Anybody ever use one of these splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct greenman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Found these Powerhorse splitters on Northern tool. They split on both strokes and customer reviews are all excellent. Anybody ever use or know anything about these splitters. Price is not bad $999.

11571_lg.jpg

IIRC, they were discussed a while back. I don't recall what was said, though. Give a search a try...

A friend owns an equipment rental business and they have two of them. I used one about 4 years ago and they work great. Not the best for big wood, but definitely efficient and there isn't any waiting on the ram like with most hydraulic units. I personally like to split vertically so I can sit down and so I don't have to lift the wood, but if I had to have or preferred to split horizontally that splitter would be second or third choice next to a Super Splitter or Timberwolf. It certainly has a great price point compared to my other two!

A friend owns an equipment rental business and they have two of them. I used one about 4 years ago and they work great. Not the best for big wood, but definitely efficient and there isn't any waiting on the ram like with most hydraulic units. I personally like to split vertically so I can sit down and so I don't have to lift the wood, but if I had to have or preferred to split horizontally that splitter would be second or third choice next to a Super Splitter or Timberwolf. It certainly has a great price point compared to my other two!

Sit and split :cheers:

I have heard that most of the machine is made in the USA. I am tired of crap made in other country's and the china sucks shirt I will take an XL please.:)

I was thinking of getting some T shirts made, they would say " CHINA SUCKS!" I really am thinking about it.

I hear ya. I appreciate the Chinese for their shameless willingness to reverse-engineer damned near anything, but not for what this has done to our domestic production capacity and our consumption habits...

< /rant >

Just say NO to Chinese crap. The knock-off Honda engine would be reason enough to skip it.

Funny that you mention that. One has a honda 10.5 horse from an old powerwasher and the other has a 5.5 briggs. He has mentioned in the past that anything with an engine on it will have a catastrophic engine failure very prematurely. People just don't give a crap when it's a rental! Funny how the engines stick in my mind like that for 4 years, but I remember picking out which splitter I wanted to use...who would take a 5.5 horse over a 10.5? Granted, everything else is the same including the pump so they probably have the same splitting force, but no replacement for dispacement, right? I don't know what brand they are, I assumed they were the same brand as pictured because they are blue and gray as well, but they might be from a different manufacturer. That would be somewhat hard to believe though, because I see very few splitters on the market that split both ways.

As far as durability, I can't say. I used one for a weekend and had no problems. I did notice some non-factory welds that were certainly repairs along the way, but just about everything that I own (and anything a rental company owns I would imagine) that is metal has a weld or two on it from a repair or modification.

As I said previously, I don't think they are the most powerfull splitter out there, but the blade seems to slice through the wood instead of using brute force and the efficiency of splitting both ways is really nice.

Sit and split :cheers:

I know a few guys that give me a hard time about splitting vertically as their preference is horizontal with a table and a tractor bucket. But now that I'm, well, 30 + years (ouch, mid-thirties) of age, 6'6" with a problematic back, sitting works the best for me. I do it on my paved drive using a padded stool with wheels and cup holder. I drop the rounds with the tractor and roll them to the splitter. It's nice not having to stand for a long time and it's also very nice not having to lift any large rounds.

I would change my tune a little if I had a Super Splitter though!

Latest posts

Back