Any bulletproof newer Pro saws out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How RELIABLE have your newer saws been?

• GREAT - No issues - love my newer saw!

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Pretty DECENT - only 1 or 2 small issues, nothing major

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • SO SO - Considerable issue(s)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • NOT GOOD - LARGE issue(s)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • LOUSY - this new junk really sucks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lmao. The saws are water babies, Many have been Droped off docks, Someone else dove down on a later shift and brought one up on one job I was on. So the barge is tied to tight? Must be a MD Hughes 500. I'd be more concerned about the 1.5 million dollar heli.

562XP-I run 14 gallons tru the saw in 6 months with no problem.
2nd pool cold, first pool on hot engine. Never use the decompression. Never run out of gas.
The harder you use this saw the better is get.
If I ever have to buy another saw, that would be the 562XP

i think the 562xp is the whole reason for this thread. lol to be honest, when it comes to the most reliable saw available right now i think i have to agree with catbuster. the 461 is the new 660. even if i hate stihl :D

Lmao. The saws are water babies, Many have been Droped off docks, Someone else dove down on a later shift and brought one up on one job I was on. So the barge is tied to tight? Must be a MD Hughes 500. I'd be more concerned about the 1.5 million dollar heli.

ya was a 500. barge doesn't have a pad on it so there is a pad on the landing. barge has a dock tied to it and a ramp going up to the landing. i should have got pics dang it! no doubt they were concerned about the heli but that's on the pilot and no one else. he has a specified pad up the road he was supposed to park on but decided the landing was ok. no one expected the tide to be that high though. there was even a buncher and a loader on the landing too lol

My crews have been running a half dozen of Stihl's MS461 for about a year now. If we do some averaging and maths I get 3 tanks/day times 6/7 days per week times ~270 days (3/4) of a year. Which as an exact estimate (nice oxymoron, huh?) is 694.285714 tanks. Which rounds to 694 tanks through six saws in 9 months of use. Some have seen more, some have seen less. And they're still going on somewhere between 45/50-1 HP Ultra every damn day. They get standard seasonal maintenance. You know, tuning, fuel and air filters and spark plugs; plus daily maintenance like cleaning the air filters and cleaning the crap out from under the clutch cover.

How's that for a reliable saw? They're doing just as well as the 440s and 441s they replaced, and a much as it pains me fo say it, better than the 372s we tried.
Yes that was an oxymoron, good one.
Now back to biz.
So 116 tanks a year on average.
Let's see, I run 372's ported for Falling and can get about 1200 production hours. we will call that 2,000 tanks. About 200 days and I retire the bottom ends. They don't break. Even 150 days It equals to prepahs 12 years per saw at your rate. Giving you room here. 12 years out of your 372 and you have had greater than twelve years on the 461.
So In the last 30 years say...how long you been in Biz?
I'll tell you I'v been running 371/372 from 1996 I will contest your math.
It dosen't work!
Seriously what was the chief complaints with 372. Could there have been other deciding factors that you overlooked? Like experience of the personal/ different personal. How long did you use 372's in said business?

This husky has been especially unreliable. Stupid thing has 2 years production on it and then all the sudden it jumped out in front of a tree. What a POS!

ade409525da8750ab4aaf3f9f3a55dfd.jpg
Damn thing shoulda looked both ways fore jump in out there, that's how you get runned over........what the hell? :laughing: don't like to see a guys saw as part of the lay.....but better than the photographer!

Yes that was an oxymoron, good one.
Now back to biz.
So 116 tanks a year on average.
Let's see, I run 372's ported for Falling and can get about 1200 production hours. we will call that 2,000 tanks. About 200 days and I retire the bottom ends. They don't break. Even 150 days It equals to prepahs 12 years per saw at your rate. Giving you room here. 12 years out of your 372 and you have had greater than twelve years on the 461.
So In the last 30 years say...how long you been in Biz?
I'll tell you I'v been running 371/372 from 1996 I will contest your math.
It dosen't work!
Seriously what was the chief complaints with 372. Could there have been other deciding factors that you overlooked? Like experience of the personal/ different personal. How long did you use 372's in said business?

That's 694 tanks last year per chainsaw. If you choose to check and contest my math, do it right.

I used the 372XP prominently from 2002-2013. It was the best saw on the market at the time for my application (28" bars, grneral use) I am not bashing it in any way. I am just pointing out that for a crew saw where they don't get cared for quite as well as if they were someone's personal saw they do hold up better in my application than the 372XP. Which makes sense. The design of the 461 is inherently more durable than the 372XP.

So, instead of being nit-picking my response, how about we all just get along and recognize that we all have different experiences with gear. And maybe, since he was asking about how bullet-proof the chainsaw was, you get off your high horse (which I've noticed is hard for you, your user name does include the word "boast") and recognize, the same hard way I did as a guy who loves orange chainsaws, that for once, a competitor put a product to market that was superior in some way to it's competition.

In the grand scheme of things it is a good thing that there are at least 2 companies competing against each other. In theory it should provide better products to us consumers, which for folks who make a living using them is great. I realize I might get roasted for this, and am not intending to start a debate about QC/design functionality between brands.....just looking at the glass as being half full. Appreciate the folks who do these jobs and can depend on these products to provide great services. Cheers

That's 694 tanks last year per chainsaw. If you choose to check and contest my math, do it right.

I used the 372XP prominently from 2002-2013. It was the best saw on the market at the time for my application (28" bars, grneral use) I am not bashing it in any way. I am just pointing out that for a crew saw where they don't get cared for quite as well as if they were someone's personal saw they do hold up better in my application than the 372XP. Which makes sense. The design of the 461 is inherently more durable than the 372XP.

So, instead of being nit-picking my response, how about we all just get along and recognize that we all have different experiences with gear. And maybe, since he was asking about how bullet-proof the chainsaw was, you get off your high horse (which I've noticed is hard for you, your user name does include the word "boast") and recognize, the same hard way I did as a guy who loves orange chainsaws, that for once, a competitor put a product to market that was superior in some way to it's competition.
Your comment right after your figures
{ " nice oxymoron Huh"} is what distracted me from your figures.
So I went off what is worded to me as 694 total tanks.
As follows:
{"Which rounds to 694 tanks through six saws in 9months of use". }
I was contesting your 'math' meaning the time frame of use based how I interpreted your sentence above. Clearly I read your figures then got side tracked.. My bad.
From a business stance, I would agree that you probably have less issues with them.
Personally I wouldn't run those stingy pieces of $hit if my life depended on it.
I'm on and of the trigger thousands of times a day. That includes all the 2 series Husqvarna's that destroyed my hands.
Now IF the 'successor' of the 461 comes with AV mounts I may be the first in line.
The trigger lock, on/off and choke are my complaints with 371//372 xp. I use the 390 side cover and guides and change the guides regularly. Crew guys that slash with 365/ 371 never know enough to change the nylon guides. They really don't think it has a purpose which it really dosen't in its worn state. Running worn out drivers then they can't keep the chain on so they keep tightening the chain and punch out clutch side bearing, crank ect.

What activities does your company do.
six pack fire crew? Slashing for hose and such or are they Fallers? Not completely sure how it works there. Here we will work for a contractor that has contractor Falling status but we have are own company's, gear and personal trucks.
Contractors for Crews are 5 packs with one guy with a basic saw ticket for laying hose and one Danger Tree Assessor (DTA)
Government crews get about 8 months work with training per year.

What activities does your company do.
six pack fire crew? Slashing for hose and such or are they Fallers? Not completely sure how it works there. Here we will work for a contractor that has contractor Falling status but we have are own company's, gear and personal trucks.
Contractors for Crews are 5 packs with one guy with a basic saw ticket for laying hose and one Danger Tree Assessor (DTA)
Government crews get about 8 months work with training per year.

I have a branch in PA's natural gas fields where we do all the site prep work from building in roads and pads to pipe infrastructure, followed by remediation after the frackers go home. I personally run a six man fire crew that's technically called a dozer crew with three cats and three bosses in support units. The bosses all have faller certs so we usually end up doing a lot of saw work. We just got back from the Kansas/Oklahoma border where they had some of the biggest fires in those state's histories.

I feel you on the older Stihls with rubber mounts. I especially hated the 046/460. They were probably the worst "modern" Stihls on vibes, with the 066/660 being a close second and the 044/440 being the least bad, I think.

I have a branch in PA's natural gas fields where we do all the site prep work from building in roads and pads to pipe infrastructure, followed by remediation after the frackers go home. I personally run a six man fire crew that's technically called a dozer crew with three cats and three bosses in support units. The bosses all have faller certs so we usually end up doing a lot of saw work. We just got back from the Kansas/Oklahoma border where they had some of the biggest fires in those state's histories.

I feel you on the older Stihls with rubber mounts. I especially hated the 046/460. They were probably the worst "modern" Stihls on vibes, with the 066/660 being a close second and the 044/440 being the least bad, I think.
I was speaking older Husqvarna's or any rubber mount saw. Some are definitely better. So gas and oil the moving there these days? It crashed here.
I have done a fair bit of G&O. Falling leases and snag Falling pipeline right of ways. Lots of line cutting & snagging (Seismic). G&O have been dead here from a year and a half and may not come back until 2017. The states have produced a lot of oil and natural gas in recent years. I believe they past Russia and Saudi Arabian as the biggest producer of oil not long ago. It will go back and forth.
There is an over abundance of natural gas killing the prices too. Northeastern BC has lots of natural gas. Alberta is all oil.

''The design of the 461 is inherently more durable than the 372XP.''
Just out of curiosity, what design or designs are you seeing that are more durable. Thanks

I was speaking older Husqvarna's or any rubber mount saw. Some are definitely better. So gas and oil the moving there these days? It crashed here.
There is an over abundance of natural gas killing the prices too. Northeastern BC has lots of natural gas. Alberta is all oil.
Oh hell yeah gas is moving up here. We had enough work last season to work at least 72 hour (usually 6x12) workweeks at least from March to October when crappy weather literally froze us out. I had 2 50 ton excavators, 2 336s, 2 D8s, 5 30 ton 6x6 dump trucks and a bunch of smaller stuff running constantly.
I have a feeling the wheels could come off hydrofracking any time now. The powers that be are starting to wise up and see the negative effects. It's some nasty ****. And with Bernie and the progressives going after G&O on more fronts than I can count the US 2016 election might just just be that decider.

Just out of curiosity, what design or designs are you seeing that are more durable. Thanks

there are 3 things more durable. the first is the bottom end, the second is the bottom end, and the third is the bottom end. in that order :D

there are 3 things more durable. the first is the bottom end, the second is the bottom end, and the third is the bottom end. in that order :D

Not to mention the upper plastics, the attchment of the air filter cover, AV mounts (I understand that if the saw isn't abused it isn't a problem, but tell that to a guy who treats it as badly as a landing saw), the flywheel cover... The Husky does have a better designed chain brake and air filter, though.

In terms of the top ends they're both quality pieces. The 372 and 461 are fine saws. The 372 just needs a bit more attention and light handedness than the 461 to keep it going properly. It just works better as a crew saw.

Here's something that is probably going to throw you a curve: The 372XP is my favorite chainsaw, ever.

I would agree the 461 will be more durable in the hands of most grunts. I'll also add the 7900/7910 is and has been a very simple durable platform, and i would rely on them more than any Husqvarna IMHO. I love Husqvarna saws, they just don't have the robustness of the German built saws. In the right hands, yes a good Husqvarna will live a long time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not to mention the upper plastics, the attchment of the air filter cover, AV mounts (I understand that if the saw isn't abused it isn't a problem, but tell that to a guy who treats it as badly as a landing saw), the flywheel cover... The Husky does have a better designed chain brake and air filter, though.

In terms of the top ends they're both quality pieces. The 372 and 461 are fine saws. The 372 just needs a bit more attention and light handedness than the 461 to keep it going properly. It just works better as a crew saw.

Here's something that is probably going to throw you a curve: The 372XP is my favorite chainsaw, ever.
Not really, I'm sure you said that before I recall. The best saw is within the hands of the beholder. Then business is business. I would probably buy them too for a crew. I tried I new one the other day. Lots of built in power. My second to last XT I had the on/off switch, trigger locks break and chokes come off all in the first week. I personally would not buy 6 to put them in the hands of others for these reasons. I'd be pissed off x 6. It's the saw for me though
Oh hell yeah gas is moving up here. We had enough work last season to work at least 72 hour (usually 6x12) workweeks at least from March to October when crappy weather literally froze us out. I had 2 50 ton excavators, 2 336s, 2 D8s, 5 30 ton 6x6 dump trucks and a bunch of smaller stuff running constantly.
I have a feeling the wheels could come off hydrofracking any time now. The powers that be are starting to wise up and see the negative effects. It's some nasty ****. And with Bernie and the progressives going after G&O on more fronts than I can count the US 2016 election might just just be that decider.
when Obama said he was going to go after G&O on the home front; he definitely did that.
Hydraulic fracturing sure uses &
pollutes a lot of water. They make big pond reservoirs in the North. I've been on pipelines 30 miles that were strickly water supply. It's crazy. There is lots of construction to be done here. It's all caped and on hold.

I would agree the 461 will be more durable in the hands of most grunts. I'll also add the 7900/7910 is and has been a very simple durable platform, and i would rely on them more than any Husqvarna IMHO. I love Husqvarna saws, they just don't have the robustness of the German built saws. In the right hands, yes a good Husqvarna will live a long time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
It was much the other way around when I started spacing/thinner in the early 90's
Although in the interior many people used the 034 036 028 044 ,254, 61, 266 then 257, 262 272
But before the 272 it was only the 266 to do the job in coast terrain. The O44 had the right weight but couldn't stand up to the demand. Bottom ends were not good enough for long enough. The clutch side seals would go. In the North by fall time they would freeze up as soon as they shut them off. I eventually bought a 272 and run it a day and tried to get him to take it back because it was stingy on the hands.
He said that's just how the saw is so I took a hundred dollar hit to walk. The 371 were out by then but I didn't want to take a chance on an unproven saw. A couple of window shopping trips to the saw shop later (different saw shop) I married her all burnt out on a hot August night.
20yrs to be. Well I was right, you never buy a saw the first couple of years they come out. It had an air leak..lol it was a very impressive saw

Yes right the saw shop owner was wrong if you can believe it..lol
I have taken a couple of 272's for spins.
There was something not right with that one I took back. Yeah proven saws for sure. People just weren't ready for change. Nobody wanted the 266 time to come to rest. the 272 seemed a little bulky The 371 was so different from any Husqvarna we were scared of it. I loved the 262 Walkerized, but not in coast terrain. I think I beat down about 4 of them. Good old saws, good memories with them. I would love to have another 266/272 hybrid with the K&N filter and blue Eliminator high top again. Along with a pristine 262 ported just for the memories and they would sit on the shelf.

Back