anybody sell firewood on the side? i'm talkin small timers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We sold just shy of 100 cords this winter. I'm a contractor but the building is non existent. Selling firewood got me through this winter and though it was the hardest I've ever worked for the least amount of money I've made, for some reason I loved doing it. And as a result, I've ended up with 2 dump trailers, one big one 3-cord size for pick up and a small 1-cord size one for deliverey 2 log splitters and a couple chinsaws. I'm alrteady stocking up for next year and hope to have 100 cords split and ready for sale by end of September. Next on my list is a big truck to haul.

You sound a lot like me,I have sold firewood on the side for years,but got layed off last year so i did it full time ,i sold just over 100 cords,bought 8 new saws two splitters and 3 trailers, i have already cut 140 trees for next year,and probably have 50 cords split,i intend to advertise heavy next year, i love getting out cutting and splitting wood ,i think it is does help the stress, good luck :greenchainsaw:

no dumps or conveyors, around here they get 65.00 to 95.00 a 1/2 cord,i could have sold more but i just couldnt keep up,so i am cutting for next year right now,i have dropped about 75 trees and still another 40 or 50 in line before i move tp another 20 acre bottom,i do have a back hoe and a newholland 3950 with a front loader,i cut and limb the trees and pull them up on the deck and cut them up

Key principle of micro economics, a rise is demand with a constant supply commands a rise in price. If you're maxing out your resources and the orders just keep coming, eek that price up a little. It's not price-gouging, just good business. They will give it. If you were teetering at a price hedge you would no way be selling as much wood as you say you are. I don't like to lost customers at all but if you raise the price $10 a 1/2 cord each year for the next two years, lose 6 customers but still sell out, you know how much money you lost? $0. on 50 cords/year you will actually be $3,000
ahead.

Also- at first you customers were willing to take a chance at the price you had out there without knowing a thing about you or your product. Now they know they are getting quality wood and like your service. Now that the gamble is over, paying a little more shouldn't hurt them that bad. You have to maximize profit and that doesn't only mean cut your costs and sell more, but also find get as high up in your allowable price range that you can.. this is hard work!!!!!

Drying chunks...

I know this is going to seem funny coming from someone who thinks they have such sound business principles.. but that's about all I've got, I'm still trying to learn about the actual wood work..

But- my question is how well does wood season when it's in chunks? Like say if I only have time to go cut up and log and dump it off at the homestead and plan to split it at the end of the summer? I have layed all of them on their bark so the wood grain is off the ground will get air, and they are out in the wide open sun (90-100 degree summers here in So. Illinois). It only took about a week to have some big checks in the slab so I guess it's drying.. what do you think?

Also- I am looking into hauling some cherries that were given to me for firewood to the sawmill instead. What's an easy way to get these on a trailer? My trailer has raised fenders so i can't ramp them up over the sides. I can fit a winch on the front but how do I get them up and over the back end of the trailer? I'm working with very limited equipment here..

I think your competitors are screwing with you.

i sell firewood on the side to supplement my income. i've done pretty well this year. i've brought in enough to pay for my saws and the pickup i use as my work truck. and all the above has also heated my home which is a nice savings. what i'm wondering about is customer related. the people that actually buy wood from me are absolutely delighted with the price and product i sell. but two out of every five calls i get are people that practically step on me telling me my price is too high. laughing at me like.

when they haggle,every amount they go down from your original price,you should go up that amount.usually stops haggling in its tracks.

stick to your price and your guns.you'll be fine.eventually you will get a good rep.it's not overnight.

I sell 20-30 cords a year.

This is what I sell as a cord for $225.I will do $200 if they are in my town. Most people say they didn't order that much.They only wanted a cord. Most also call back and say they can actually burn it.

I DO NOT stack.

I do sell half cords.

Any lip about it,I tell them not to buy my wood.

Last edited:
I know this is going to seem funny coming from someone who thinks they have such sound business principles.. but that's about all I've got, I'm still trying to learn about the actual wood work..

But- my question is how well does wood season when it's in chunks? Like say if I only have time to go cut up and log and dump it off at the homestead and plan to split it at the end of the summer? I have layed all of them on their bark so the wood grain is off the ground will get air, and they are out in the wide open sun (90-100 degree summers here in So. Illinois). It only took about a week to have some big checks in the slab so I guess it's drying.. what do you think?

it seasons just about as well as being split,depending on species of wood.You will get faster drying times being split, but if you are pressed for time then rounds do pretty good.Just make sure you keep the grain out of the ground, and stack em for better drying time.

Also- I am looking into hauling some cherries that were given to me for firewood to the sawmill instead. What's an easy way to get these on a trailer? My trailer has raised fenders so i can't ramp them up over the sides. I can fit a winch on the front but how do I get them up and over the back end of the trailer? I'm working with very limited equipment here..

A ramp doesnt have to be anything fancy,drop a couple of 2x12s on the back and if you have a remote for your winch stand at the back and hold your toe against the end of the board.I did that for some time before I found a metal cart that Home Depot threw out because the wheels broke.The kind that you use for hauling your bags of concrete out to the truck at the store.Diamond plate and very sturdy.Cut the broken wheels off, welded a piece of angle iron to one end to hook on the back of the frame of the trailer, and its a very wide and sturdy ramp.Even drove my buddies tractor on to the trailer using two of these ramps. I dont know how well of a relationship you have with your local mill,but many will not take logs from Joe Somebody with a pickup and a trailer.Too much chance of orphaned metal from yard trees.You might want to make a few phone calls before you load anything up.

A ramp doesnt have to be anything fancy,drop a couple of 2x12s on the back and if you have a remote for your winch stand at the back and hold your toe against the end of the board.I did that for some time before I found a metal cart that Home Depot threw out because the wheels broke.The kind that you use for hauling your bags of concrete out to the truck at the store.Diamond plate and very sturdy.Cut the broken wheels off, welded a piece of angle iron to one end to hook on the back of the frame of the trailer, and its a very wide and sturdy ramp.Even drove my buddies tractor on to the trailer using two of these ramps. I dont know how well of a relationship you have with your local mill,but many will not take logs from Joe Somebody with a pickup and a trailer.Too much chance of orphaned metal from yard trees.You might want to make a few phone calls before you load anything up.

Nice with the broken cart, people laugh at me all of the time for my salvaged inventions like that. I was thinking about welding some pretty serious pipe to the end of a ramp to keep my cable from wearing so much coming over the end of the trailer. Do you think a 3,000 pound wench would be enough to get much done? I'm staying away from monsterous logs for the most part..

Nice with the broken cart, people laugh at me all of the time for my salvaged inventions like that. I was thinking about welding some pretty serious pipe to the end of a ramp to keep my cable from wearing so much coming over the end of the trailer. Do you think a 3,000 pound wench would be enough to get much done? I'm staying away from monsterous logs for the most part..

3000lb oughta do it just fine, I often use my warn 3700 to pull stuff in the trailer,even up some pretty steep hills.If you bog your winch much, consider getting yourself a snatch block or pulley.It will double your pulling power and take some load off of your winch.If you are going to be pulling for an extended period of time,give the winch a chance to cool off every other log or so.If you cant touch the winch,its getting to hot.

This is what I sell as a cord for $225.I will do $200 if they are in my town. Most people say they didn't order that much.They only wanted a cord. Most also call back and say they can actually burn it.

I DO NOT stack.

I do sell half cords.

Any lip about it,I tell them not to buy my wood.

I have been getting $250 a cord in feeding frenzy season but like you if near I may sell a cord for $200 or in the summer (today I sold one) $200.

But a couple of years ago I bought an insert for my one ton pick up and can get $150 for a half cord so I am happy to sell it that way to people that do not want a full cord (quantity) and then I am getting $300 a cord (all collect first so I can drive right outta the driveway while my dump is still coming down :)).

I don't take any schit or make any deals on anyone else's terms like you tho as I enjoy the firewood sales and they ain't gonna ruin it.

Mulberry?

Thanks for the winch advice, I haven't fooled with snatch-blocks but I'm sure as heck about to grab one.

I live in a temperate zone, southern Illinois. We get harsh winters every now and then but they only last from november to march or so. I haven't been selling firewood for too long, but I don't get many requests for cords around here I guess because of the moderate winters.

That being said here's my pricing- I sell mine by the shortbed s-10 load, tossed in willy-nilly because that's the only vehicle I had when i started and there are a lot of small trucks rolling around here. I get 30 bucks a load picked up, 35 delivered. I'm thinking about going 35 picked up for premium woods this year like white oak, hickory and mulberry. My grandpa has a convenience store with a little chunk of open yard behind it which I have converted into my little firewood arena. I have made a drive through path surrounded on both sides by truckload mounds on pallets. I arrive at this truckload stacks by triple handling one load: splitting, tossing it in the truck then taking it back out and stacking it, then mirroring the stacks accordlingly as I split along the path. People come to the store, throw the cash in the bag, and go grab a load of wood. If they have a full size long-bed, they can buy two at a time. If they have a trailer they can chuck till their heart's content, but it's 30 bucks a whack. I still haven't measured up to see what my tossed truck load is compared to a cord but I think I'm doin alright and people think it's great. And a funny note: in an area where wood heat isn't core, i swear some people think Ash is made of golden fibers, maybe just because of the name? "ASH, yes make sure to give me all ash, that's a great price for ash"

Hopefully someone else can make part of what I do work for them too?

Does anyone sell apple wood or mulberry (female) to barbecue joints or for smoking meats? If so do you get a different price? I mean they are some of the best wood to burn for heat, but there's just not much of it. I was thinking the lack of and the use for smoking might fetch a better price?

IMO it is more trouble than it is worth seperating woods for specialty orders. My wood is either black or white....bad (tossed out or chipped) or good (sent up the conveyor. Ash is ok in limited quantities in a load.

Now the stuff that goes to my basement wood furnace....that is another story. Prime stuff only.

Up here, I sell about 75crds per year of pine blocks with some spruce thrown in.
When I was living in Ontario and had a phone,lol.., any customer that was a hard sell on the phone, I'd simply say that if they didn't like the look of the wood when I drove up their driveway they didn't have to take it and we'd part as friends.
That always cinched the deal.
John

shack.jpg

Up here, I sell about 75crds per year of pine blocks with some spruce thrown in.
When I was living in Ontario and had a phone,lol.., any customer that was a hard sell on the phone, I'd simply say that if they didn't like the look of the wood when I drove up their driveway they didn't have to take it and we'd part as friends.
That always cinched the deal.
John

shack.jpg

Thats Awesome yukon!

What size do you all spit? I have a small heater and about the size of a 4x4 or a little bigger works out good. Ive been splitting a little extra wood to sell thats about the same size. A neighbor thought I might wanna split some alittle bigger.

So, whats a good average size? 4x4,4x6,6x6? Or a variety size of all?

What size do you all spit? I have a small heater and about the size of a 4x4 or a little bigger works out good. Ive been splitting a little extra wood to sell thats about the same size. A neighbor thought I might wanna split some alittle bigger.

So, whats a good average size? 4x4,4x6,6x6? Or a variety size of all?

I cut most of mine 18 x4x6 in that ball park

Latest posts

Back