Any recomendations: Carbide diamond wheel grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I now use sandvik teeth only and looking to buy a carbide grinder with diamond wheel. Any recommendations? I have been using a regular grinder with green wheel to sharpen Rayco super teeth. I sold that Rayco and strictly run Sandvik. Those Sandvik teeth carbide are much harder and the green wheels just don't cut it. I am not really educated on tool grinders. Can I just buy a 6" diamond wheel and put it on a regular bench grinder? I would think it would be nice to have a table on the grinder to get the right angle for Sandvik teeth.

Oly's Stump,
I'm in the same situation as you. The good news is I think my Sandvik is grinding better than ever but I completely demolished my green wheel. I found these guys this morning and may contact them next week.

Tool & Production

Just get it done

Oly I have 2 Carlton's , a 4400-4 with multi-tip arrangement that works very well as well as a 7015 with a dura disk 2 on it. At the recommendation of a friend .... Kieth at Alpine Machine. I purchased a DeWalt hand held grinder and put a 4.5 inch green wheel on it, I use it every night after work it takes about 10 mins a day on the multi tip wheel and about 25 mins for the sandvik teeth to put a serious sharp on the machine. This was the best investment other than the machines them selves that I ever made. The only drawback is I usually need 3 fully charged battery's to complete the process so in addition to the grinder you will need to buy 2 extra chargers and battery's . I never have to replace dull teeth any more I just wear them out totally or break them before replacement and with super sharp teeth at the beginning of every shift it took the best and made it better. I hope this helps.
Big Jon. Fairbanks Stump Grinders

Oly I have 2 Carlton's , a 4400-4 with multi-tip arrangement that works very well as well as a 7015 with a dura disk 2 on it. At the recommendation of a friend .... Kieth at Alpine Machine. I purchased a DeWalt hand held grinder and put a 4.5 inch green wheel on it, I use it every night after work it takes about 10 mins a day on the multi tip wheel and about 25 mins for the sandvik teeth to put a serious sharp on the machine. This was the best investment other than the machines them selves that I ever made. The only drawback is I usually need 3 fully charged battery's to complete the process so in addition to the grinder you will need to buy 2 extra chargers and battery's . I never have to replace dull teeth any more I just wear them out totally or break them before replacement and with super sharp teeth at the beginning of every shift it took the best and made it better. I hope this helps.
Big Jon. Fairbanks Stump Grinders

I do the same thing. the best part of this is you dont need to take the teeth off! We do ours once a week.

Not sure, but I bought the 4.5" diamond wheel from Keith with my Alpine Magnum about 3 years ago, think it was about $135. Seemed expensive, but been using it for the Alpine since then, hardly shows any wear, so well worth it. Not sure if they can be sourced other places at a better price or not.

Stumper63

Green wheels

Where do you get the 4.5 inch green wheels ? How thick are they? I have the DeWalt grinder set up with several batteries and two chargers so that would be great to be able to touch them up on the machine.
I have the carlton 4012 with a sandvick wheel and the 33 hp Kubota. I wish there was somewhere I could get teeth, besides the dealer.
thanks

I am not looking for a diamond wheel just the green wheel. It says on the recomendation of keith from Alpine. I went to thier website and saw nothing about the wheels, unless I was at the wrong address.:bang:

You need to call him directly he doesn't market them directly he just resells them I don't know any where else to buy them and I've never seen any thing that works as well as they do! Get his phone number off the website!

If you guys are going through so many batteries why dont you just get a corded grinder? DO they not make the size you need or something? I mean if youre in the field I understand but it sounds like you could just do this at the shop when you get home.

I have a harbor freight corded grinder, I wonder if the wheel from keith would go on mine.... I run a 7015 w/ sanvik damn teeth are way to expensive

Your corded grinder will be fine

I just prefer the cordless because it allows me to touch up the teeth multiple times in a day. If you let the teeth get to the point where they are nearly round on the end 3 things happen and all are bad 1) youre production ie amount of inches per hour you can grind is drastically reduced! 2) you put exorbitant stress on the drive train because rather than chipping the stump you are pulverizing/beating it apart. 3) it takes a lot longer to sharpen an excessively dull tooth and you may find it cost prohibitive to sharpen it because you have to grind 1/3 of the tooth away just to get an edge back.

..... And as to cost on sandvic teeth you are correct they are fairly costly but look what you get! 4 times the operation per tooth based on the 1/2 inch shank comparison. 3. Times the carbide! And all that for 2 times the cost if you buy them one at a time! Less if you buy 100 or more!

The green wheel will fit any grinder corded or not that is set up for a 4 1/2 inch disk. I think that means a 5/8s arbor with an adapter?

take a look at Enco Tool they have a reasonably priced wet carbide grinder, I think it uses a 5" diamond wheel. The Grinder is on sale and the diamond wheel is extra, but after you buy it you can sharpen a whole lot of teeth.

Wet makes a huge mess

A wet grinder is a mess and by far the wrong application for sharpening while on the machine a dry green wheel with a ceramic cleaner for the wheel is the best way by far!

Latest posts

Back