Any of you guys buy logs for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ive seen in the papers you get 10 cord for $800 bucks. They drop of a truck load of logs and you buck it up and split. I been thinking of doing that, it would save alot of time and some fuel from driving 10 miles to the woods and 10 miles back with an pick up truck load of firewood. Any of you guys do this?
Thanks for the input.

Not sure what the price is around here but Ive been thinking of it too. I dont have enough supply for this year. I wasnt sure what we would be using so cutting wasnt really all that important until it became a little too late. Weve got about a foot and a half of snow here. I dont think my tractor will do to well pulling logs in this stuff.
After spending 4 grand last year to heat the house with LP, I wouldnt mind supplimenting what I can cut with $800 worth of logs.

Never done that, but if it was between free wood and some driving and paying for stuff to come to me, I'd probably go for the free wood assuming I had a big enough truck or trailer to make each trip worthwhile. I can do lots of trips for $800.

We were out in your neck of the woods this past weekend (Curtis Rd.) and it seems like there are standing dead trees everywhere, along every fence. With that much standing dead timber in my backyard, I'd be darned if I'd pay for it to come to me instead!

There are never stupid questions or answers just stupid people:laugh:. Now back to your question yes you can burn a dead tree right after you drop it just as long as it isn't a "bleeder" or soaking wet the best idea is to chop it up and split it and let it sit for a month or so to make sure it is dry.

We have a papermill about 30 miles away. I usually buy a triaxle load in the summer for $500 and it gives me around 10-12 cords. That was until I discovered coal.....:greenchainsaw:
Do it, it is worth the money if you have 1) a good saw and 2) lots of time to cut er up.

80 a cord isn't to bad. They were selling it for 100/cord up here some 85 and I saw one ad for 125/cord all in 10-12 cord loads. You might get it a little cheaper if you got 2 or more loads. Set a load aside for next year or split it with a neighbor. 4K for LP thats got to make you sick(I'm a little queasy myself). If they're selling a true 10 cords and its good firewood size hardwood its probably your best bet. Saves you alot of running around, bending over picking up pieces, throwing pieces, unloading pieces, falling trees, moving brush, tripping over said brush, beating up your truck, you get the idea.

I bought wood this way and I payed 60.00 a cord for it last spring. It was mostly oak 6 to 12 inch dia. I ordered 10 cords and ended up with almost 15 cords. I am sure the price went up but check around because the places the have adds in the paper were a lot higher priced. I would buy it this way again if I needed to but I have 40 acres of hard woods here that I plan on using from now on.

Never done that, but if it was between free wood and some driving and paying for stuff to come to me, I'd probably go for the free wood assuming I had a big enough truck or trailer to make each trip worthwhile. I can do lots of trips for $800.

We were out in your neck of the woods this past weekend (Curtis Rd.) and it seems like there are standing dead trees everywhere, along every fence. With that much standing dead timber in my backyard, I'd be darned if I'd pay for it to come to me instead!

What where you doing on Curtis Rd.

I bought wood this way and I payed 60.00 a cord for it last spring. It was mostly oak 6 to 12 inch dia. I ordered 10 cords and ended up with almost 15 cords. I am sure the price went up but check around because the places the have adds in the paper were a lot higher priced. I would buy it this way again if I needed to but I have 40 acres of hard woods here that I plan on using from now on.

Where did you get the load from?

I bought them from a place between Houghton Lake and Lake City off from M-55. They only had to haul them about 9 or 10 miles to my place. There name is Brisballe I don't know the phone number off hand.

I get a logging truck for $500. I usually get 7-7.5 cord out of it. That's about $70 per cord. I get all good hard woods (beech, oak, sugar maple, hickory) with a very few birch logs mixed in. All good wood but very green.

I would buy enough for two years as has been suggested. Always keep one full year ahead. I was only a half year ahead this year and am paying for it.:(

What where you doing on Curtis Rd.

We delivered a couple trailer loads of firewood to a family that's having a hard go of things right now. Blocked it up and stacked it. Also dropped a standing dead elm and blocked it up. They should be OK on firewood now, even if it is a bit greener than is ideal - greenish wood beats no wood every time!

I'd buy logs, delivered in a minute, it's much more convenient, and just sell off a cord or two to offset the cost some.

Might even get a usable saw log in the mix, yep, 7-10cords, under $100/cord delivered(oak, hard maple, hickory, black locust) in log form, would be worthwhile to us.

I've even called some mills on their culled logs, $100/cord, green, prime hardwoods, can't get them to commit though.

In the meantime, I'll just continue clearing the 1/2mile fenceline across the street.:greenchainsaw:

I can buy it for $120 a cord cut split and delivered. I'm going to buy 30-40 in the next few weeks. I have to buy it 3 cords at a time. I'm geing more customers then I can cut for. I can get it a bit cheaper then that if I go get it. But with fuel it's not worth it.

Scott

another logger tells me you can figure on getting between 5-7 cords on a tri-axle truck load of pulpwood(firewood logs). The mill that I work for gets $475.00 per tri-axle load and if I figure on the low side of 5 cords per truck load, thats $95.00 a cord. That doesnt sound like that great of a deal considering I can buy a cord for $110.00 already split and seasoned.

Here in God's Country, I get a semi load of pine for $1200 and it averages 15 cord. Someone teach me how to post a picture and I'll show you the load.
2TALL in Wyoming

Over here in NY the tree services are constantly trying to get rid of wood (hardwoods). They deliver the hardwoods for free in 12ft lengths, by the trcuckload, and sometimes the wood is even bucked up into rounds already! So free wood, free delivery, free labor to have the wood bucked up....I guess I'm a lucky guy this year!

Ive seen in the papers you get 10 cord for $800 bucks. They drop of a truck load of logs and you buck it up and split. I been thinking of doing that, it would save alot of time and some fuel from driving 10 miles to the woods and 10 miles back with an pick up truck load of firewood. Any of you guys do this?
Thanks for the input.

That price isn't too bad, around here it's about 700. My boss gets his wood that way. The one thing I've noticed is the wood he gets is pretty dirty after being skidded. Really kills the chains quick.

Latest posts

Back