Any other Blueberry growers here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Just checking, as there is no real Grower forum on the web to swap info at.

Thanks!
Dingeryote

Try searching vBuleitin + blueberry

I am trying to convince my wife to replace the over grown yews in front of the house with blueberry bushes.

Ive got a few. By no means am I an expert. All I know is my dog likes to pick and eat them herself.

WOW!!!!!

I didn't realize folks planted Bushes for ornamentals or in small plots.:clap: :clap:

I have checked V-bulletin and several dozen Ag sites, and it's a Row crop world out there. Blueberrys are still a specialty crop, so it figures.

I have a small 20 acre operation, 13 acres( around 14,000 bushes) producing, 5 acres of 5 year olds that are coming into production.

Varietys are typical for around here. Blue crop, Jerseys, three rows of Patriots for tinkering, and a row of "Antiques" Darrows and Dixies just for Pies and baking, and family picking.

On good years, we get around 7-8,000 lbs per acre, and now that I have irrigated the whole patch, have gotten 8,600lbs an acre for the last three years.

Anybody tinker with the Miller Foliar or the seaweed based Foliar Fertilizer program???

Japaneese Beetle strategys?
Mine is simple. Provado as soon as July 10th through end of harvest, then Imidan as labeled for a "Nuke" when needed.

New Cultivars?
The Patriots are gaining my respect and interest.
I might fallow 4acres of old Jerseys then replant with the Patriots after a year.

Do you guys direct market, or process market?

Eat more Blueberrys!!!!!!!:)
Dingeryote

What would a good variety be to grow here in NW Va.?....Zone 6

mtfallsmikey,

I have a buddy that lives in your neck of the woods. His soil is pretty much clay with some hard spots.;)

He opened up 6' dia holes 4' deep(Backhoe) and filled them with clay/topsoil/sand/mulch before planting a few Jerseys several years ago.
They seem to be doing fine so far.

Over in Boone county, there are couple small growers running U-Pick operations and if I remember right, they have some Jerseys as well.

Any place Jerseys will do well, Patriots should do well, and you will have fewer issues with Shoestring and a few other diseases.
I'm Liking the Patriots for production. Big berries and LOTS of them.

The biggest issues are drainage and soil Ph.
They like 4.5-5.5 ph and need lots of water, but will not tolerate water standing and soaking the roots.

Bear in mind the roots don't penetrate hard soil very well, so pick a spot where it's loose soil.

Who knows, maybe you can get a Blue revolution going down there.:D

OH!!!
If you are looking for sources for young bushes from cuttings or tissues, Google up "Stokes Blueberrys".

Roger Stokes is a bit pricey for small orders, but he stands behind the starts and they are certified disease free.

Unlike many others, all he does is Blueberrys. No wierd fungus or diseases from other species to deal with.

Best of luck to ya!
Dingeryote

Yah, the big holes would be a necessity...soil is sandstone (shale-type), but breaks up well, slightly acidic...plenty of compost available tho...

Latest posts

Back