Any masons in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there anyone who could instruct/point me in the direction of building a block chimmney with a clay flue liner?Is anyone familiar with the Russian or Rumford stoves use in the center of the house? Thanks.

chimney

Good Morning,

I believe Audel still publishes a hard cover book on masonry if you want to attempt this your self.

From what remember of the russian stoves they must have a foundation
in the basement to support the entire width and length of the stove as the entire stove is bricked up from the basement or uses a concrete base foundation under the brick.

I believe the russian stove flue allows you to use steel pipe to a thimble and an exterior flue pipe where you can avoid puting a hole in the roof.

You will save money if you can buy the flue liner, chimey block and cap from a larger supplier of stone and man made pavers.

Having an exterior chimney will save you a lot of problems from water damage around the flue if its flashed properly and checked every year.

the chimney I have is anchored to my home wth a steel tube that has a strap bolted around the block exterior about 12 feet up to reduce wind sway and damage from winds.

You need to check all your local building codes and your insurance coverage first as they may not allow anyone but a qualified mason to build one for you.

I don't specialize in chimmenys I've built 5 of them with clay liners and brick or block. I've done 2 chimmeny liners and a dozen or so of the mineral insulated piping. If your gonna put a stove in the middle of the room I'd use the mineral isulated, it takes up less space and it weights alot less you won't have to worry about beefing up your cieling framing. And upstairs you would be able to sheetrock around it or tuck it to the side of a closet space depending how your house is laid out

Got started with these and one other (can't find it) maybe out of print:

The Forgotten Art of Building a Good Fireplace: The Story of Sir Benjamin Thompson

Masonry Fireplace and Chimney Handbook

search for "Rumford Fireplaces", first hit is pretty good overview

First one built started Labor Day, brick, 20 tile, three flue, rumford; finished in March (nights/weekends). Three code inspections. Draft without a fire will pull newpapers all the way up.

Most fun was laying in the smoke shelf/chamber. Learned a lot.
Base slab is the most important step. make it big. make it thick.

Building a chimney, with oven, smoker, and fireplaces is the only fun part of house restoration.

Rumfords radiate lots of heat (16x16 room), without having a roaring fire.

Find a retired mason who might stop by to give pointers at the crucial points isn't a bad idea.

Go for it !​

Im a 5th generation mason , after 35 years in the trade I have done a few chimneys and fireplaces. I dont think it is a good idea to build this yourself.I have had to repair fireplaces that failed and started fires in walls and floors.

Lots of info on Russian Stoves aka Masonry Heaters here:
www.mha-net.org

Rumford Fireplaces (Not stoves) - interesting stuff. Fireplaces are highly un-efficient, but if you five in and build one, this is the one....
http://www.rumford.com/

+ personally, I wouldn't start bricklaying skills with a chimney in my house - better someone elses, and get insurance buddy! :)

Search the mha site, I believe they have at least part of a chimney building sequence there.

SA

Hi Karl, I don't think I am up to building something like this, but I am sure interested in helping develop a plan for this.

I studied all the sites everyone recommended, plus a few others and I did find something interesting
masonrystove.d.jpg

Hello,
I just had a chimney built at my new house for a wood stove. It has clay flue liners, but the whole thing is made of brick....with mortared joints even in the inside. The masons that did mine have been building them for 40 years and they will not use blocks to set the flue liners in. They say they can crack or explode from the heat from the flue liner.....they say all brick is way much safer. I know everyone has an opinion, but the mason used to do a lot of insurance chimney repair where there had been fires and he said he saw a lot of chimneys that failed do to using blocks and also just filing in with loose brick around the flue liner and not using mortar. Just something to check out or think about !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I've been doing masonry work for about 30 years, and still learn something on almost every job. The last time a guy asked me, "How do you lay bricks?" I told him to get some bricks, some mortar and a trowel, and a lot of beer and figure it out himself. To learn the trade one really needs to be an apprentice for a while, and then you have to really want to do it.

Is there anyone who could instruct/point me in the direction of building a block chimmney with a clay flue liner?Is anyone familiar with the Russian or Rumford stoves use in the center of the house? Thanks.

Mason here..................#722 Concord Lodge!

Back