Any experience with "diamondized" chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Reaction score
Don't worry, this thread is NOT about carbide chain...I read all the previous posts (first 700 or so!) and I know there aren't a lot of fans on this forum.

I found almost nothing, however, about "diamondized" chain...essentially a coating of tungsten carbide to an otherwise normal chain. I've posted a link below...the chain I'm talking about is roughly halfway down the page:

http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Total_Catalog_Pages/Tilton_Special_Saw_Chain_page.html

My saw goes camping with me, and the law of the jungle is that there's no such thing as "clean" firewood where we camp. It's fairly slim pickens, and much of it's dirty. Chains get dull in a hurry, and I bring plenty to change out.

I'd love to not go through chains in such a hurry...has anyone tried this stuff with dirty wood?

TIA.

Baileys

Check out Baileys,they have it.If I remember they only have 3/8 .050If you try it let us know.The little extra expense might be worth it.Sharpening is supposed to be normal.
Ed

We sell it under the name of Inject-A-Sharp. .375 pitch is $0.35 per drive link and the .404 is $0.39 per drive link.

Grande Dog said:
We sell it under the name of Inject-A-Sharp. .375 pitch is $0.35 per drive link and the .404 is $0.39 per drive link.

What's your take on it Grande Dog? Do your customers like it? The forum had virtually nothing on Inject-A-Sharp either.

TIA

I have one customer who buys it and used regularly. he is doing storm cleanup and removing the power poles left behind by the crew. He claims it is good stuff but i personally have never had a chance to use it

I'm wondering how it would work on my mill? Less sharpening time is great.Glad to hear that it is avaliable in 404.
Mark

It keeps it's edge about 2 - 3 times longer than standard chain. The coolest thing about it is there isn't any special tools required to sharpen it. A standard file or grinding wheel will do the job. We gave it the railroad tie test and it kept cutting longer as advertised.

Grande Dog said:
It keeps it's edge about 2 - 3 times longer than standard chain. The coolest thing about it is there isn't any special tools required to sharpen it. A standard file or grinding wheel will do the job. We gave it the railroad tie test and it kept cutting longer as advertised.

Sounds like a winner...I'll give it a try. Thanks GD.

Lakeside53 said:
When you sharpen it, doesn't that removed the "diamondizing" and take it back to normal steel on the cutting edge?

Andy

The "drill-tux" (another trade name for tungsten-carbide,,, I use it on horseshoes) is coated on the outside of the cutter, in place of the hard chrome that dose basically the same thing,,,,,,,, this chain dose look like it would cut slower , but it's not made for regular cutting.

I guess they didn't want to take second place on the hardness scale. However, boron nitride (BN) is harder than diamond, so unwittingly they still chose second place.

ShoerFast said:
Tungsten Carbide is the second hardest thing there is to dimonds, from what I hear?

Must have just picked the name as it sounded better then "tungsten carbideized"?

I think Borazon harder... but its too late tonight to look it up.

I think that's the same suff, isn't it? BN has the same electronic structure as diamond plus the charges on the B+ and N- ions.

Our posts crossed. Borazon is the tradename for BN.

From Wikipedia:

Borazon, a boron nitride allotrope, is the third hardest artificially produced substance, after aggregated diamond nanorods and man-made diamonds, respectively. Borazon is a crystal created by heating equal quantities of boron and nitrogen at temperatures greater than 1800 °C (3300 °F) at 7 GPa (1 million lbf/in²). Borazon is the only substance other than ultrahard fullerites or another diamond that can scratch a diamond. A diamond will also scratch Borazon.

There clearly not using Borazon. Tungsten Carbide has been an industery standerd for years in saw-mills, minning , drilling and digging aplications. My cost has been about $35 a pound, but I'm sure that will go up on Tuesday, again on Thursday about like everything else made out of metal!

Is Borazon avalible or have any trade uses? It seems like they could control the size better then with T/C , as this chain is using T/C as small as I have ever seen it?

attachment.php

looks like this stuff is at least cheap enough to buy a loop to try out...

Latest posts

Back