Any advice on a preinspection of a used chipper before I buy it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking a 92' Vermeer 620 with a little over 800 hours on it. It was owned by the county previously. I have to assume the county workers don't use six inch chippers that much when they can pull around a 20"+ chippers for the same amount of pay.

What are some of the key points to inspect on this chipper, so I can determine what I want to pay? He has it priced at $5,000.

I'll probably pick up a truck while I'm there, and move into the 1990's to replace my 80's pickup. Carburetors are a pain in the brain. That particular 90's gem is priced at $3,000. If everything checks out, I should drive out of their with both units for under $6,000.

CARB (California Air Resouces Board), is one of the reasons older chippers are for sale. You should check to make sure you be be able to register it. They are on a three tier system. We got rid of a 13" Morbark Late 90's model, because it was going to cost too much to meet CARB standards.
Jeff

Where are all of these chippers winding up? We all know the answer to that.

Common sense says that there is not going to be any CARB patrol out there except maybe 2-3 people looking into the equipment yards of the major companies. Tell me how they are going to enforce CARB all the way across the board though. That's a lot of good working chippers out there that suddenly become no good because people that have a vague little website say to discard the unit or pay remittance. They aren't really looking for violations because there is no money to make a full shake down of the state. There is a scarecrow, but there is no CARB patrol, and that will create the initial momentum toward their goal. The initiation of the process is as cheap as it comes - a website and a small staff.

I'm just being realistic about the apparent issue. I prefer to be in good standing with the law. Other than that, how are they enforcing the law on alllllll of the little chipper owners?

Im so very happy about this carb thing. anything with a diesel is going dirt cheap online. alot of nice muni equip. ive been wainting for that $100+g's tub grinder to go for 10-20. Ive seen it happen, just hasnt been the model / size im lookin for.

Depending on how long that chipper has been sitting, make sure there are no flat spots in the bearings. When you have to replace the bearings on that flywheel whether it is drum or disc type, they are both expensive. Check your belts that go from the PTO to the drum/disc for dry rot or slippage. Also check the clutch for slippage and make sure the governor works, you don't want your brand new $5000 chipper over-revving and slinging a rod on your first tree job with it. Other than that, check your normal engine stuff. See if they have kept a maintenance log and have kept it greased or not. Also check that air filter. That gets overlooked more than anything on a chipper.

Good luck.

Where are all of these chippers winding up? We all know the answer to that.

Common sense says that there is not going to be any CARB patrol out there except maybe 2-3 people looking into the equipment yards of the major companies. Tell me how they are going to enforce CARB all the way across the board though. That's a lot of good working chippers out there that suddenly become no good because people that have a vague little website say to discard the unit or pay remittance. They aren't really looking for violations because there is no money to make a full shake down of the state. There is a scarecrow, but there is no CARB patrol, and that will create the initial momentum toward their goal. The initiation of the process is as cheap as it comes - a website and a small staff.

I'm just being realistic about the apparent issue. I prefer to be in good standing with the law. Other than that, how are they enforcing the law on alllllll of the little chipper owners?

I will tell you how. California got stimulous money to california to provide money for aggressive 'green enforcement' and if you think they are not out there, wrong, they are. Last year on a golf course, a lady with a hard-hat approached our job and asked for the registration. She then said shut it down. I asked who she was and what it is to her. She said she was in the neighborhood and heard the chipper and decided to check it out. Yup, my buddy in Lakeside is a small 3 man operation and was pulled over by the CHP in the truck. He paid $4000 bucks to get it up to par and register. When you go to the DMV, you will see. We got rid of ours to a guy who has an avocado farm in Fallbrook. He wont be registering it with the DMV, he keeps it on his property and never takes it on the hiways. This state needs money and they will look at every truck and chipper they can. Good luck.
Jeff :)

I will tell you how. California got stimulous money to california to provide money for aggressive 'green enforcement' and if you think they are not out there, wrong, they are. Last year on a golf course, a lady with a hard-hat approached our job and asked for the registration. She then said shut it down. I asked who she was and what it is to her. She said she was in the neighborhood and heard the chipper and decided to check it out. Yup, my buddy in Lakeside is a small 3 man operation and was pulled over by the CHP in the truck. He paid $4000 bucks to get it up to par and register. When you go to the DMV, you will see. We got rid of ours to a guy who has an avocado farm in Fallbrook. He wont be registering it with the DMV, he keeps it on his property and never takes it on the hiways. This state needs money and they will look at every truck and chipper they can. Good luck.

4000? ouch.

Maybe go gas. Aren't those hydraulic bandit WC-17 chippers gas? One for sale around here for about 10 grand. It's got a Ford 6cyl, like those older chuck n' ducks.

Speaking of the state needing money, watch out for the parking wardens!!! wowsers. They drive in these little white Kia's around here and are out to get you! :dizzy:

4000? ouch.

Maybe go gas. Aren't those hydraulic bandit WC-17 chippers gas? One for sale around here for about 10 grand. It's got a Ford 6cyl, like those older chuck n' ducks.

Speaking of the state needing money, watch out for the parking wardens!!! wowsers. They drive in these little white Kia's around here and are out to get you! :dizzy:

HaHa!, Hey Mike, how many CHP with radar these days? Crazy. FTA will learn though maybe the hard way also a good way. Hope he listens. Hey, If you are looking for a deal on a chipper, check with the big boys in your area. I think you will be surprised. Our Op's guy in LA knows alot of guys.

HaHa!, Hey Mike, how many CHP with radar these days? Crazy. FTA will learn though maybe the hard way also a good way. Hope he listens. Hey, If you are looking for a deal on a chipper, check with the big boys in your area. I think you will be surprised. Our Op's guy in LA knows alot of guys.

Thanks, Jeff. I may just do that.

I called your guys up here about a climbing position a couple weeks back but the man I spoke with said they didn't have a need for an extra climber at the moment. Thankfully, however, I have landed quite a few good jobs lately and am in a much better position than I was about a month ago. I appreciate the help!

By the way, for FTA and I's sake, would it be better for guys like us to finance decent used chippers from a dealer that we couldn't otherwise afford OR find something cheap that we can pay for in one fell swoop?

I have seen some old chuck n ducks for about 2 grand and I imagine those Ford 6cyls are pretty easy to work on and find parts for. I am just a bit worried that one of my groundies will be eaten alive!

I'm looking a 92' Vermeer 620 with a little over 800 hours on it. It was owned by the county previously. I have to assume the county workers don't use six inch chippers that much when they can pull around a 20"+ chippers for the same amount of pay.

What are some of the key points to inspect on this chipper, so I can determine what I want to pay? He has it priced at $5,000.

I'll probably pick up a truck while I'm there, and move into the 1990's to replace my 80's pickup. Carburetors are a pain in the brain. That particular 90's gem is priced at $3,000. If everything checks out, I should drive out of their with both units for under $6,000.

Are you sure the chipper is diesel? As far as I know, CARB does not regulate gas chippers.

What kind of pickup for 3 grand? I found an 89 diesel f350 dump for less than that. Having hauled brush with those 80's and 90's pickups for the past couple years, I can say productivity with a dump is way better! It holds significantly more and makes unloading so much easier.

Maybe get something like this: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/1906125345.html

You could probably get the owner to bring the price down to a little over 2 grand. I had a 454 pickup in the past but man, that thing ate gas.

Are you sure the chipper is diesel? As far as I know, CARB does not regulate gas chippers.

What kind of pickup for 3 grand? I found an 89 diesel f350 dump for less than that. Having hauled brush with those 80's and 90's pickups for the past couple years, I can say productivity with a dump is way better! It holds significantly more and makes unloading so much easier.

Maybe get something like this: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/1906125345.html

You could probably get the owner to bring the price down to a little over 2 grand. I had a 454 pickup in the past but man, that thing ate gas.

Pretty sure it is diesel.
Oh, my bad, 620, Aint that a lawnmower engine on there. Yeah, Don't put diesel in there. Gas is go to go, Diesel anything is getting taxed in California. You will be driving across Del Mar Heights and at El Camino Real, there is a vehicle check point. Cha Ching!
Jeff

Last edited:
The chipper I went to see is a small gas engine, and CARB doesn't want anything to do with it. Realistically it's a big step forward since it will reduce the volume of my loads by 3. Anything that doesn't fit it just goes to all of the firewood dumps around. In the spring I'll pick up something bigger to chip with when I buy the bigger truck with it - 25k to 35k GVW.

Depending on how long that chipper has been sitting, make sure there are no flat spots in the bearings. When you have to replace the bearings on that flywheel whether it is drum or disc type, they are both expensive. Check your belts that go from the PTO to the drum/disc for dry rot or slippage. Also check the clutch for slippage and make sure the governor works, you don't want your brand new $5000 chipper over-revving and slinging a rod on your first tree job with it. Other than that, check your normal engine stuff. See if they have kept a maintenance log and have kept it greased or not. Also check that air filter. That gets overlooked more than anything on a chipper.

Good luck.

I'm printing this out, and keeping it around for future instances. Thanks

I would look at the anvil/bedknife mount, I've seen many that are frozen solid from lack of adjustment.

Look at the suspension, many have cracked leaf springs.

I know guys who pay a mech to come out and go over anything with a fine toothed comb, a few repo purchases have had very good results in nit-picking problems.

I would look at the anvil/bedknife mount, I've seen many that are frozen solid from lack of adjustment.

Look at the suspension, many have cracked leaf springs.

I know guys who pay a mech to come out and go over anything with a fine toothed comb, a few repo purchases have had very good results in nit-picking problems.

I hate to not know everything. Where am I looking on the machine for the anvil/bedknife mount? I assume it's an adjustable piece of steel that the brush is dragged over, and at the end of the steel is a ledge. The knives run by the ledge chipping off any wood that is hanging over it. As the knives wear away from sharpening etc, they become shorter, so the anvil's position has to be updated by moving it closer to the knives. Is that about it? I assume I should open the lid to expose the knives to see this anvil and it's adjusting modules.

I hate to not know everything. Where am I looking on the machine for the anvil/bedknife mount? I assume it's an adjustable piece of steel that the brush is dragged over, and at the end of the steel is a ledge. The knives run by the ledge chipping off any wood that is hanging over it. As the knives wear away from sharpening etc, they become shorter, so the anvil's position has to be updated by moving it closer to the knives. Is that about it? I assume I should open the lid to expose the knives to see this anvil and it's adjusting modules.

You have the idea, the adjustments are usually under the infeed.

Hi FTA, if you get the chipper, I know a great guy in El,Cajon. Harvey Pederson. His brother is the owner of Western. He is where I used to go back in the chuck and duck days. I can pm you his number.

I have his card, and I know where the shop is. I'll probably be seeing him soon.

Latest posts

Back