Any body buying log truck loads of poles for firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fast splitter, and I cheat.

I keep seeing people post up that they can split a cord of wood in a few hours.
Without knowing the details, its hard to know how that can be done.
I have a single stroke hydraulic splitter and with cut rounds stacked next to it, I can barley split a cord a day.
How can one split a cord in 2 hours?

My quick splitter has about a 9 second cycle time, 3 way wedge, and I don't stack it up. Either tossed into a truck or pile on ground. I split 1 cord in just over a hour of pine. Your harder wood would be a little slower...

I keep seeing people post up that they can split a cord of wood in a few hours.
Without knowing the details, its hard to know how that can be done.
I have a single stroke hydraulic splitter and with cut rounds stacked next to it, I can barley split a cord a day.
How can one split a cord in 2 hours?
I know the variables can have a great deal to do with it, but damn, I sure wish I could split a cord in 2 hours.
My wood comes from tree companies, (mostly red and post oak)so I get what they bring me, and most of the time, it’s big tree trunks that cant be shredded.
If I start early and noodle up some rounds, then split and toss into a pile, then stack it. I can barley get a cord a day done.
It goes a little faster when the wood is around 18” in diameter and in long strait logs and I split into large pieces.
Splitting it into smaller pieces takes a lot more time, some like the bigger split wood and some like the smaller stuff.

You must be dilly-dally-ing. I run a 22 ton Huskee (el cheap from Tractor Supply). I do 1/2 cord every 45 mins (that's when the 1/4 gallon tank runs dry). That's not really hussling, but it certainly isn't slacking.

The goal is for the splitter ram to never stop moving. If the ram is stopped, you are losing productivity.

ac

You must be dilly-dally-ing. I run a 22 ton Huskee (el cheap from Tractor Supply). I do 1/2 cord every 45 mins (that's when the 1/4 gallon tank runs dry). That's not really hussling, but it certainly isn't slacking.

The goal is for the splitter ram to never stop moving. If the ram is stopped, you are losing productivity.

ac

My neighbour has one of those, I said I would go and split their wood if they block it first. I was thinking it would take half the time with mine, but I was assuming I would do 2 cords an hour if it was there stacked. Of course it depends what length you are splitting as well..

ac

Well sir, I’d like to know what kind of wood you’re talking about, what length and how small are the finished pieces and if the wood is dry or green?
I have the same Husky splitter and splitting red oak and pecan, post oak into 20” length pieces and splitting them down to an average of 2x4 and 4x4 pieces, takes me quite a while to work through.
No way can I do it in a few hours, and I’d like to see it done. I think some of these people are fudging there time a bit.

Well sir, I’d like to know what kind of wood you’re talking about, what length and how small are the finished pieces and if the wood is dry or green?
I have the same Husky splitter and splitting red oak and pecan, post oak into 20” length pieces and splitting them down to an average of 2x4 and 4x4 pieces, takes me quite a while to work through.
No way can I do it in a few hours, and I’d like to see it done. I think some of these people are fudging there time a bit.

I split all hard woods. Generally I have a mix of ash, elm, oak and maples. Cuts are 18-20". I usually split so the backbone is 4-6". I work the splitter in horizontal mode 100%. Generally my rounds are 10" to 20" diameter. I usually split the round in 1/2 and put 1 half on the edge of the motor mount leaning on my leg. Then I work the other half peeling off splits. My goal is to never allow the ram to stop moving.

Working diligently I can split enough wood on 1 tank of fuel that lasts 45 minutes to fill 2 of my pallet racks. Each rack is right about 1/4 cord.
IMAG0046.jpg

Note: the wood isn't stacked in that 45 mins. I usually spend the next 15 mins enjoying the silence of the splitter not running to stack those 2 racks.

ac

I split all hard woods. Generally I have a mix of ash, elm, oak and maples. Cuts are 18-20". I usually split so the backbone is 4-6". I work the splitter in horizontal mode 100%. Generally my rounds are 10" to 20" diameter. I usually split the round in 1/2 and put 1 half on the edge of the motor mount leaning on my leg. Then I work the other half peeling off splits. My goal is to never allow the ram to stop moving.

Working diligently I can split enough wood on 1 tank of fuel that lasts 45 minutes to fill 2 of my pallet racks. Each rack is right about 1/4 cord.
IMAG0046.jpg

Note: the wood isn't stacked in that 45 mins. I usually spend the next 15 mins enjoying the silence of the splitter not running to stack those 2 racks.

ac

If your using the create that you made from pallets in the picture as your gage, then you may be off on your measurement.
That create looks like it will only hold a ¼ cord at best, so you only have a ½ cord in the two creates on the tractor.
The size of your splits look about like what I split mine to.
I try to have a mix of sizes in my cords.
How much wood is in the two creates you have in the picture?

If your using the create that you made from pallets in the picture as your gage, then you may be off on your measurement.
That create looks like it will only hold a ¼ cord at best, so you only have a ½ cord in the two creates on the tractor.
The size of your splits look about like what I split mine to.
I try to have a mix of sizes in my cords.
How much wood is in the two creates you have in the picture?

I have said all along I can split 1/2 cord in 45 mins working diligently.

The crates are dimensioned as follows:

48" deep
42" high
36" wide

42 cubic feet.

Hmm, I guess I was off on my measurement. Each is actually more like 1/3 cord! I actually split 2/3 of a cord in 45 mins!

ac

View attachment 271168

This took about an hour to split. Probably take me as long to move and stack..

I have ordered some Dino Bags to see how that works, 12 to start with as above that the shipping hurts. They are about your crate size.

Last edited:
View attachment 271168

This took about an hour to split. Probably take me as long to move and stack..

I have ordered some Dino Bags to see how that works, 12 to start with as above that the shipping hurts. They are about your crate size.

I have used the Dino Bag. Good product. In fact, I continue to use the one I have when I need to move wood that I stacked before starting the pallet boxes.

I would venture to say you split at least 2 bags full in that pile.

I have used the Dino Bag. Good product. In fact, I continue to use the one I have when I need to move wood that I stacked before starting the pallet boxes.

I would venture to say you split at least 2 bags full in that pile.

More like 6, most of the pieces are 24", and it was 3 F150 Truck loads piles as high as I could with the tailgate down

Anyway I decided today to do a small experiment:

View attachment 271355

Here we have at 24 inch length the equivalent of 1/4 cord.

View attachment 271356

6 minutes later.

Some comments:

I split everything at least once. Even small stuff that I would not usually bother with.
Length of wood makes little difference.
I tried not to rush.
Noticeable that I slowed down as I had to reach further, if I had a helper and a ready table I could be much faster.
None of the wood needed more than one hit.
Most of the wood I had to hand was smaller diameter, I prefer larger diameter as I only have to pick them up once and it is quicker to whittle down than split smaller pieces once. Smaller pieces that I can just about grab by the ends with one hand are my next favourite as I can grab 2 in one go.
I tried to split them to 'supermarket' size.

So about 2 cords an hour, If I had a big pile I would move the splitter as needed. But that takes little time. A couple of seconds to grab the table and pull it back a few feet.

The saw is my new Earthquake.

Just a thought, but for most of my wood a 4 way wedge would really help.

More like 6, most of the pieces are 24", and it was 3 F150 Truck loads piles as high as I could with the tailgate down

Anyway I decided today to do a small experiment:

View attachment 271355

Here we have at 24 inch length the equivalent of 1/4 cord.

View attachment 271356

6 minutes later.

Some comments:

I split everything at least once. Even small stuff that I would not usually bother with.
Length of wood makes little difference.
I tried not to rush.
Noticeable that I slowed down as I had to reach further, if I had a helper and a ready table I could be much faster.
None of the wood needed more than one hit.
Most of the wood I had to hand was smaller diameter, I prefer larger diameter as I only have to pick them up once and it is quicker to whittle down than split smaller pieces once. Smaller pieces that I can just about grab by the ends with one hand are my next favourite as I can grab 2 in one go.
I tried to split them to 'supermarket' size.

So about 2 cords an hour, If I had a big pile I would move the splitter as needed. But that takes little time. A couple of seconds to grab the table and pull it back a few feet.

The saw is my new Earthquake.

Ok I see why you get so much wood split in so little time. For one, the wood you are splitting is small logs that only need to be split once or twice. Secondly you’re using a faster splitter. And most important, it’s cold there, so you can keep up a good pace without dying of heat stroke.lol

Here is the wood I have to work with.

ta2b90.jpg

My splitter

df98ht.jpg

After stacking.

mwpaiu.jpg

Plus, its usualy 95+ degrees when i split my wood.lol
And not that it matters, i'm probably a bit older at 52, I dont move as fast as i use to.lol

Come down here to Texas in July and try that **** and i'll be calling 911 for you.lol

Last edited:
Ok I see why you get so much wood split in so little time. For one, the wood you are splitting is small logs that only need to be split once or twice. Secondly you’re using a faster splitter. And most important, it’s cold there, so you can keep up a good pace without dying of heat stroke.lol

Here is the wood I have to work with.

ta2b90.jpg

My splitter

df98ht.jpg

After stacking.

mwpaiu.jpg

Plus, its usualy 95+ degrees when i split my wood.lol
And not that it matters, i'm probably a bit older at 52, I dont move as fast as i use to.lol

Come down here to Texas in July and try that **** and i'll be calling 911 for you.lol

I am 5 years older! I have time to split in the winter. Sometimes it is just too cold and windy, yesterday was a nice sunny still day.

Larger diameter wood would be quicker, the time delay is in picking the wood up, my back.... I much prefer 24" rounds. I dislike cutting the small logs. Lot of time for not much wood.

I am 5 years older! I have time to split in the winter. Sometimes it is just too cold and windy, yesterday was a nice sunny still day.

Larger diameter wood would be quicker, the time delay is in picking the wood up, my back.... I much prefer 24" rounds. I dislike cutting the small logs. Lot of time for not much wood.

One thing I failed to mention, I always split green wood. I never seem to get to leave it till its dry. Picking up 150lb chunks kills my back after awhile so I have to take it slow.
With the wood I have to work with and the type of splitter I have, you or anyone else are not going to produce that much wood, no way, no how.

One thing I failed to mention, I always split green wood. I never seem to get to leave it till its dry. Picking up 150lb chunks kills my back after awhile so I have to take it slow.
With the wood I have to work with and the type of splitter I have, you or anyone else are not going to produce that much wood, no way, no how.

I have plenty of wood, but Pine and Aspen, wood many on here would not bother with. Just remembered last lot was Doug Fir, much heavier, but you get what you can get.

My wood starts off dry, I made the mistake of letting a lot of it sit too long and it became a pain to block.

So I think the best bet is to block as soon as I can and split whenever. I went around my piles this morning, collected the odds I had cut a little bit too long, I guess I did a cord and have another cord stacked and that is it until I get more wood.

Last edited:
I have plenty of wood, but Pine and Aspen, wood many on here would not bother with. Just remembered last lot was Doug Fir, much heavier, but you get what you can get.

My wood starts off dry, I made the mistake of letting a lot of it sit too long and it became a pain to block.

So I think the best bet is to block as soon as I can and split whenever. I went around my piles this morning, collected the odds I had cut a little bit too long, I guess I did a cord and have another cord stacked and that is it until I get more wood.

I find that I can get through a pile of smaller rounds faster then the big stuff. I split deferent ways for deferent purposes. For just plane firewood I split it a bit bigger and don’t worry about what shape it is. For BBQ wood, I do it a bit different.
I like the big wood because it has more heartwood in it, and I split so that I get the most heartwood I can. The rest gets thrown in with the regular firewood.
I only deal with wood you can cook with. Most people around here want oak firewood and nothing else, unless it just for a camp fire, then anything will do.
So if you can’t cook with it, I generally don’t mess with it. I will take most kinds of oak though.
All the junk wood I end up with goes in the camp wood pile along with all the scrap.
I’ve see videos of the splitter you have and they are fast and much faster then mine.
I may look into getting one someday.

To answer to the first posts :)

Recently bought a truckload of logs. I'll get it at the end of the month. It's around 5.5 cord for €750, all oak. It's cheaper in the summer but even with this price, it's better for me to buy it than to get it myself.

Situation for me in Belgium:
I'm alone so the things I can do on a day are limited and all the forests are overseen by the government. So the allowed wood for cutting is very limited. You also need to get a permit which specifies what you can cut, mostly dead or 'wild' trees. Takes a lot of time. Then you'll need to get the logs out of the woods, also a problem without the right equipment (and even harder alone). Then you need to haul them to your home, also expensive with the petrol prices here and takes a lot of time.
There is also the option to buy forests that need to get cut for building purpose or roads but you need to buy them. Ofc all the firms buy them so don't have a chance to get them.

So instead of buying a lot of equipment and still losing the best wood to the businesses, I can better have them delivered at home. Saves me a lot of work and is cheaper all costs compared. Another advantage of getting logs delivered is that they are mainly the same sizes + quality is guaranteed. So you can use a set-up to process those sizes and work quicker than when processing big and small logs at the same time.
Next to that, you can work at home. No time lost with driving to the site/moving equipment (loading saws, getting everything ready to go), work whenever you want, easy to put up some lights if it's a little dark. If you go further you can also say; less chance to have an accident with your car, don't need to clean the car that often, don't make extra miles with it, etc. You can even take into account that you'll have faster help when you have an accident. There are a lot of advantages imo. Just need to take everything in account.

This doesn't mean I don't love to go into the woods. And I would do it when there is an opportunity that isn't far away. But only when it's close to me and offered to me.

Back