Any of you guys buy logs for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a local excavation company,it appears Im the first person in quite some time that knows how to directional fall trees,so Im slowly weaning them off the practice of pushing trees over with an excavator,and them stumping them.Its much faster,more efficient and WAY easier on me and the saws, if I work ahead of the excavator and drop the trees.
Im thinking of renting truck time from the company to deliver the logs to my house,after I cherry pick,limb,cut to length and mark to set aside.2 cords/10yd dump @$90/hr.The side dumps might do 6 cords @ about double rate,just have to find a spot for him to back up to at both the landing site and my prop.
We use a very large chipper to grind up most of the trees into chips which gets mixed in using a D5 dozer into the final grade.Probably seen a decades worth of personal use firewood go up in well chips,since I started working there in Aug.
There excavator & operator,there trucks,there saws n gas/oil.I pay for truck time minus my hourly wage.Not a bad deal.
ak

That price isn't too bad, around here it's about 700. My boss gets his wood that way. The one thing I've noticed is the wood he gets is pretty dirty after being skidded. Really kills the chains quick.

Yup,10 cord of wood takes a long time to cut when you have to sharpen a chain every other log:bang: :bang:

cant hardly give wood away here in de. andthe mills like to pay 10 to20 dollars a ton .i try to split up alot of it to sell but it's slow right now on sales

The one thing I've noticed is the wood he gets is pretty dirty after being skidded. Really kills the chains quick.

If the wood is in your yard, a power washer works great for getting most/all the dirt off! Heck my sawyer takes most the bark off with his!

Here in God's Country, I get a semi load of pine for $1200 and it averages 15 cord. Someone teach me how to post a picture and I'll show you the load.
2TALL in Wyoming
I know this is an old post but where in WY do you get your wood?

I know this is an old post but where in WY do you get your wood?
My cousin lives in Casper. Wyoming Woods is his business. Most of his business is cut/wrapped for the convenience stores and campgrounds plus smoking wood for the BBQ places. BUT he might be able to help with firewood. If you can't find him I can get you his phone number - PM me for it.

My cousin lives in Casper. Wyoming Woods is his business. Most of his business is cut/wrapped for the convenience stores and campgrounds plus smoking wood for the BBQ places. BUT he might be able to help with firewood. If you can't find him I can get you his phone number - PM me for it.
I appreciate the response. I’m in Utah so Casper is a bit far. I’m looking for someone that could deliver semi loads of logs so that I can process them for firewood. Wonder if he’d know anyone closer to me or at least makes deliveries this way?

I appreciate the response. I’m in Utah so Casper is a bit far. I’m looking for someone that could deliver semi loads of logs so that I can process them for firewood. Wonder if he’d know anyone closer to me or at least makes deliveries this way?
Give him a call, I will send you a private message with his phone number. I just got off the phone with him. Tell him Scott from Indiana gave you his phone number.

I have a dumb question. Can you take down a dead tree and burn it right away?

I have a dumb question. Can you take down a dead tree and burn it right away?
Well you can try to burn just about any wood, but the question is if its safe, productive and economical.
I've heard others' talk about the magical standing dead stuff like ash and some other species being 'Good To Go".
But in actual fact there are no magic trees or special physical attributes to wood that make it ready to burn right off the stump.
It's all about planning.
You fell the tree, block it up, split and stack it in a good spot (off the ground, sunny, windy location).
Then you wait and let mother nature do her thing.
Sometimes it's less time than other times.
My Oaks can take as much as 3 years to season, where some softer species can be ready in a year.
I generally plan for 1-3 years ahead.
Here's 3/4 cord of Red Oak that seasoned 2 years.
P_20190809_103845_1_1.jpg

I get mine by the semi load here.

Attachments

• 20211013_120509.jpg
    20211013_120509.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
My sister in Maine has done log loads for years. Fella lives down the road from her and lays it right next to her shed. Loading 10-cord is an estimate and unless you know the hauler and have some kind of agreement you'll have to accept over/under. I'm not sure what prices she pays. She's frugal and more than capable to run a saw. She also depends on wood stove in case of power outage and to supplement her oil fired boiler system.

This is from a few years ago, before and after.received_204847947578666.jpegreceived_188052722612272.jpeg
She's got the barn doors on the shed now. About half of this gets stored round back of the house where there basement access through covered door.

Back