any one made there own fire place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.northerntool.com/barrel stove kit

16160_400x400.jpg

16160_1_700x700.jpg

Maybe look for a busted stove that still has a good door and flue collar. Get it for scrap iron price maybe. Then just fit it to a barrel. Legs could be the cast legs, or just stack some bricks and blocks up and lay it in place.

I am in the process right now, making a wood stove from an old gas water heater. I am going to have sit sideways and already have it cleaned up and cut to length. I then took some of the scrape pieces and patched all the holes where the inlet and outlet for water were.
Because this was a gas water heater it had a vent up the middle and I did the same there with left over metal from the tank.

I then took the part of the tank that I cut off and will double wall the bottom of the tank with it.

That is as far as I have gotten and plan on using it in a workshop. I will get it done before next winter.

Wranglerstar (Homestead blogger/youtube) built one, here's the vid. He used the posted kit.

I have a friend that built a wood stove from a heavy piece of pipe , got to be 2 ft in diameter plus and about 3 ft. long , with 1/2 inch thick walls. He is a pipe fitter-welder by trade so was able to scrounge everything for it for next to nothing. That thing heats his garage like crazy and never has to worry about it burning through. If I ever run accross a piece of pipe like that I would certainly do one myself.

Wood stove and a fireplace are two different things around here. My dad used to build masonry fireplaces years ago and he was very good at it.

The barrel stove is goin the be the easiest to build. They throw a lot of heat, but are also wood hogs. Personally I'd want one of the better wood stove.

I built one out of 1/2" wall pipe about 30" long. Worked fairly well, but took a long time before it radiated much heat! This in my shop, have a large cheap cast iron box stove now and it throws instant heat almost immediately!

I built one out of a barrel, well actually two of them. The first one the barrel is standing up, it was an open top barrel so that became the bottom, I welded in a stove bottom in the ring bulge (it was a force fit). Then I cut a door in the center and fabbed up some hinges, made a collar for 6" stove pipe at the top. It worked quite well (only thing I would have done differently is I would put some sort of baffle in it) and the only reason I stopped using it is because I cut all my wood a minimum of 24" and they wouldn't quite fit. I didn't feel like cutting two different sizes so the second stove I went with the Volgazang barrel stove kit (the single one) I have always wanted to try one. I put the large bung down on mine and left it open, then I made a piece to cover it with four 1/2" holes in it but I can slide the whole thing out of the way. I tend to need a little more draft than the kit allows.
good luck
dave

Back