Any thoughts on how to put this tree safely on the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... If it's caught in other trees, then I would just start cutting it... trying to pay attention to where the stress is in the tree - don't want it to slap you silly. Looks like you can pretty much let it fall wherever. If it's still standing once it's cut... try to pull the bottom out.

If I thought I could girdle it safely that's what I would do. Let it stand and dry and hope it comes down on it's own.

I'd climb and tie into the tree next to it and piece it out. Paying careful attention to stress and pressure

If it needs to come down right away here's what I would do.
1) Don't try it alone, go after it with a wood cutting buddy.
2) if he says it's not worth it , it's NOT. Better your pride gets hurt than you.
3) It IS going to barber chair when you cut it.(it already has) Can you get to it with a tractor or truck to pull it down or at least help pull it out of the tangle? Being tangled at the top may be to your advantage to keep it from falling violently.
4) Wrap a log chain 2 feet and 6-8 feet above where you plan to cut.
5) It looks like a heavy leaner cut accordingly.
6)Listen...If you hear pops or cracking at any point making the notch or back-cut...Bail.

It doesn't appear to me to be enough good wood to be worth the risk. Listen to your gut feeling. We are born with instincts to protect us from harm and not following them is a sure-fire way to strengthen the gene pool.

Barber chair won't hurt anything... as long as you keep you and you equipment out of the way.

Wow thats some poor advice right there....... Really?

Thats a dangerous tree to take down without the help of equipment. Split in a spiral like that , it will want to pinch the saw from both sides of the cut. Tall skinny ash tree makes it even worse.

Not enough holding wood to notch it, swing it away from the other tree so its going over just as it leans.

I would try to get a snap cut made at the bottom, if you can get in from both sides enough to overlap. Then get backhoe, or dozer and pull it off the stump. Even if it falls its going to hang up in that crotch , going to have to pull it out anyways.

Even better idea is to post your pics on craigs list and have some "experts" come out and take it down for free.........:bang::bang:

Well... If it's caught in other trees, then I would just start cutting it... trying to pay attention to where the stress is in the tree - don't want it to slap you silly. Looks like you can pretty much let it fall wherever. If it's still standing once it's cut... try to pull the bottom out.

Thats a good way to die!

You can't even possibly give advice without standing there to see every angle, you need to see a lot more than just what you can see in the pic.

You can't even possibly give advice without standing there to see every angle, you need to see a lot more than just what you can see in the pic.

I agree...

And I'm not saying to go in there saws blazing. Just to use some caution and get it done...

Good candidate for a bore cut from what I see, but still tricky. I'd advise you to get someone experienced with that type of cutting if you're not sure, barber chairs are a big deal... this guy found out....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2YAf61zz5VU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barber chair won't hurt anything... as long as you keep you and you equipment out of the way.

Oh? Do you think 'chairs give you a ten second warning or something? They happen in the blink of an eye. And they don't always 'chair straight back either...they can slab out to either side...again in the blink of an eye. Little trees like the OP is asking about can hurt you just as quick and just as bad as a big one.

You can lessen the chances of a barber chair by using special cuts but they'll vary in their use and their dimension with each tree.

There's no cut that will absolutely prevent a 'chair every time but you can lessen the chances by knowing what you're doing before you tackle one...or before you offer advice to others.

If you're not real experienced, the best advice so far is to wait for Mother Nature to take care of it. Doesn't look like it's in an area where it's a danger to people.

I've left trees like that before, almost painful to see em standing there, "mocking you", but there's sweet revenge waiting the day a windstorm tips it over for ya.

As Dingeryote says, Stay Safe!

Good candidate for a bore cut from what I see, but still tricky. I'd advise you to get someone experienced with that type of cutting if you're not sure, barber chairs are a big deal... this guy found out....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2YAf61zz5VU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thats one way to split a truck load of firewood without an axe :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back