ANTS---- What came first?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2910

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been covered before & I missed it....., But are the ants in the tree because it's already in trouble, or do the ants get in the tree & kill it? I think remember seeing on one of the home improvement shows (Holmes on homes maybe?) an exterminator saying "Ants live in the wood, termites feed on the wood" Seems like a tree would be no different than a house in that respect. Also, no need to offer termite info/advice, I've already been educated about those XXXXX'ers the HARD WAY:(:msp_angry::(

Sorry if this topic has been covered before & I missed it....., But are the ants in the tree because it's already in trouble, or do the ants get in the tree & kill it? I think remember seeing on one of the home improvement shows (Holmes on homes maybe?) an exterminator saying "Ants live in the wood, termites feed on the wood" Seems like a tree would be no different than a house in that respect. Also, no need to offer termite info/advice, I've already been educated about those XXXXX'ers the HARD WAY:(:msp_angry::(

Carpenter ants will only live in wet rotting wood. They will not affect the good wood. If you have carpenter ants in your walls, you already have a water infiltration problem that they found first.

Sorry I cannot offer any insight to your specific question, but thought I would suggest you may get more responses if you posted this question in the Homeowner Forum.
:cheers:

Sorry I cannot offer any insight to your specific question, but thought I would suggest you may get more responses if you posted this question in the Homeowner Forum.
:cheers:

Thanx, but I was actually wondering about ants in trees I cut for firewood. Sorry if that was unclear

Carpenter ants will only live in wet rotting wood. They will not affect the good wood. If you have carpenter ants in your walls, you already have a water infiltration problem that they found first.

Hmm. I'm not so sure I buy that. They infiltrated my house addition as it was being built, and still do it now that it's complete.

I think they need a wound to get into a tree. Cut down a big hickory the other day with a nest at least 15 feet up in the tree starting at a dead branch, the rest of the tree was fine.

Hmm. I'm not so sure I buy that. They infiltrated my house addition as it was being built, and still do it now that it's complete.

A lot of times they will be in the house but not NESTING there. Also they will live in insulation and other things, but they like it damp. They will not chew or burrow in dry solid wood.
When I was building my addition, I also found them in it. But the exterminator showed me where they were coming from a hollow oak 6 feet from the addition.

Wait a Minute...

For the most part I agree, but carpenter ants still compound the problem. They dig massive tunnels that open up cavities for other predators and weaken the whole structure. The other predators have learned to work as a team with the carpenter ants.

It's rather hard for me to believe that carpenter ants stop dead in their tracks when they suddenly encounter healthy, live wood when inside the tree.

For the most part I agree, but carpenter ants still compound the problem. They dig massive tunnels that open up cavities for other predators and weaken the whole structure. The other predators have learned to work as a team with the carpenter ants.

It's rather hard for me to believe that carpenter ants stop dead in their tracks when they suddenly encounter healthy, live wood when inside the tree.

I'm not saying that they NEVER eat dry wood, but that they vastly prefer moist conditions to NEST in. Also they will have small satellite colonies away from the main nest. Generally if you find a colony of carpenter ants in your house, you will find water has been leaking in there also. And I agree that they work in unison with other pests.
I work in the home improvement business and run into them all the time around leaky doors and windows. I almost never find them in dry conditions.

I think they need a wound to get into a tree. Cut down a big hickory the other day with a nest at least 15 feet up in the tree starting at a dead branch, the rest of the tree was fine.

Yeah, the oak I found them in the other day had been hit by lightning some time ago

Back