Ants!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
ANyone know how to get ride of ants!

I have several small ant hills around the house and I'd like to get ride of them before they start coming in the house. They are a small red ant and hills are over a large area about 15-20 meters square. I've tried serveral products and none has seemed to do the trick.

Any ideas?

ANyone know how to get ride of ants!

I have several small ant hills around the house and I'd like to get ride of them before they start coming in the house. They are a small red ant and hills are over a large area about 15-20 meters square. I've tried serveral products and none has seemed to do the trick.

Any ideas?

I've heard that people swear by putting grits or corn meal,on and around
the mounds. The ants feed it to the queen and she dies and so does the rest.
Sorry,but I have never tried it here in Florida,where the red and issue,just
seems to be hopeless.LOL. My backyard has literally millions of red ants,and
I've tried everything but the cornmeal and grits,and nothing has even made
a dent.I have just given up over the years. Good luck. By the way,I didn't know that red ants were even that far North? I have a lot to learn,I guess.:confused:

Gasoline. The wonder product w/ thousansds of uses.

Gasoline. The wonder product w/ thousansds of uses.

I actually thought of that one,once nothing seemed to work,but I'd at least
like my dead patches of grass to come in for the summer.LOL. I do have a
ton of weeds,with no grass to be seen in a bunch of sections,though. Good
idea. Too bad that I can't pump the gasoline into all the ant tunnels,under
pressure,to make sure they all fry,not just the one's near the tops of the
mounds?

The red ant beds we have are rather large, and there is no grass there anyway, so it doesn't matter, it will grow back after the ants are gone. You can also shoot it into the hole w/ an insecticide sprayer, if you don't want it all over the mound.

I thougth baout using Gas but I wasn't sure if it would work and I didn't want to go around poor perfectly good gas everywhere.. worth a shot though.. ever light it on fire??

The red ant beds we have are rather large, and there is no grass there anyway, so it doesn't matter, it will grow back after the ants are gone. You can also shoot it into the hole w/ an insecticide sprayer, if you don't want it all over the mound.

The ants that don't get torched,will just make a new mound,a few days
later here in FL. I've got hundreds of little mounds all over the back and
front yard. Just kick the mound and they will all come running,so you could
nail them with the chemicals. Gas would be so much more fun,though.:clap:

Careful with the gasoline. I know someone that tried that but got too close to the house. Gas fumes migrated through the soil and foundation into the house. He was lucky it didn't go boom.

I'm not sure what the ant poison is called but it's granules that they feed on and then take to the queen. A day later they are all DEAD!

Be sure to pour it on top then step all over the mound and pour some more or else it won't work for some reason...

Being remote and in the mtns here, ironically have never had a problem with fire ants and the like. But....we just had a quite large sized black ant hill move in. I broke the hill up, poured gas in and around it. No more ants. Good luck. (No Smoking while dispensing)

You don't have to burn the gas. In fact, it's probably better if you don't. When I cut into a carpenter ant nest, I pour a couple of tbsp. of gas from the can down the hole, kills them all right now. When I split the log, it will be full of dead ants, and they don't seem to go back to wood that's been gassed.

Jack

I definitely would not light up the gas. There could be air pockets below that will coral the gas fumes and cause a minor blow up. Unburned fuel will have better effects as stated above by Jack. I also use it on termites found in deadwood lying about the property.

mix cloves and cinomon and spread liberally around the hills and affected areas. this works great in the house as well, plus it smells good. borax works great too. maybe mix them all for a super ant powder

I'm not sure what the ant poison is called but it's granules that they feed on and then take to the queen. A day later they are all DEAD!

Be sure to pour it on top then step all over the mound and pour some more or else it won't work for some reason...

I've tried the granules plenty of times,but they never seem to make a dent,
at least here in FL,where the ants are outrageous,to say the least.
I'm not going to attempt lighting the gas up,maybe just pour it on and into the
mounds. The only things I've done to combat the ants,was to spray the insecticides in,on,and around the
mounds.I just feel like I'm playing a video game,spraying the stream at the ants trying to run away from
the chemicals.LOL. But the damn vermine just make another mound,either that day,or a few days later,
right next to the one I nailed earlier.I've just about given up,lately,on trying to eradicate the ant population.

Last edited:
I went and filled a little gas can last night but didn't get a chance to try it.. I'll do it tonight.. can't wait.. little Buggers are everywhere.. I put crushed rock down on my driveway last year and covered all the mounds so I forgot about them, now little mounds of dirt are popping up everywhere!

Just get an anteater for a pet.

You know,that might just be the business to get into down here,that's
recession proof. I might need a whole family of anteaters,if I want to make
any kind of dent,just in my backyard. There must be millions of those SOB's.
Great idea wavefreak.:clap:

When i'm mowing my yard,and I roll up on a huge spead out section of mound,
I drop my blade to the ground and rev her up,until the mounds gone,and the
earth is burnt,then I drive off with a smile on my face.

Last edited:
When i'm mowing my yard,and I roll up on a huge spead out section of mound,
I drop my blade to the ground and rev her up,until the mounds gone,and the
earth is burnt,then I drive off with a smile on my face.

One of the small pleasure in life!

Latest posts

Back