Any body ever thought of using there chips in a wood chip boiler/generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love all the analysis of wood gasification, but a little off topic. The problem is yards and yards of material (wood chips) which cost me money in labor and transportation to get rid of. Steam is a proven reliable source of that can be easily regulated with a governor to achieve proper frequency . The problem is available steam engines

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I agree. While it's a fun idea and would be neat to experiment with, it's not a practical way to generate electricity if grid power is available. Electricity is a very good value for the dollar.

I did some research, and grid tied solar is finally less expensive in michigan than electricity from the grid. Detroit Edison offers 20 cents rebate per installed watt of solar, the feds give a 30% tax rebate and a 4% 10 year loan on solar. Works out that i can purchase a complete solar kit that is rated to produce twice the power my home currently consumes for under $50/month.

I think there is value in experimenting with other means of generating electricity, but solar is finally cheap enough to be economically viable.

One problem with generating electricity with wood gas is the extremely tight rpm tolerance required to generate clean power. It is recommended that you be within 2-3% of 60 hz. That means that the engine needs to be regulated to within about 100 rpm's regardless of load. This is tricky for a small engine even with common fuels like gasoline or natural gas. I would imagine that it's even more difficult of a challenge using woodgas. This doesn't make the project not worth doing, it's just something to think about. Possible solutions to unsteady RPM: You could only power appliances that are not picky about frequency, like toasters, electric heaters, incandescent light bulbs, etc. You could alternatively get extra fancy and power an inverter type generator with woodgas, like a honda eu2000 (or a chinease clone) These "generators" are actually an extremely efficient alternator and and inverter that make perfectly clean 60hz power regardless of rpm as long as you stay within a really wide margin, like between 1,000-5000 rpm. Another cheaper but less efficient option is to turn one or more automotive type alternators that feed a battery bank that in turn powers a cheap inverter. You can get a 2kw inverter for $200 shipped to your house. An alternator makes a nominal 12 volts between about 800 and 8000 rpm's, but more current (amps) are available at higher rpm. Automotive alternators are very inefficient at generating electricity but that's the penalty you pay for a device that produces clean stable power over a wide range of rpm's. One more option is to find an inexpensive used UPS that corrects both frequency and voltage. These are not very common, but they do exist and resale value is very poor, making them inexpensive. You could then use the original generator outside of it's standard operating rpm and the UPS would produce the correct frequency and voltage.

Ideally, if you were using woodgas to power a generator is that you could benefit from cogeneration and heat your home with the excess heat.

i just need a reliable five to ten horse steam engine. steam engines have lots of torque and that`s the secret to spinning a stator

There are a lot of schools in north east USA using huge furnaces that burn wood chips . To heat just a house and a large garage it's just not even close to cost effective even with free chips . There are some units out there and most hopers hold 10 or more yard of chips . The hopers have a revolving blade on the bottom to stir the chips to feed them . I looked a couple years ago and it was about 35k for the whole setup and it would hear 50,000 square foot warehouse like nothing else. I think they where called biomass boilers .
Now if your just looking to gasify biomass I'm happy I'm not your neighbor ....booooom!!! Without some was to extract and contain and separate the gasses from air (ie vacume pumps and compressors and you will still need a storage tank and a separator system . Just boiling the gasses from biomass in a steel can heated with anything is scary , unconfined gasses and a heat source to top it all off is by some definitions a bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a show on these generators they put on old landfills that run on methane gas . They where calling the units thunder pumpkins , huge huge huge engines that where ungodly loud but put out crazy energy . If you can get a gig enough pile of chips you can build one of those and light up a city block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just need a reliable five to ten horse steam engine. steam engines have lots of torque and that`s the secret to spinning a stator

I worked at a woodshop that used their scrap to run a steam generator, but it was a commercial unit, a GE turbine, not any sort of piston engine. They had two "firemen" every shift to run it and watch over it, but man, did it work! Powered the whole factory, always warm, all the machines, and they made so much extra electricity they sold it into the grid. the boss/manager there told me, at the time, mid 70s, they were getting a 9 grand check every month from the utility company.

My boss has an antique steam engine and a sawmill it goes to, I had hoped by now we'd be restoring it, but he keeps throwing all his energy and loot at the broiler farm.

I just googled "small steam engines" , there are enough hits to keep ya busy for awhile, here's one from India. They say not suitable for real precision generating, but maybe could be tweaked better. Lots more hits, just look. One link says, make one from small gas engine..who knows. It's old tech, should be doable.

http://www.tinytechindia.com/steampowerplan.htm

Anybody ever look into how much water it takes to run a steam engine?

4 tons of coal requires 5,000 gallons of water.

There was a water tender created that held 24,000 gallons of water that allowed a particular locomotive to travel 40 miles without stopping.

Granted. A 5-10 kW generator is minuscule in size compared to a locomotive, but the point is you will need to factor in a method to move lots of water if using a steam engine. Not such a big deal in michigan but a more insurmountable task in Nevada.

After doing a bunch of math it becomes obvious that electricity from the grid is a great bargain!

Arguably the most fuel efficient off the shelf generator is the Honda eu200i.

It will produce about 12 kwh of electricity on a single gallon of fuel. (More importantly, it will produce 1kw per hour for 12 hours on a gallon of fuel)

Just in fuel, that's $3.00/kwh. Compare that to about $0.18/kwh for electricity from the grid.

Arguably the most fuel efficient off the shelf generator is the Honda eu200i.

It will produce about 12 kwh of electricity on a single gallon of fuel. (More importantly, it will produce 1kw per hour for 12 hours on a gallon of fuel)

Just in fuel, that's $3.00/kwh. Compare that to about $0.18/kwh for electricity from the grid.

I think your math is a bit off there. It's about $0.25 per kWh at $3.00 per gallon of gas if the generator can truly make 12kWh on one gallon. Additionally $0.18 for grid power is expensive for most of the US, many of us pay way less. I for example pay $0.081 for the first 600 kWh of electricity and $0.09 for the additional kWh after that.

That is on top of the $5.25 base charge for line maintenance etc.

I think your math is a bit off there. It's about $0.25 per kWh at $3.00 per gallon of gas if the generator can truly make 12kWh on one gallon. Additionally $0.18 for grid power is expensive for most of the US, many of us pay way less. I for example pay $0.081 for the first 600 kWh of electricity and $0.09 for the additional kWh after that.

Thanks for correcting my math! I was off by a factor of 12!

Electricity here in metro detroit averages around 16-18c/kwh

It costs me even more because we only use about 10kwh/day. All those fees, taxes, extra charges etc effectively causes each kwh to cost more as one uses less energy.

Over here in Europe it is easy to buy a wood gasifier for home heating running on wood chips. Similar mechanism as the "normal" pellet gasifiers. They don't cost much more when setting up a complete new home heating firewood system, that heats the heat sink so that you have about a 12 hr time period where no fire is needed. But these systems donot produce electricity. They are only used for heating, but they are maximum efficiently at burning wood.

Back