anybody use log tongs ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Krause

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
we use a knuckle boom with no grapple. so we use the certified overhead lifting log tongs. i don't like them. last summer we had a log come out of the tongs and smash the truck. no one was hurt but it was close, operator error. then a few days ago we had one slip, didn't fall out, but it was close. they're a lot faster than a strap, but are they to dangerous?

Never had any issues, we keep the tips sharp, even tap them in with a hammer if we have doubts. Fastest method we have used.

We used them for only the large logs, no major problems. The rest get chained.

LT...

Log tongs?

:D
The only times I use "log tongs" (which I've always heard as "skidding tongs") is for skidding and RARELY to lift a log high enough to rig a proper sling or log chain. They are great for quickly skidding large logs for short distances. I've always felt that an adequately rated sling with tag lines is the only safe way to lift a log over objects you don't want to crush.

Last edited:
When I had my knuckleboom, I always wanted to try using a tongs but we always stuck with loop slings or loop cables because I was too nervous about having one slip out and hit the truck...

Hope your truck didn't get buggered up too much by the falling log.

unsafe imo. why use tongs when a grapple is available. if you dont have the coin for the right equipment dont use equipment half assed or it will come back to bite you

unsafe imo. why use tongs when a grapple is available. if you dont have the coin for the right equipment dont use equipment half assed or it will come back to bite you

dont tell him that, people use homelites, craftsman and poulan chainsaws afterall

When I had my knuckleboom, I always wanted to try using a tongs but we always stuck with loop slings or loop cables because I was too nervous about having one slip out and hit the truck...

Hope your truck didn't get buggered up too much by the falling log.

broke the windshield, cracked the hood, and ripped the mirror off. it could have been a lot worse.

broke the windshield, cracked the hood, and ripped the mirror off. it could have been a lot worse.

The winch cable broke on my knuckleboom while I was trying to lift off the trunk of an elm tree from its stump. It was still slightly attached and fell in slow motion across the fender and hood of my truck and grazed the side of the homeowner's house. The damage to the house was minimal and my truck was needing a new front clip anyways. Insurance paid for it all minus the $500 deductible so all turned out for the best in the long run... :)

I've had a couple logs slip using tongs. A cinch cable is a better solution, on longer logs, use two. It takes longer to disconnect than tongs, but the added safety is worth the time.

"Log Tongs" are designed to be used with corresponding size logs. They make smaller tongs fro smaller wood and larger for larger logs. We use two sets one small and one large, also chokers work good for bundles.
Rule numero uno is "DON'T GET UNDER THE LOAD" Sounds like you proved the reason for this point though. Rule numero dos ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!
Work Safe!!!

I had some log tongs, 32" I think. They are OK for moving logs horizontally, across the ground, aka skidding. And yes, I had always heard them referred to as skidding tongs. I found that I would rather use 5/8" steel chokers hitched to my timber and the back of my JD650 dozer than screw around with the tongs. Rarely, if ever, lost a log that was hitched with a choker. Lost em all the time with skidding tongs. We have rocks in Upstate New York, and if ya bump one with your precious sawlog that your skidding with tongs, your prolly gonna lose the log. Then ya gotta back up, get off the machine, reset your tongs, and try again. Too much effort. Go with chokers. Plus, you can lift vertically with chokers when hitched properly, where as tongs should NEVER be used for lifting, only skidding.

it's 9 am and I'm ready for bed... gonna be a long day.:givebeer:

we use a knuckle boom with no grapple. so we use the certified overhead lifting log tongs. i don't like them. last summer we had a log come out of the tongs and smash the truck. no one was hurt but it was close, operator error. then a few days ago we had one slip, didn't fall out, but it was close. they're a lot faster than a strap, but are they to dangerous?

I personally don't think lifting tongs are dangerous.

We have used them for years to load logs. They are handy. Before we got an actual log loader tongs were the only way to lift the bigger logs and odd peices of wood. Much easier than jacking around with straps. We used straps for the smaller logs

You just have to learn how to work with tongs. Yes, small logs can slip out of them. We would pile and bundle the small logs if you want to call it that with a crane strap and them slip the end of the strap over the end of the tong to load them. Then we would slip the end off the tong and pull the strap up. Worked ok, much better than hand loading and faster for the small stuff.

My concern with tongs wasn't so much the logs themselves but getting those tips stuck in your arm or leg or beaned on the head while the tongs were being manuvered around by the boom.

Logs can also fall out of a grapple the same as they can tongs if you can't get a good bite on them. Loading logs should always be considered dangerious no matter how the method. Logs can slip at any time during the loading process.

Larry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back