove up on the pedestal; kinda isolates it from cool air massing down there.

Actually it is a full masonry chimney, with a full masonry hearth. The raised hearth was already there. Agreed it would have been better if it was not so high.

Back