Any bulletproof newer Pro saws out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How RELIABLE have your newer saws been?

• GREAT - No issues - love my newer saw!

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Pretty DECENT - only 1 or 2 small issues, nothing major

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • SO SO - Considerable issue(s)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • NOT GOOD - LARGE issue(s)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • LOUSY - this new junk really sucks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The guys on my fire crews have put some pretty intense run time on the 461s with very few issues. We bought a 661R and it's going on about 50 tanks with no hiccups so far, running a 36" bar in bigger soft woods.

I've got a 390XP that I'm nearing about 50 tanks on as well and the only hiccup so far with it has been the tank vent.

346s, 5100s, 7900s, they have all been top notch and trouble free. Four tanks went through a 346 today without problem, it is a ported 2010 saw.

I am intrigued by the autotune saws. Done right it would seem like they could be really good. Then you keep hearing about software issues, carbs that stumble, things of that sort...

I know that you have a really nice 5100, but I would question putting them in the trouble free category given their history. BTW, my 261 should be back soon!

Although I use mostly Husky, the 038 Mag is one of the toughest, long lasting saws out there.

When I worked for Iverson's and later for Huffman-Wright, both companies had 038s that were lasting 15-16 years as landing saws. That's an incredible service life for a landing saw, since the landing is the toughest environment that a chainsaw will ever see.

When I worked for Iverson's and later for Huffman-Wright, both companies had 038s that were lasting 15-16 years as landing saws. That's an incredible service life for a landing saw, since the landing is the toughest environment that a chainsaw will ever see.
I hear ya Jacob. Although not big on rpm they have a metric ton of torque, possibly due to the longer stroke.
They always were a prefered rental saw due to their being bulletproof.

Too bad the filter - choke system is archaic. They may still be popular.

I know that you have a really nice 5100, but I would question putting them in the trouble free category given their history. BTW, my 261 should be back soon!

My previous one was a stellar performer. I think the history of tune issues is a bit overblown, honestly.

My previous one was a stellar performer. I think the history of tune issues is a bit overblown, honestly.
I see it similarly. And seeing how little complaints come from pro users on german forums it is for me actually non existant.

While not a pro saw per say my 460 rancher was bought new from my local dealer in 2014 been using It fairly often since. Only issue I have found with it is that I run out of wood to cut before I want to stop. Hoping I can save t $$$ to scrounge up a 395xp before the fall and give it ago

My echo cs-590 has had no problems doing around 10 cord a year for the past 3 years as a one saw plan. Technically not a pro saw but split mag case at ranch/farm saw price. A friend has a 455 rancher I can't even fathom a guess how many tanks that saw has threw it out cuts any 460 iv ever seen. The person running the saw has more to do with reliability then pro vs non pro built saw.

Is your fuel of better quality than what is offered here in the US?
Don't know if our fuel is of better quality. But after being on this and other sites for some time and reading quite a few times about how people use special funnels to limit the amount of water- and other contamination, I must say that is totally unheard of over here. Although we have the same situation with 10% ethanol in the fuel and I am not worried one second leaving my fuel for a year in my equipment. I usually try not to but I am not running around in panic, but in the german forums there is a similar trend to the US where it is recomended to replace after ~ 1/2 a year, without any real hard evidence provided.

Don't know if our fuel is of better quality. But after being on this and other sites for some time and reading quite a few times about how people use special funnels to limit the amount of water- and other contamination, I must say that is totally unheard of over here. Although we have the same situation with 10% ethanol in the fuel and I am not worried one second leaving my fuel for a year in my equipment. I usually try not to but I am not running around in panic, but in the german forums there is a similar trend to the US where it is recomended to replace after ~ 1/2 a year, without any real hard evidence provided.

If I leave it a year in a machine over here I would be lucky if the ,machine started.

Latest posts

Back