Anybody scrounge from the powerline cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2910

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
They seem to be running wild this year... In years past, there were nothing but chips after they finished. This year they are clear-cutting swaths as they go down the road--- rounds laying EVERYWHERE!

Lets hear your thoughts... Who grabs & runs, who knocks on the adjacent homeowner's door & asks permission, who tries to get a working relationship going w/ the crew foreman?

They seem to be running wild this year... In years past, there were nothing but chips after they finished. This year they are clear-cutting swaths as they go down the road--- rounds laying EVERYWHERE!

Lets hear your thoughts... Who grabs & runs, who knocks on the adjacent homeowner's door & asks permission, who tries to get a working relationship going w/ the crew foreman?

--I haven't seen them doing any major cutting around here. I think all the storms and tornadoes the last few years have knocked over all the marginal trees and limbs.

There are still zillions of trees down all over. Most of the closeby yard trees are cleared up now, but I bet just aways back in everyone's woodlots there are trees and big limbs down a-plenty. I know I have barely made a dent in what is here for storm blowdowns. Heck, I got half a big oak tree right across the street the guy gave me more than a year ago and still haven't gotten to that one yet.

I would think that would be a good source though, if they are going wild in your area.

--I haven't seen them doing any major cutting around here. I think all the storms and tornadoes the last few years have knocked over all the marginal trees and limbs.

There are still zillions of trees down all over. Most of the closeby yard trees are cleared up now, but I bet just aways back in everyone's woodlots there are trees and big limbs down a-plenty. I know I have barely made a dent in what is here for storm blowdowns. Heck, I got half a big oak tree right across the street the guy gave me more than a year ago and still haven't gotten to that one yet.

I would think that would be a good source though, if they are going wild in your area.

Irene pretty much missed us, the October "snow storm" was a joke. Not a lot laying around like that (storm damage) that I've seen. I'm in good shape--- 2 years ahead, 3 years ahead if I decided not to sell any, but Locust laying beside the road already cut? Rounds laying in a ditch next to a corn field are a no-brainer, but what I'm seeing lately is along side county & state roads that lead to yuppie subdivisions of rich-people houses. I'm fairly certain most of them couldn't tell Locust from Tulip Poplar.

Plat map, or talk to neighbors to find out who owns it. A homeowner shouldn't have to put up "No Trespassing" signs to keep people off and respectful of the property.

Bingo!

Someone (person, farm, business, township, city, etc.) owns the land. It may take a little legwork to get permission, but it's the right thing to do here.

Steve, I skipped most of the reply's, but I live in MD too, and I think I can give the scoop on all of the cutting. In years past all the utillites did was trim the brush and branches with in a few feet of the wires. My brother in law is an electrician with Montgomery county, and he told me that after that big storm a year or so ago where power was out for over a week in a lot of places, the power companies got smacked with a multi million dollar fine for not properly maintaining the clearences. So, after shelling out the big bucks for the fines, they cut down any and all trees near the wires. They went through our way before Christmas and left lots of good wood. The stuff around our way looked like they put an 18" tape on it cause it was all cut dead nuts even. I work for UPS and that was our busy time of year and I never got so much as a stick of wood from the clearing. I'm also lucky my cousin is in the tree business so I can get all the wood I want free. All of the wood was left in the county right of way and was up for grabs. If I saw wood stacked in a yard, I would asume the home owner either got it or had the tree guys stack it for them, please don't take that, Joe.

Just to clarify, I wasn't considering taking anything from someone's yard. What caught my eye yesterday was rounds laying where they fell in the right of way. I'm sure the state of Maryland (broke as it is) will NOT be switching it's offices over to wood heat. Therefore, I don't expect to see them out gathering wood. Seems like a waste to just let it rot.

Steve, I skipped most of the reply's, but I live in MD too, and I think I can give the scoop on all of the cutting. In years past all the utillites did was trim the brush and branches with in a few feet of the wires. My brother in law is an electrician with Montgomery county, and he told me that after that big storm a year or so ago where power was out for over a week in a lot of places, the power companies got smacked with a multi million dollar fine for not properly maintaining the clearences. So, after shelling out the big bucks for the fines, they cut down any and all trees near the wires.

Thanx for the insight

Just to clarify, I wasn't considering taking anything from someone's yard. What caught my eye yesterday was rounds laying where they fell in the right of way. I'm sure the state of Maryland (broke as it is) will NOT be switching it's offices over to wood heat. Therefore, I don't expect to see them out gathering wood. Seems like a waste to just let it rot.

I can't speak for MD, but here in WI, it's pretty straightforward. I own the land to the centerline of the road, and under any overhead lines. The state/utility has an easement (right of way) that allows them to maintain their road/line etc. This means they can cut back trees, etc., as needed. HOWEVER, the tree is still my property, for me to do with as I see fit. The landowner has the option to give it away, try to sell it, use it, let it rot, let the power co chip it, etc. Get permission.

As mentioned above, a county plat book listing property owners is a handy resource, not only for firewood scrounging, but for access to hunting/fishing spots, etc. Well worth the $30 or so they go for.

Just pick up the phone and start making calls and ask them to hook you up with the right people that can give you a yes or no on permission to take the wood; call your local township, city, parks office and tell them you see wood laying around (give them the area it is in) and ask who do I talk to in order to get permission to take it if it's available.

If you do get permission to take it, write down the date and time you called and the person's name that you spoke to-this way if someone wants to stick their nose in your business you can show them the info and that you have permission.

Have done this many times and most times was granted the permission to take tons of wood.

I can't speak for MD, but here in WI, it's pretty straightforward. I own the land to the centerline of the road, and under any overhead lines. The state/utility has an easement (right of way) that allows them to maintain their road/line etc. This means they can cut back trees, etc., as needed. HOWEVER, the tree is still my property, for me to do with as I see fit. The landowner has the option to give it away, try to sell it, use it, let it rot, let the power co chip it, etc. Get permission.

:agree2:

Same here in PA.

Tree doing the same thing here in NH. Me and the neighbor got about 8 cord each, all oak, ash hickory and locust. We got permission from the home owners. Only 2 people said no. 1 guy gave us about 15 standing dead ash trees to be taken this fall. I did have a few people stop[ and ask if it was a free for all wood. Told them that I had permission to take the wood, so they left. I also talked to big orange and the cop on traffic duty. Both said that they didn't care what happened to it, and that it was not the property of anyone. If it was left there it means power company abandoned there right to it. Cop said it was a lot like if someone left a bike on the side of the road, its on someones property but its not theres. Thats just what I was told. I get permission to be on the safe side. I don't like to be yelled at or shot at. And it could lead to another wood lead.

A homeowner shouldn't have to put up "No Trespassing" signs to keep people off and respectful of the property.

I agree, they shouldn't, but evidently they do... I've seen piles of rounds in front yards w/ everything from "no trespassing" signs to "not for sale" signs.

Guess that's the flip-side of the Craigslist laughs posts offering a free pile of sticks--- One is "please haul away my crap for free", the other is " don't come on my property & steal my wood".

Both ask some take some.Public park or along city or county road take.Homes ask.Buy cutting crew beer for the good scores Whole tree jobs.

As mentioned above, a county plat book listing property owners is a handy resource, not only for firewood scrounging, but for access to hunting/fishing spots, etc. Well worth the $30 or so they go for.

Even in our poor and podunk county we have the plat maps online through each counties webpage. Nice, "free", and up to for the most part up to date.

Even in our poor and podunk county we have the plat maps online through each counties webpage. Nice, "free", and up to for the most part up to date.

Yeah, I forget about that most of the time. Ours is buried pretty deep in the county website, but a google of "Your County, State GIS" might help find it. There's a lot more information on ours than just property owners. You can see soil types, zoning stuff, property tax bills, you name it.

I still recommend the book. Mine stays behind the seat of the truck, and it's there when the internet isn't, which is often in the northern half of my county. P-poor cell reception up there.

Latest posts

Back