Anyone have experience with this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering a Rapid Duro (Carbide ) chain for a 360P. The dealer says that dirty wood does not dull this chain and will last along time. Of course it cost $ 170 vs $28. I am cutting alot of downed trees that have dirt. I also am told that it requires a diamond wheel to sharpen it. I don't mind spending the money if it really stays sharp like they say. Any experience with this chain and opinions?

When I first came to AS I found the fact that folks always responded to questions with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" kinda annoying. Well, having been here a while now...

This topic has come up a couple times in the past month. Search or flip back through a couple screens of posts, you'll find your answer.

EDIT: Now providing full-service searching:
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28460
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25911
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25727
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=24559

Personally, since 20" loops cost $12 and 28" loops cost $14 and filing isn't that hard (or grinding, if necessary), I don't see any point going with carbide unless I want to pretend I'm a fireman.

EDIT: Providing an opinion that will hopefully NOT be viewed as useless:
Over the years I have done a lot of cutting of really dirty, sandy, wet wood in context of my volunteer efforts with a couple of nature preserve groups. Much of this work involves removing wood that has washed into log jams following floods. Most of the time the wood is wet, dirty, mixed with gravel, and has junk embedded in it - nails, old fencing, etc. Often times, it exhibits all of these characteristics AND is submerged in water. Prior to the amendment of applicable state environmental laws, we removed these log jams completely; now, we practice "woody debris management" instead, and just open the jams up enough to allow water flow. In both instances, though, the work is filthy and chains ALWAYS require grinding when I get them home. I, too, have contemplated the carbide chain idea, but have always just settled with toting a few extra loops with me and changing them out as necessary. And when I learned that the carbide cutters can become dislodged from the chain, rendering a $1.69/DL chain ruined or, at best, in need of repair, I put the idea to bed for good.

The Inject-A-Sharp chain seems like a better compromise, in my opinion, if normal semi-chisel just isn't cutting it. $.35/DL is much easier to swallow than the price for soldered-on carbide.

That having been said, I think skwerl's got it right.

Last edited:
From now on, every time somebody asks about buying a $200 loop of carbide chain I'm just gonna tell 'em to go for it. Seems whenever I try to talk someone out of it or suggest they look at one of the 300 previous threads on carbide chain, they typically just take offense.

So here it is: Go for it, great stuff and you'll be happy with it.

You know...your correct,,,i should have done a SEARCH like EVERYONE does BEFORE they do a NEW post. Well It always doesn't work out that way... I did do a search after you suggested and see someone else ASKED a question about the same topic and I SEE where the both of you gave a USELESS%#$#$%# opinion also, wait not an opinion,, just some stupid%#@* remark.. If you don't like the ? ,, go somewhere else and WAIST your time READING and Replying. If you can't be helpfull........... well I think you know the rest.

hey dogdad

don't let that pesky little rodent get to you. he's just tired of moving, they keep cutting down his hollow tree and he's moving farther and farther from his winter supply of nuts.;)

skwerl said:
they typically just take offense.

dogdad, there's no reason to jump bad with these guys.......

the fellows on here are a wealth of information.

'puteruser went out of his way to edit his post and make it helpful to you even after your attack. c'mon.

BTW, i purchased one loop of carbide a few years back, i figured it was just the thing for the dirty wet osage orange i cut around here. it was not. it's very slow, vibrated a lot, vibration being the enemy of any carbide cutting tool.

now days, i take a few saws, makes life very easy. 'bout the time one needs refueled, the wet dirty hedge has worked on the saw chain to the point it needs sharpened.

toss it in the truck, bust out another saw, back at it.

rarely even tote gas & bar oil any more.

Cord Arrow...The reason I ask is to get informatiom...hopefully useful information. Yes you are correct in that the edit was helpful. That came after my reply. I myself wouldn't respond to a post if i didn't have good answers or suggestions . But I do thankyou for your reply. Good advice.

For What it is Worth.....

dogdad said:
I am considering a Rapid Duro (Carbide ) chain for a 360P. The dealer says that dirty wood does not dull this chain and will last along time. Of course it cost $ 170 vs $28. I am cutting alot of downed trees that have dirt. I also am told that it requires a diamond wheel to sharpen it. I don't mind spending the money if it really stays sharp like they say. Any experience with this chain and opinions?

I have RAPCO{both RAPCO Brand and Stihl Brand made by RAPCO] and Stihl Made in Switzerland Carbide blade's.

At the current project I am at I requested carbide chainsaw blades and the Company Superintendent order me 10 new blades{Yes, $2,000.00 is blades]

We are cutting CCA 4 X 6 and 12 X 12, hundreds of them and many are also rip cut.

Yes they are worth it.

Try One You will not regret it.

Yes, sharping requires diamond, we just send them out.

Also look at the DIAMONDIZED SAW CHAIN{it is tungsten carbide enbedded] by Total / Tecomec Brand, under SPECIAL APPLICATION SAW CHAIN;

I was Quoted a price of $52.75{for 3/8, 84 link, .050 - Diamondized chain] from a local dealer.

I have never tried them, they{Diamondized chain] can be sharpened with a regular file.

From Total / Tecomec web site;

DK2Cdiamondcutter.jpg

"Diamondization" is a special application of Tungsten Carbide to standard saw chain. Diamondized chain will not chip, crack, or peel in the most severe cutting conditions. It will cut up to five times as much dirty wood per chain, as it holds its edge ten times longer between sharpening than standard chain.

Ideal for any abrasive cutting condition . . . bulldozed logs, railroad ties, sand-embedded bark, etc. Once sharpened with a grinder to remove spillover Tungsten Carbide on the leading edge, Diamondized cutters can be filed effectively with a regular chain saw file"

See URL;
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Total_Catalog_Pages/Tilton_Special_Saw_Chain_page.html

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:
dogdad said:
Cord Arrow...The reason I ask is to get informatiom...hopefully useful information. Yes you are correct in that the edit was helpful. That came after my reply. I myself wouldn't respond to a post if i didn't have good answers or suggestions . But I do thankyou for your reply. Good advice.

So are you saying you want people just not answer when the same exact question has already been asked? I'm sure we could easily do that and just start ignoring it when the same question is asked over and over again.

The reason people tell you to use the search is because your question has already been asked and answered a number of times and we are all sick and tired of reading and answering another thread on the same old, rehashed subject.

The search function is there to provide access to those old questions and answers so we don't have to repeat it over again for 20th or 50th or 100th time. You will get better informatio from the search than your latest rehashed thread, because people are tired of repeating themselves.

Carbide Chain

Here you go, start reading since you can't be bothered to use it yourself, I'll do it for you.

my 2c, to nobody in particular, or everyone. You choose.

1) you don't have to read it
2) you don't have to answer it.

yes, the search function should be used more, but don't assume there is nothing more to say... and if there isn't, then don't say it.

My earlier post wasn't necessarily on 'use the search' but more in the mood of 'nobody wants to hear that carbide chain sucks'. Going way back 2-3-4 years, every thread on carbide chain was some new guy wanting to try it and asking about it, everyone telling him it sucked, and the new guy copping an attitude because 'nobody understands me'. So therefore I just said I was going to tell the newbie exactly what he wanted to hear instead of the truth, and he still copped an attitude.
:sucks:

Lakeside53 said:

yes, the search function should be used more, but don't assume there is nothing more to say... and if there isn't, then don't say it.

Well enough said Lakeside, would be a darned boring forum for me if all we had to read was one or two posts per week of never before asked questions since I most usually skip over the mods for cybersaws and the insiders lore that is of no consequence to me

My solution to this is as follows.

Due to the number of questions that upset our post police and cause all kinds of ill will all further posts shall be forwarded to the site police station for approval BEFORE posting with the exception of;

1. Posts by the moderators:)
2. Posts by the self appointed site police, who by the way are free to chastise at will.
3. Jokes
4. Any member over 500 posts may post at will unless asked to report to police
5. The inner circle may of course discuss any topic at any length no matter how irreverent to saws or sawing.
6. Nekid women with saws pics
7. Fish is except for life and can post anything he wants 'cause he makes me laugh.:blob2:

Joseph said:
I have RAPCO{both RAPCO Brand and Stihl Brand made by RAPCO] and Stihl Made in Switzerland Carbide blade's.

At the current project I am at I requested carbide chainsaw blades and the Company Superintendent order me 10 new blades{Yes, $2,000.00 is blades]

We are cutting CCA 4 X 6 and 12 X 12, hundreds of them and many are also rip cut.

Yes they are worth it.

Try One You will not regret it.

Yes, sharping requires diamond, we just send them out.

Also look at the DIAMONDIZED SAW CHAIN{it is tungsten carbide enbedded] by Total / Tecomec Brand, under SPECIAL APPLICATION SAW CHAIN;

I was Quoted a price of $52.75{for 3/8, 84 link, .050 - Diamondized chain] from a local dealer.

I have never tried them, they{Diamondized chain] can be sharpened with a regular file.

From Total / Tecomec web site;

DK2Cdiamondcutter.jpg

"Diamondization" is a special application of Tungsten Carbide to standard saw chain. Diamondized chain will not chip, crack, or peel in the most severe cutting conditions. It will cut up to five times as much dirty wood per chain, as it holds its edge ten times longer between sharpening than standard chain.

Ideal for any abrasive cutting condition . . . bulldozed logs, railroad ties, sand-embedded bark, etc. Once sharpened with a grinder to remove spillover Tungsten Carbide on the leading edge, Diamondized cutters can be filed effectively with a regular chain saw file"

See URL;
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Total_Catalog_Pages/Tilton_Special_Saw_Chain_page.html

Regards

Joseph

Personally I consider advice from anyone who calls chainsaw chain loops blades highly suspect.:angel:

Last edited:
TimberPig said:
So are you saying you want people just not answer when the same exact question has already been asked? I'm sure we could easily do that and just start ignoring it when the same question is asked over and over again.

The reason people tell you to use the search is because your question has already been asked and answered a number of times and we are all sick and tired of reading and answering another thread on the same old, rehashed subject.

The search function is there to provide access to those old questions and answers so we don't have to repeat it over again for 20th or 50th or 100th time. You will get better informatio from the search than your latest rehashed thread, because people are tired of repeating themselves.

Carbide Chain

Here you go, start reading since you can't be bothered to use it yourself, I'll do it for you.

I would been on the defesive too after reading your response. Nice attitude.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
I would been on the defesive too after reading your response. Nice attitude.

Gary
Glad you like it. If you will notice, I didn't respond until after he had already decided to lash out becuase he wasn't getting new repsonses to his version of the same question. So how did I cause his poor repsonse and inability to read try a search and then ask for clarification? There is nothing wrong with new questions on the topic, but when they are the same old questions that have already been answered, it isn't very useful or productive. I guess from now on instead of taking the time to respond when someone asks a question that has already been asked, I will just let them sit there wondering why no one is responding to their rehashed question.

TimberPig said:
Glad you like it. If you will notice, I didn't respond until after he had already decided to lash out becuase he wasn't getting new repsonses to his version of the same question. So how did I cause his poor repsonse and inability to read try a search and then ask for clarification? There is nothing wrong with new questions on the topic, but when they are the same old questions that have already been answered, it isn't very useful or productive. I guess from now on instead of taking the time to respond when someone asks a question that has already been asked, I will just let them sit there wondering why no one is responding to their rehashed question.

The same old questions do get rehashed here. This just happened to be the first forum I have ever been a part of or posted on. I had no clue what a search was on a forum. I just glanced through the first 3 pages of posts and then asked my question. I'm probably like 75% of the other new posters that have done that. But the standard that comes about on this board with newbs gettin' railed is what actually gets old. Just remember one thing... when you post, your emotion can't be put into key stokes.

After I found the search function, I too reffered new guys on this board to it. I just didn't give them a personal dissertation of why.

Gary

Lakeside53 said:

Well said!

Back