Anybody tried smoked wild game?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! :cheers: I've only ever done some moose and a deer haunch myself. I can imagine that the pig was fine! I've tasted a few at pig roasts and deffinatley one of my favs! :cheers:

Most wild game is too lean and dries out over long cooks so I wrap it with bacon or inject it :) Mmmmmmm, Bacon

Rabbits and Speckled Belly Geese(AKA: Ribeye in the sky) are my favorite game animals to BBQ.

a lot of deer, pheasant, and turkey. Using apple for turkey is pretty tasty. Mesquite on venison is pretty good, too, but i have to buy mesquite.

My dad once told me they cooked up a coon when he was a kid but it had a real gamey taste to it . Ive never been that hungry to ever try it .

LOL, you can sell fresh coon for good money around here:monkey: . I've only had it a few times and they always boiled in salty water before cooking it in the oven or bbq. I'll stick with rabbit

The coon was good, i don't know how they prepared it. They may have soaked it in something to get the wild out of it. But if they ever offer it up again, i'm there.

They can be good, if you know what you're doing. I was told there are seven glands that must be removed from the meat first or it can be pretty rank.

They can be good, if you know what you're doing. I was told there are seven glands that must be removed from the meat first or it can be pretty rank.

Good to know. There's plenty of them around! The little buggers try every year to gain entrance too my barn or house. The house has allot of gables on it and they always exploit some little space and try to burrow in.:chainsaw: That's what my stainless Ruger 10/22 is for :clap:

turkey and pig comes out great for me.
Ive tried deer moose & elk, they all came out too dry. I havent tried injecting it though... hmmm, I think its time to try again.

During hunting season I hunt twice a day. I make about 300 pounds of venison sausage a year and smoke about a 1/4 of it. It's great. I'm still learning the art of smoking but I'm happy with the results. I own a restaurant equipment repair buisness so I built my own smoker and it works well with deer,pork,or beef. Smoke it low temp and slow. I find that the best way to drink beer and enjoy fine quality red meat from my land.:cheers: :angry2:

Most wild game is too lean and dries out over long cooks so I wrap it with bacon or inject it :) Mmmmmmm, Bacon

Rabbits and Speckled Belly Geese(AKA: Ribeye in the sky) are my favorite game animals to BBQ.

Perfect advice! Lean meat is the enemy of smoking. Dry and tough is all you'll end up with.

Latest posts

Back