Any pics of home made log lifts and what it cost to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making something simple to just make life easier.Want it simple and not too big and to serve as a table while splitting so I don't have to constantly retrieve the pieces that need more splitting that fall to the ground.

Something like this???
186441d1307291146-imag0101-jpg

No not like that one.That splitter looks like it doesn't go horizontal.I thought they all were horizontal and some tilted for vertical splitting.I want to leave mine in the horizontal position and lift the log level with the beam so it just needs to be rolled on and split.A small cylinder to do the lifting is what I want.With really big stuff Ill have to lift the beam to vertical position.

Use the search function and search for ...log lifts or hydraulic log lilts....you'll find hours of reading and pictures of home built lifts. really quite easy to built once you see a few example you get the drift quickly...

good luck

Vertical splitter

Iowa I really like the look of your vertical splitter looks easy to work with and on the back. David

Here's ours...

Well I guess not, can't seem to upload for some reason, keeps telling me that my pictures are "not a valid image file", what ever the hell that means.

But if you search, as I said , you'll find lots of stuff

Sorry, search fuction does not seem to be working either... still some bugs with the new site I guess...

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses.The site was down yesterday so I did a google search and some good stuff came up.They do look simple and very helpful.Not sure if its been used on a splitter that has the option of tilting vertical but still seems like a good ad on just the same.

While his photo shows it vertical-the splitter is originally designed to go both ways, His improvements may be dedicated to his prefferred vertical position, but the idea that he's using a form of winch is whats key here. Whether its a manual boat winch or a little electric 12v winch, its all you need.

I sense since you can't comprehend how "simple" may be cheap and practically efficient, and are fixated on hydraulics, good luck fabricating. Because you apparently don't have either of the those skills.

One, its completely unnecessary to need hydraulics to lift a round to beam height.

Two, unless you have enough money to burn a wet carpet, why would you overlook how simple this can be?

I suspect Iowa aint responded because you bascially insulted him. But then again, what do I know- Im just some dumb engineer from Floriduh that aint got no business in a firewood forum because its so warm down here....

Last edited:
No not like that one.That splitter looks like it doesn't go horizontal.I thought they all were horizontal and some tilted for vertical splitting.I want to leave mine in the horizontal position and lift the log level with the beam so it just needs to be rolled on and split.A small cylinder to do the lifting is what I want.With really big stuff Ill have to lift the beam to vertical position.

Maybe you should use your big Iron Man Arms? Most build a lift because their splitters are dedicated to horizontal only

If yours goes both ways, just organize your rounds for lifting with your arms the small stuff, then tipping- and vertically splitting the stuff your rubber bands can't handle.

While his photo shows it vertical-the splitter is originally designed to go both ways, His improvements may be dedicated to his prefferred vertical position, but the idea that he's using a form of winch is whats key here. Whether its a manual boat winch or a little electric 12v winch, its all you need.

I sense since you can't comprehend how "simple" may be cheap and practically efficient, and are fixated on hydraulics, good luck fabricating. Because you apparently don't have either of the those skills.

One, its completely unnecessary to need hydraulics to lift a round to beam height.

Two, unless you have enough money to burn a wet carpet, why would you overlook how simple this can be?

I suspect Iowa aint responded because you bascially insulted him. But then again, what do I know- Im just some dumb engineer from Floriduh that aint got no business in a firewood forum because its so warm down here....

There's always one of you isn't there.Let me start of by saying my fab skills are just fine thank you.I don't have a cnc machine shop but I get by.And the photo of the vertical splitter doesn't fit my needs sorry if that pisses you off so much and if it was a flipper at one time it isn't now.Don't see how that would even be relevant.And who are you to say what I need or should have?I did look at the cable operated lift and it looked good but I don't want to to ad another power source to work a motor when it already has hydraulics.Why complicate it more?Although I worked for GM for 10 years and know first hand how some (Quote>dumb engineer) can complicate things.If I never have to flip mine again to the vert position again by doing this I wont shed a tear.This thing is heavy and difficult to lift up and I ain't getting younger.If any of you other guys were insulted or felt insulted please let me know because that in no way was my intention and don't feel that I did.

Okay, finally manage to upload some pic's

Splitter can be use Hor. or Vert, Lift and catch table can be changed side to side with just a couple pins, controls can operated from either side with ease. Can be use verticle if your amind, I Ain't

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186544&stc=1&d=1307415702

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186545&stc=1&d=1307415814

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186547&stc=1&d=1307415920

Only cost was lift cylinder about $20 and C0ntrol Valve, about $ 100, metal I had on hand from other projects.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of making something simple to just make life easier.Want it simple and not too big and to serve as a table while splitting so I don't have to constantly retrieve the pieces that need more splitting that fall to the ground.

take a look at some of my past post with my log splittler and lift that i built works great alot of people want me to post a vid on here with it in action just havent found the time to do so...

There's always one of you isn't there.Let me start of by saying my fab skills are just fine thank you.I don't have a cnc machine shop but I get by.And the photo of the vertical splitter doesn't fit my needs sorry if that pisses you off so much and if it was a flipper at one time it isn't now.Don't see how that would even be relevant.And who are you to say what I need or should have?I did look at the cable operated lift and it looked good but I don't want to to ad another power source to work a motor when it already has hydraulics.Why complicate it more?Although I worked for GM for 10 years and know first hand how some (Quote>dumb engineer) can complicate things.If I never have to flip mine again to the vert position again by doing this I wont shed a tear.This thing is heavy and difficult to lift up and I ain't getting younger.If any of you other guys were insulted or felt insulted please let me know because that in no way was my intention and don't feel that I did.

Well, Duh.

A boat winch uses your pencil like arms for motvation. A deep cycle battery will run a 12v winch for two days lifting your 10 inch rounds for you, your biggest problem will be stretching a cord to charge the battery or lifting the battery in and out of the back of your minivan.

BOTH less expensive than adding a valve- replacing one thats already working.

I am NOT a mechanical engineer, but I can spell and punctuate properly.

All you had to do was say was, nice, cool, thanks for the pics.

Yeah, there's always one of me and a hundred of you.

Stop now, go back to lurking, and know that I'm not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. (Thats you.)

Last edited:

Lol. I've just been welding, machining, fabbing for 12-14 yrs. Tool maker by trade. I learned from a darn good engineer. And what I learned was KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I didn't have another cylinder and different valve. So I went the cheap and easy way. It works great too.

Okay, finally manage to upload some pic's.
Thanks for the pics that looks like what I would want to do.You got a good deal on that cyl Ill keep checking for one in that price range if I can find one.Considering Ive seen companies advertising ad on log lifts for 600 plus shipping that was cheep.

take a look at some of my past post with my log splittler and lift that i built works great alot of people want me to post a vid on here with it in action just havent found the time to do so...
I tried to check your prev posts but its not working.Ill check every so often to see if the site gets repaired.Thanks.

Hey Iowa ,
I bet you spent at least 15 bucks for the cable and pulley to operate your lift.:laugh::laugh:

Jerry

Well. Come to think about it now. I was at work when I made the pulley and brackets. So I believe minus the cable and clamps costs I made money! Can't beat that.

Log lift

I went to Northern Hyd. and bought a cylinder about 100.00. I had a valve that I think I paided about 80.00. Hoses bought at tsc around 50. I have a machine shop so I flame cut the archs to match about a 4 to 5 foot dia log. Then I cut some brackets to weld to the beam, made a bushing to mount the archs and cross braces to. I put a plate on top of the archs to protect the cylinder and to provide a extra table while splitting. I had never use a lift before but after finishing this and going out and splitting some big pics I felt like I was cheating. You will not regret spending the money on a good lift after you use it one time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back