Any baby boomers still heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61 model. If we’re home, the stove is burning. Non-cat phase 2 certified Dovre’ heats the house while we’re awake. Jotul 602B I bought from a guy that said his mom used to make tortillas on the cook plate in Mexico when he was a kid. No picture at the moment. I heat my 650sf un-insulated shop with the Jotul
5133076E-9824-47A6-B79C-9BBBF020E767.jpeg

53 model
Rumford Fireplace, designed by Count Rumford in about 1790, about the same time as the United States!

Aarrow boiler stove 25kw

Also a Danish Aduro 9 stove which is very efficient and keeps my Danish wife happy
Danish video is quite an interesting watch

'53.
Started burning wood after service and going to WWSC (WWU now) on GI Bill. B'ham used to have a cedar shake mill and they'd let you have as much scrap kindling as you could cart off. Had a fireplace and two burner stove in the house built in 1912.. Mt. Baker Nat forest was the main wood source.
First real stove was a Jotul Elephant. it used a lot of madrone and fir and would drive us out (southern oregon)
Next was a Blaze King King in a 4 level split in eastern WA .. worked great, got wood from national forest with permits.
Career took me overseas so for about 15 years and we used bottled propane or electricity, no wood stove.
Put a new smaller wood stove in shop when we were overseas but it wouldnt keep an outhouse warm... can't remember the brand. Finally bought another Blaze King King and it drives us out. I won't put a BK King in the new house.. Not sure if it will be a BK or non-catalytic yet. I've switched out the ceramic cat for a stainless steel one which does burn hotter but clogs up sooner.
Well, yes I still burn wood. I have a King 40 and installed it last year. Burning great (not saying that because I work for the company but because I have owned 3 prior versions of the King. Each time a new model is in development, I get to see it burn long before it goes through the certification process. My wife's grandfather logged Mt. Baker when trees were 6' through the center and used 2 man saws. I have a few of his old manual 2 man saws and even had a few of his very, very early chain saws. Damn they are heavy.

A few young redneck boys around here burn wood. I Watched a couple of young brothers cut and load a pickup load of locust in about 45 minutes.
Must have been a half ton :) lol.
Couldn't resist.

Most of the boomers I know that still heat with wood are living on a farm. My dad was about my age when he stopped. That was coincidentally about the time I graduated HS and moved out of the house....

'55 version here. We've been heating exclusively with wood since Nov. 2014.

The heater:

qyYh1t9.jpg

The fuel.

Woodshed #1, Bays #1 (closest) and #2. #1 has Sweet Gum; #2 has a mix of White Oak and Maple. Each can hold ~3 cords. This was put up this year i.e. about 5 1/4 cords.

aQoQX6P.jpg

Woodshed #2, Bays #1 (furthest), #2 (middle) and #3 (closest). #1 is filled with Poplar; #2 a mix of hardwoods (Ash, Hackberry, etc.); #3 is full of Red Oak with a very small amount of White Oak. All this was put up by March 2017.

The Pole Barn. All this has been put up for several (+4 years or so); mostly Hickory and Maple with some Pine for fire starting:

o3t42F8.jpg

IK3DnP0.jpg

The above does not include firewood set aside specifically for a) smoking meats and b) recreational firewood.

Latest posts

Back