Any chance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This dogwood tree was planted last yr. in the spring(although I'm not totally convinced of the accuracy of the when) I was told by the caretaker.
Did fine all yr. long, then this yr it leafed out fine. 1.5-2 wks ago the leaves shriveled up like the tree was dying. I don't know why. Lack of carb storage??
There is still green in it tho, at base of petiole and scraping the stems w a thumbnail.

'Twas said there was no kind of weed killer sprayed nearby.
We've had decent rainfall. Nobody watering the tree. It's in the cemetery, special tree planted in remembrance of a young boy that died. They wanna save it if it's not too late. Hasn't been mulched around at all...

Anyway, is there any special thing I'm unaware of, that would possibly somehow stimulate its vascular back into action, or is it a done deal.

The few I've seen w spring transplant shock (although this is said to be last years planting), even if there's still green in the stem w wilted leaves, only go on to finish dying in the summer heat.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 13
I usually just come out & say your tree is toast, due to the sensitivity of the memorial tree I will say your Dogwood has gone the way of the earth. When a tree leafs out in the spring & wilts I would first check the trunk & root flare for girdling then the root system for rot.

I usually just come out & say your tree is toast, due to the sensitivity of the memorial tree I will say your Dogwood has gone the way of the earth. When a tree leafs out in the spring & wilts I would first check the trunk & root flare for girdling then the root system for rot.

I had a southern mag that actually did similiar this yr. started to Bud swell and leaf out bam, stopped. All my other ones came out, although one other had some dead, cause of an extra cold dry winter. (Stressed'm all) But the roots were all white and still some green in the upper crown under stem surface. I pulled it after 5-6 days of zero action leafing out or anything at all. Kept roots wet and Put it in 16" deep pea gravel, in desperate hopes of encouraging some kind of fibrous root "action" to possibly 'recessitate' it. Probly crazy and won't help whatever the issue is. Guess I'll see if anything happens tho.(was going to maybe move it this next dormancy anyway.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 10
If a tree has low carbohydrate storage, and depletes all its reserves in the initial spring plush, then leaves don't all come out or the ones that do just shrivel up...is there any known possibility of a way to "jump start" of the trees vascular system at all, if it's still alive? Sucrose around the root area probly won't do anything will it?

If a tree has low carbohydrate storage, and depletes all its reserves in the initial spring plush, then leaves don't all come out or the ones that do just shrivel up...is there any known possibility of a way to "jump start" of the trees vascular system at all, if it's still alive? Sucrose around the root area probly won't do anything will it?

nope. Fertilizing a stressed tree is a very bad thing. Ensure optimum cultural conditions and see what happens.

Back