any input I can get..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if anybody might have some useful tips for me. I worked Florida this year and I was thinking about heading back down south since tree work is slow here. I was thinking about headin to Mississippi Louisiana or Texas. I am licensed and insured but I don't know where the best place to get started is. I am on a very limited budget to get started with. I know sometimes people post misleading info for fun. I ask that this wouldn't be done here being I have a wife and two children to provide for. Any help is most appreciated. Thank you- Brandan Jach

There was some company in Florida who was looking for climbers awhile back. It seemed like they were offering a decent package as far as travel expenses, pay, room/board, etc.

Sorry I can't remember who posted it though. Try searching.

I called them a while back. They musta been super busy because they weren't very good about getting back to me. :confused: I was pumped up to head down there, too!

love
nick

My advice would be to stay home. It's a gamble going down, particularly this late in the game. By the sounds of it you can't afford to lose on that kind of gamble. So stay home, watch your expenses and wait till spring.

Has anyone worked these storms recently with some specific places in mind? Thanks for the tip on NOVO. I worked with them earlier. If anyone knows good areas please post them. Thanks.

we did for two months and I had posted on the trip several times. You may want to search under hurricane and you will find lots of info

I agree with Tree Junkie. TOOO Risky at this point. My experience you got to be there when the wind stops blowing to get in on the emergency work which doesn't require contracts after that it is all contracts and you can't just drive down and see signs saying stop here. It is tons of leg work and I have no idea who to contact or where to start. You could contact the main contractors in the clean up effort but you will wait months to hear back and you will probably not like what you hear.

The only way I would go down is if you have a guarantee on work and even that is skeptical. Try to work for someone who already has this established if you are convinced you need to go down. Or swallow the pride and pick up a job at home that may be in a restaurant or grocery store to get some money coming in.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Here in Orlando the storm work has long since dried up, just regular work now. Some of my associates are much slower than usual since many of their customers had lots of trees cut down last summer.

skwerl said:
Some of my associates are much slower than usual since many of their customers had lots of trees cut down last summer.
The wood ticks have taken away the trees, and the tree guys have no work. Overselling removals is like eating your young.

I am mostly interested in any information pertaining to louisiana, Mississippi or Texas. If no one has any info maybe you know someone who does. Thanks for the help.

like we said,,not much availagle down there.. If there was anything worthwhile down there and we had the contacts; don't you think we would have crews down there.....

Start knockin doors at home....

Lumber,

from the looks of the atlas, your not that far from the 'zone'. Take a couple days since it seems like you have the time, load up a couple saws and gear (just in case) and take a 2-3 day road trip. Youll know when you get there whether youve waisted gas or not. I say take the gear as you might find something to at least pay part of your trip and you may hit a jackpot. Like Junkie said, if we knew it was there, we may be there ourselves.

The longer you sit here and contemplate, the less work there will be.

Back