Any good small stoves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a insulated 22' X 12' room attached to my kitchen but it has no heat. It is already set up with a hearth and stove pipe thimble through the roof. We are thinking of making it into another bedroom or office. Last year we just sealed it off, it gets real cold in there if I keep the door to the kitchen shut. With a big stove it would get too hot in there to sleep, but with nobody sleeping in there it will help heat my house from the opposite end of the house from my living room stove. Does anyone make a good efficient small wood stove that would be feasible for a large bedroom / office?

Here's another question when wood stove manufactures talk about it being able to heat so many square feet, shouldn't they mean cubic feet? How do they know how tall your ceiling is?

Last edited:
That is a small area,

Them Volzgangs are pretty cheap and should do the job.

Woodstock make some darn fine stoves, but they are works of art, so you will pay more.

Standard height of ceiling are 8 foot. Anyways the extra btus it takes to heat the air only comes in on the initial warm up. After that you just have to keep up with the heat loss to hold the room at its temperature. So I would venture a guess that insulation and windows throw more off in sizing a heat source than height of the room.

By the way her is an epa list of stove. You can go through it and look for low btu stoves. Vermont castings rates there aspen as good for up to 600 sqft and 18000 btus. And the epa list lists it as 9100 to 18000 btus. So probably want to look for something in that range.

http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Last edited:
Forget any cheap stoves like the V-----, or the VC Aspen.

The most used small stove out there is the Jotul 602, older, pre-EPA model. Look for it in green porcelain (pretty and easy to clean). Over the years we've had 3: one to heat a 12'x15' uninsulated shop, another for a 8'x8' sauna, another for a back room like yours away from other stoves at one end of a home. Waterford, Lange, and Morso made similar stoves.

The 602 is a "cigarette burn" front to rear, front load, takes shorter < 14" sticks with one simple, rotary air control. In the firebox are 2 side plates ( easily replaced by cutting 1/4" steel ) and a top baffle that often warps (also replaceable). Just look for exterior cracks. Great wood stove. Sells in the mid $100's IF in good shape.

The 602 often comes on Craigslist.

+1 on the Jotul 602

My Mom and Dad heated about 750 sq ft with one for 25 years. They are amazing at the heat they throw with just a little wood. The only issue, and it's likely with any stove this size, is the firebox being as small as it is means it will only produce productive heat for about 5 hours, but will kick back off after 7 or 8 with some kindling.

Take Care

The small Jotul stoves are very hard to beat. The 602 has a very long and good track record. The F 100 and #3 are also nice, but a little larger.

We have the 118 CB in our 1200 sq foot house and love it.

Barrel stove?

Did you ever see one of those things? You can build one with a 30 gallon barrel instead of the 55. You should be able to construct the whole dang thing, bottom stove, top extra heat chamber barrel, plus the barrels, and come in under one hundred or dang close to it. I have seen a few examples of the 55s and they can throw some heat! Building it with the smaller barrels should be more than adequate for your needs.

If it has to look like a man made stove..whatever is cheapest on your local craigslist right now.....

Here's another thought..bud of mine built a weekend cabin from one of those big backyard pre made "barns". It came out real dang slick actually, and he powered it with solar panels. For a wood heater, he found some cabin heater, designed for small cabins/camping/big tents. I think they are called "shepherd's stoves". It heats, plus you can cook on them, and they are cheap, and look pretty neat. I don't remember his exact make and model though. Let me see if I can find one...

ya, google has a lot of different ones, search shepherd stove or camping stove, lot of them out there

I stayed in a cabin that had one of those double barrel stoves. It put out a lot of heat actually, but I'm betting it wasn't so efficient. Plus the barrels rot out pretty quick.

Might be a little awkward in a bedroom.......

How about a 200,000 BTU pot belly stove?

They aren't all that big, a touch bigger in size than a kerosene heater and give off darn good amounts of heat...plus a lot safer than kerosene burner, IMO

Barrel stove in a 12x22' room? In a 'Home'? Even built with 30 gal barrels.

Can you spell 'Overkill'? And 'Wood Hog'? LOL :msp_biggrin:

They do work great in a shop, or garage though. But I tend to want something a bit more efficient.

To answer some of your question and help you out.

I detest the Sq Ft rating for wood stoves. It's been around for years and MFG's have used it because customers want it. It's just a guideline. There's too many variables. One stove might cook you out of a 1,000 Sq Ft, while the same stove will not be enough for the same Sq Ft in a different home. Better use the Cu. Ft of the firebox which gives you an indication of how much wood you can put in there.

Brands: Depending on your bias, some people want to stay away from brands made in China. Vogelzang and US Stoves (ironic isnt it?) are made there, so its your decision.

Building Codes wont allow you to install any wood burning appliance in a bedroom. And if the insurance find out you may not have any.

Some people here are suggested non-EPA and Barrel stoves. Barrel stoves are definitely not designed to burn in a home, unless you self insure. Depending on your budget you can get an EPA stove nowadays for approximately what a non-EPA is. EPA stove will give you longer burn, more efficient (less cord wood, more BTU) and very little creosote if any.

At the budget end of things you may want to look at the Century S244 or the Drolet Pyropak. Good quality stoves and excellent warranties. Check out Norther Tools, they have some of the best price around. wood stoves from Northern Tool + Equipment

If you look for an upscale look you may want to try the Enerzone Solution 1.3 Wood stoves : Solution 1.3 Wood Stove of Osburn 900 Wood stoves : 900 stove

The Century S244 is at $559 at Northern Tools. Drolet is about $30 more. The others will retail between $799 to $899.

After that, the sky is the limit. You can look at all cast iron or soap stone stoves. It depends on your budget.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Vogelzang Boxwoods will do, but will go through wood like a raped ape. They get around EPA certification by being classified as a fireplace (not a woodstove) based on the amount of wood they burn per hour.

Mine will be replaced next year by a Jotul F118 (I'll look for a used one in the spring and summer, buy one new if I must before cool weather!). Should cut my wood consumption at least in half.

For your room, I'm thinking the decision point of F3 v. F118 would be what size wood you already burn. The F3 takes 16" logs, the F118 up to 24". I wouldn't want to maintain two different size wood piles.

My entire house, that's heated, is a poorly insulated 650 s.f.

This would be inside my house, insurance Co.'s frown on barrel stoves. It must be a rated stove with a tag on it.

Cute little stove but expensive. Also max BTU is 28,000 so I think the firebox is no bigger than .75 cu ft.

Correction: that line of stoves is made for a tiny tiny space. Think yacht.

Repeat: look for a real small wood stove such as the Jotul 602 and imitators: Lange, Waterford, Morso. Am I repeating myself ? :msp_ohmy:

Back