Anybody burn Bay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I tried it once in desparation one winter when the wood ran out. The Bay wasn't well seasoned, and smoked and sputtered and STANK. But is it an ok wood if dry? I'm helping a friend take down a bunch of Bays and would hate to see it go to waste otherwise. Prolly useful for evening fires when I'm around to constantly feed it?

It is probably California Laurel. Umbellularia californica
These get mixed up for true Bay trees. A lot of people still use the California laurel leaves for seasoning soups/stews.

Bay burns fine. It is a softer shorter burning wood compared to oak or madrone. Don't throw it away, but people don't look for bay as a fire wood.

Right on, fellow Santa Cruz Mountain Guy... Can't even find Madrone on firewood BTU ratings chart. Madrone is GREAT!! Virtually no ash to scoop after days of burning, hot fire, and only need the Oak for overnight.

Wish there was a more comprehensive BTU/species chart in some website that showed many many types of wood instead of the usual twenty or so.

Latest posts

Back